Author Topic: Morelli & Melvin Boardworks 14 Thoughts  (Read 14328 times)

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Morelli & Melvin Boardworks 14 Thoughts
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »
Anyone have a Morelli & Melvin 14 that wants to share some info? I am looking to replace my 2011 Dominator with one. Tried one yesterday and really liked it. Felt a bit tippier than the bark but it was pretty choppy out. The nose did not seem to catch as much as a displacement nose, felt kind of like my Glide.

Looking to see if anyone has made a GPS comparison to the Bark or any other 14s, and is around my weight (190 Lbs). I am concerned about the low volume (205L) with my weight. It felt good but I was only out on it for 20 minutes or so.

Ponobill, if you read this, I know you did some GPS work and felt it was slower than the Bark. Do you think it was an issue with it not floating your weight?

I just cannot find the sweet spot on my Bark. Looking at all the options out there.

Esteban

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Morelli & Melvin Boardworks 14 Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »
I have one that I just got and raced in the recreational 4 mile race at the Hobie / Hennessey race at Doheny beach this last Saturday ...felt fast but a little tippy I think due to the rounded bottom shape. I was leading into second buoy where I fell ,  got passed and stayed in second for remainder of race . Therea
Was some bump and chop out on the course but wind was only maybe 5-8 mph. Fell in one more time . I weigh 190 and have a fair amount of time on SUPs and have done maybe 10 races, normally on stock boards. My GPS track has an average of 11.46 min/mileWhich compares to another race I did on stock of about the same distance averaging 12.18 on a fanatic 12'6" x 30" carbon fly, so maybe a little faster but definitely more tippy feeling I want to do some GPS tracks against a Bark, have a feeling Bark would be faster as well....
Just my two cents!

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
Thanks Esteban!

That was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Do you think time on the M & M will result in better stability? Is it only for lighter riders in your opinion?

I did a race  last Thursday and fell in right at the start on the Bark. It also cost me a position, pushing me into third. Nothing worse than losing a spot due to a fall!

The Bark's magic has so far eluded me. It always feels slow on the upwind with the large displacement nose going thru the swells not over them. The downwind feels worse for me. When I tried the M & M, it felt tippy but was catching even really small runners with ease. The piercing nose did not seem to catch. It is rarely glass flat where I am.

Do you think the construction is as fragile as the Bark? It felt pretty light when I picked it up but I know that they use a heavier foam in the M & M.

Bottom line, do you feel happy with your purchase or do you wish you had held out for another board?

Thanks,
Corey
ps I will try and do some timed runs between the Bark & M&M this week.  One of the local shops has one for rent.

Esteban

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:03:10 PM »
On durability- ended up w 2 top top rail dings after race no idea where they came from , small and no big deal to fix but bothersome nevertheless and indicative of fragile construction at least in that spot , think it must have been from my paddle hitting top half round rail at edge of deck but I don't recall falling hard on the paddle ...?! Heat of the moment?

As for shape and speed I am not sure yet, I think a slightly flatt bottom shape would be better haven't paddled the Bark 14 but a friend has one so will soon...the Fanatic 14 also is supposed to be quite good
I was hoping for more stability if there was more bump I wold have had a harder time, wouldn't want to use it for bigger swells or open ocean conditions , I think it's a great fast board for smoother water conditions at least for my weight and ability
Cheers

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
Haha! Nice comeback  JonathanC! Most of the local racers are jumping on the Ace bandwagon. I have flirted with the idea and did do some demos.

Not really a fan of the price lol. The AST version costs the same as many other brand's carbon in Canada. Although if push comes to shove..

I think the M&M shares a lot of similar design ideas with the Ace. Piercing nose, round bottom and smaller volume. I like the idea that the M&M is more of a traditional surfboard shape for handling.

Corey

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
Corey,

Warren @ Easy Rider has a used carbon SB Ace for sale. Comes with a b/b too. Shipping wasn't that much.
I had ordered a SB Race from him last year and had it shipped. Might be an option for you.  ;)

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
Thanks westbeach.

Nice deal and Warren is a great guy. The Ace with the footwells is not really the model I was looking for. I think it is the Ace Pro, with only a slight recessed deck (Who can keep up with Starboard name changes)? A new model for this year. The design features are eerily similar to the M&M. I know a lot of local racers have pre-ordered them. Check it out on the Easyrider blog page.

How do you like the Ace? You have any issues getting used to the footwells? I know they are the fastest boards going but dang i like to move around on my board!

We need the weather gods to smile on us soon, it is really cutting into time on the water lol. 

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »
Corey,

True dat about the damn weather! Are you coming down for the Kalamalka Classic in Vernon? I am interested too to see how fast the Ace Pro is. I don't have the Ace; I looked at it once and turned away after seeing the footwells. But I guess it is a fast race board. I want a 14' too but been tossing between the Naish and the Starby. I saw Dave Daums 14' racer and fell in love with it. I guess it will be in my quiver in the near future. 

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gorgeperformance/7325228054/#in/set-72157630022406616
I have found the MnM no less stable than the Bark at 160. It is smooth thru on coming chop. The Dominator is more durable than the MnM. Rack straps crunch , paddle dings and a stump hole have already been issues on our team rider Cyrils
board. He does paddle every day but the glass seams thin on his. The MnM is fast, and Cyril has won the first 3 races in the NW on his MnM.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
i jumped on the 14' M&M and it just felt right…so i bought it.  that same weekend i demoed 11 different 14' boards including Bark, Infinity, Fanatic, Starboard and others.  Only the M&M and Fanatic felt responsive at my height 5'9 and weight 175ish. 

PROS: feels fast and easy to get up to hull speed, stable enough not take away from energy and stroke, responsive tail and easy to maneuver at the bouoy, cuts through oncoming chop with ease

CONS: easily nicked up, water stays on deck a bit longer than i like

I am very happy with my M&M. The volume and maneuverabilty makes it a great choice for mid sized paddlers like myself. 

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the info Freetobeme & Gorgebob. It is definitely confirming things for me. Suprised to hear it is so fragile with the 1.5 weight foam. Fragile is one of the things I hate about my Dominator, it compression dings like crazy. Light glassing is never good for a heavy handed person like myself.

Westbeach, sorry I re-read your post, Race not Ace lol. I think I am going to Vernon, should know for sure this Weekend. Hopefully see you there. I know what you mean about quiver growth, it is fun though. I have thought about the Javelin, I am a really big fan of Naish boards ( love my Glide ).

This Weekend I am going to time test the M&M versus the Bark. It should be interesting to see the results with everyone so split on the two.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:50 AM »
Is the Bark you are talking about the Surftech Dominator? We don't get any of the custom Barks in Oz.
If it is then the test we did may be interesting for you.

http://www.supvic.com/the-rps-supvic-ultimate-14-board-test/

And PT and two friends recently carried out a more limited test that made an interesting comparison of the Ace and Ace Pro

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Ace-vs-Ace-Pro-vs-Coast-Runner/

Sorry to go off topic

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 07:14:06 AM »
Corey,

The Race is a great rough water board; but in flats it is a good workout paddling the race. Where are you demoing the M&M? I would like to try one out. I will be in Vernon that weekend; I am helping out as well as racing. Will be a great time. Looking fwd to meeting you there.

Neal

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 08:09:33 AM »
Paddled the 14' Surftech Bark all last year and this year switched to the carbon Boardworks M&M.  A few differences in my opinion... I am 188-190 pounds. The M&M GPS's faster.  It is lower volume, but floats my weight easily.  It is slightly less stable, but hasn't been an issue yet.  The Barks tend to still go up and over chop and waves, while the M&M punches straight through.  This took some getting used to, as the nose spends a lot more time under water, but it doesn't slow you down or "bog" down.  What it does do really well is buoy turns... it is super stable even when you walk way to the back of the board. The fin box is very far forward, which also helps spin turns, but at the same time, tracks very well.  I had horrible luck with the durability of my Surftech Dominator (went through 2 of them), and it was WAY too flexible.  The M&M is rock solid stiff, and is worth the extra couple pounds over the Surftech.

The only board I've paddled that is faster is the custom I made this winter, but it is an inch narrower and doesn't buoy turn nearly as well.

Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal