Author Topic: SUP'ing the Kona One - tracking  (Read 9719 times)

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
SUP'ing the Kona One - tracking
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »
I picked up a Kona One a few months ago and gave it a try as a SUP. I have a Bic Jungle Wind that I've used as a crossover for about a year but wanted something with a retractable daggerboard that could plane. The Bic never planes like the Kona One or a short board but it is absolutely AMAZING to sail in low wind and waves.

After getting on the Kona with a paddle I noticed that it just wasn't tracking straight. With every stroke it would spin out in the opposite direction. I tried it with a 32/38/46cm fins and they all did the same. The Bic tracks 100x better as a SUP than the Kona; with a 28cm fin. I could get a few strokes in on the Bic on either side before it would start to turn a little but the Kona just spins.

I understand the Kona's is an actual sailboard but is there something that could help me keep it straight other than lowering the daggerboard? Technique? I thought I tried different strokes but it was so disappointing that I just went back to shore and stuck a 9.5m sail on it. :)

thnx

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP'ing the Kona One - tracking
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
I had a Kona One, just put the centreboard down a little. A fin with a wider base helps too.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
I'm going to have to get my Kona in the water and check that out. I haven't done it in a while. I hope to get back to you soon on this.

-Ian
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
It was weird, I had to switch sides after each stroke. I found that very annoying as the board just kept turning on me. I remember trying to paddle straight back as well as under the board to straighten it out but it didn't make a lot of difference. The only way I could get it to go straight was paddling once on each side.

I guess I should have learned there's no perfect, one, do it all board from the Bic.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »
Ahh, the search for the elusive "one-board-quiver" foils yet another zoner..    :'(

Seemingly obvious question:  where are you standing on the board...are your feet behind the front foot straps?  If so, you are standing toooo far back.  Need to move well fwd.  My Starboard Rio (Kona wanna-be) works like that.  If I stand far enough fwd of the front straps, it paddles OK.  (No speed demon w a paddle though.)

(OK, technically the Kona is an Exocet board, right?  Don't blame Bic!   :D )
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »
Ahh, the search for the elusive "one-board-quiver" foils yet another zoner..    :'(

Seemingly obvious question:  where are you standing on the board...are your feet behind the front foot straps?  If so, you are standing toooo far back.  Need to move well fwd.  My Starboard Rio (Kona wanna-be) works like that.  If I stand far enough fwd of the front straps, it paddles OK.  (No speed demon w a paddle though.)

(OK, technically the Kona is an Exocet board, right?  Don't blame Bic!   :D )

Not possible to stand behind the front footstraps on the Kona, at least for me. I guess if I was planing with the sail, I could. :) The Kona has the duck tale and there's barely any volume there.

I stand almost centered on the board, just a bit behind. I tried moving around on the board, it didn't help. Don't get me wrong, it's possible to paddle the Kona but it's probably also possible to paddle a bathtub that floats. I just couldn't believe how much it wanted to turn. It was as if I was trying to turnaround when I wanted to go straight. I remember the first time I got on the Bic and I did not have such a bad experience. Maybe it's the extra volume of the Kona? My only other experience on a SUP was with some rental board that I don't remember the name/brand of.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about either board, I love them both for their own things. Though I can only fit so many boards on the top of the jeep and usually don't want to bring more than two. (long and short) I've already learned to "bring everything" for windsurfing gear and that means the jeep is packed to the ceiling.

I'm debating on picking up another dedicated SUP, Naish Glide 14. It has a mast insert but I want more of a SUP this time. LOL and now that I think about it, I'm still looking for something to stick a sail on. I just hate getting to the beach and wishing I had brought the other board.

Edit:
Forgot to say that I did NOT try putting the centerboard down to see if it would help the tracking. I remember thinking about it but I didn't want to sacrifice the speed/glide. That's why I changed the fins but that didn't help.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:45:01 PM by norcom »

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:32:54 AM »
Norcom:

Check out this past thread on sailing the Glide 12 and 14....video included:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=7702.0

Naish no longer puts the mast insert in the Glides, I believe.  Maybe 2010 or 2011 was the last year they did?  Anyhoo, you maybe a sailable Glide is the solution to your unscratchable "itch"...   ???

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 07:09:36 AM »
I didn't have that kind of a problem with paddling the Kona. Are you standing too far back?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:15:44 AM »
Just spoke with the shop and it looks like the 2010 Naish Glide 14' they have  (wood and ast) don't have the mast insert. :( Very disappointing.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »
Just spoke with the shop and it looks like the 2010 Naish Glide 14' they have  (wood and ast) don't have the mast insert. :( Very disappointing.

14 footers don't jibe. I put a mast foot on my raceboard. Didn't work all that well. You can't get back on the tail and still reach the boom to jibe.

12'6s are the max length you want for jibing in my opinion.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »
DW:

No planing jibes on the raceboard -- but how did it SAIL?? 

Sound like a lot of fun, and something I'd like to do to a 12'6" raceboard...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
A little faster than a regular SUP. but still slow compared to a windsurfer

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »
I tried paddling the Kona again today and it went much better this time. There was absolutely no wind and the water was glassy. I don't remember the exact conditions the first time I tried paddling it but it wasn't this calm. Used the 46cm fin and it tracked much nicer. I probably should have given it more time the first round.  I did not like the way it paddle with the centerboard lowered a little.

I'm still not sold on the Kona as a SUP. An hour later the wind picked up and I was planing non stop. Definitely one of my better sailing days.  :)

As for the Glide 14 I didn't want it to be a full time windsurfer but I really wanted the mast insert option. I'll still be shopping around to get a dedicated SUP. Too bad that not ever SUP has a mast insert.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:10:17 PM by norcom »

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »
FRESH FROM THE BOX!
"Always use fresh macaroni, if the box rattles, THROW IT AWAY!"

Picked up the 2010 Naish Glide 14' wood! No mast insert :( Paddled it out at the local lake earlier today. It's crazy light compared to the Kona One. It seems to glide and track nicer than the Kona but it's not perfect by any means. I think I expected more but then I thought if it did that it would be even harder to turn. I did around a 4 mile trip up and down and on the way back I was going upwind. Wind was getting pretty heavy and I struggled a bit, wishing for a sail. I could have probably planed if I had the Kona and my Ezzy Infinity 9.5. Put some power down and got back.

I like the board and can't wait to take it out again. It's a great option to have between mountain biking, windsurfing and kayaking!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:20:18 PM by norcom »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal