Author Topic: Dock Locks  (Read 10075 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Dock Locks
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »
I just used my Dock Locks that I bought from Paddle Surf Warehouse.  I can not tell you how much that little bit of added security can do for your piece of mind.  It is much like a combination bicycle lock, that loops through a set of metal jaws that clamp down on your leash post or other tie down post.  The clamp can not be removed while the lock is threaded through it.  It will not stop a determined thief, but will deter or stop an opportunist thief, which I believe would most likely be the type to steal a paddleboard.  Seeing the coiled cable attached to a roof rack or some other object will make then just keep on going.  That frees you up to do what you want to do with the confidence of knowing that your board will be there when you return.  I even leave mine on the rack overnight.  About $40.00, but well worth it to protect your investment and stop you from worrying.  Two thumbs up from me!! ;D 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Dock Locks
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:55:38 AM »
Raven,

Glad you like your Dock Locks they are great...But I just thought I'd clear up pricing it is NOT (or shouldn't be) a $40 item although $40 is well worth it To avoid that sinking feeling after your favorite boards been "lifted"

ANYWAY we have them for sale for $25 (not $40)

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »
Thanks for the correction Jimk.  My recall about what I paid was fuzzy.  Your price sounds better!! 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
A very nice product but it gets tricky for multiple board stacking. Be sure to get both leash plug and fin box that way you can lock stacked boards easier. 

The coiled lock could be a couple of feet longer for race SUPs.  I have a second cable that I run around to lock up the bigger boards.  It looks like a mess but it sure is nice when leaving them out after a session.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
The leash clamp can be difficult to fit in some narrow leash plugs, with the leash tie in place, so make sure to get the fin box clamp, if you have a narrow leash plug.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
Like the look of this for leaving my board on the car at work if I want to paddle after. Anyone recommend the best place to get these from in Canada?

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
Here is the link to the board lock I have used.  The nicest difference between this and the dock locks is that the cable lock is not coiled.  It is straight.  The coiled cables are a pain to deal with.

http://boardsecure.com/

He sells them on ebay for about $25 + 7 shipping
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Dock Locks
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »
Better yet, take it off the car & lock it under a tree or in the shade of your office building (if its a secure area). I have a black carbon board and this is the ticket for after work paddling w/o worrying about it baking.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
Here is the link to the board lock I have used.  The nicest difference between this and the dock locks is that the cable lock is not coiled.  It is straight.  The coiled cables are a pain to deal with.

I agree about the coils.  I prefer the straight cable.  How's the cable on it.  Pretty thin?  I wish they made them a little more heavy duty but maybe not so necessary. 

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »
I just ordered the ones in the first post. I wish I could have it for this weekend but I guess I can stick the board in the van if need be.

Raven rider do you have any issue putting it on your raven? Does it work in the forward plugs with the bungee on the board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 08:22:44 PM »
Like the look of this for leaving my board on the car at work if I want to paddle after. Anyone recommend the best place to get these from in Canada?

I also have to leave my board on my car when I’m at work if I want to paddle after. I’ve been using the SteelCore security straps. They are way more expensive than the DockLocks, but not that much to spend considering the cost of replacing my board. I may add one of these leash plug locks as added protection.
It's all relative.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
Boludo,
The cable was much thicker than I expected.  It would take a large cable cutter to get through it. It is as thick as a very good bike lock, but not a motorcycle lock.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »

I have tried to contact those guys for about 2 weeks, I left phone messages and emails, no reply!

Looks like a good product but i guess customer service is a no go with them  :-[ 

I just want to no shipping time frame & if i could rush shipping if necessary.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »
I have bought 2 from him off ebay and got them within 3 days. Used the buy it now so I didn't have to wait.

CTsupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »
I also use a Dock Lock.  Definite peace of mind - It's a simple, inexpensive product that works great. I agree the coil isn't ideal and it's not something I can leave on while driving  - unless i took the effort to secure the cable. If someone wants to get your gear though, they're going to get your gear - A cordless angle grinder would make quick work of most options I'd think - but I think most of the bad guys would be opportunistic, looking for unsecured things to just grab and go. The Dock Lock is more than enough to thwart the hooligans (been waiting a long time to say "thwart")

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal