Author Topic: Inexpensive Paddle Recommendations  (Read 5750 times)

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Inexpensive Paddle Recommendations
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »
I'm looking to buy a board and paddle but want to keep initial costs low for starting out.  For a paddle for mostly flat water use, how's the Werner Fiji paddle?
http://www.rei.com/product/833325/werner-fiji-stand-up-paddle-one-piece

I'm 6'1" and was thinking about getting an 82".  Think that would be the right size?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Inexpensive Paddle Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »
Probably as good as a hundred dollar paddle is going to be.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »
Probably as good as a hundred dollar paddle is going to be.

Concur...if you want to start out with low prices, look at used SUP gear on Craigslist or in Stand Up Zone classifieds. People are constantly upgrading or changing their equipment, and if you are patient and a discriminating buyer, you can find some really good deals which include a nice carbon fiber paddle. Shop for the high end, name brand companies or custom makers who have been making boards for many years...there is a lot of cheap, low end junk on Craiglist to avoid as well.

For new gear, the old maxim holds true - you get what you pay for.

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Any tips or recommendations as far as paddle length, width, shape, etc?

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I bet you more like 83 to 84". 100 square inches to start, lighter the better. A used demo paddle probably a smart way to go.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »
 If you are going the cheap route, you can still get a 'decent' paddle without spending a lot of money by checking out the Epic Gear paddles. The fixed length standard all-carbon 9" blade goes for around $199 and for $90 more the 'Elite' Epic Gear is almost as light as the Ke Nalu (sorry Bill) and offers a unique square-val shaft... Of course, another $30 gets you a Ke Nalu xTuf Wiki or Maliko  :D...           Paddle on,      JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
The Werner Fiji paddle is actually a pretty good paddle for the money.  The biggest downside is that the plastic blade has a lot of flex.  When you are just starting out it won't bug you but it's not a high performance paddle.  Going with a good used paddle is probably the best way to go if you want to save money, know what to look for  and have the time to hunt for the right one.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

jkinsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
I'm looking to buy a board and paddle but want to keep initial costs low for starting out.  For a paddle for mostly flat water use, how's the Werner Fiji paddle?
http://www.rei.com/product/833325/werner-fiji-stand-up-paddle-one-piece

I'm 6'1" and was thinking about getting an 82".  Think that would be the right size?

Just went through this as a rookie looking for a flat water paddle. Started by looking at that EXACT same paddle. Went to REI and felt Quickblade, etc. At that point I went on a mission to find a good used paddle (https://www.craiggers.com was my best friend). Ended up with a Kialoa Methane that I absolutely love. I am about 6 and it is an 80". Works great...
I also purchased an Epic Gear Adjustable for my other board set-up. Its ok...
Also - buy used as I am surprised how many times it gets bumped putting it away in the garage, in the car, on the board, etc. Trying to learn the tricks of the trade but two 12 ft boards, two paddles, leashes, an 8 year old and a 4 year old is a lot to manage for one dude. :)
I figure as I get better and learn more, I can always upgrade!

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 07:43:58 PM »
Great info.  There isn't much of a used paddle board market where I live and starting out I'd prefer not to buy something used online.  I also want to pick something up sooner than later so will get the Fiji to start.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I'm pretty impressed with the Kialoa Ikaika series with CFRT blades. Inexpensive and very tough. If we ever do a low price paddle it would probably be similar materials. I don't have any plans to head that way, in fact the new designs we're working on head even further away from entry level--not on price, but in the requirement for a good stroke. But CFRT is a very interesting material.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
I don't no if you bought your paddle yet, but i just saw this C4 one piece fiberglass about the same weight as the Fiji for $99.
http://www.paddleboarddirect.com/C4-Stand-Up-1-PC-Fiberglass-8-5-Stand-Up-Paddle-p/c4-stand-up-1-piece-fiberglass.htm

I don't no if one is better than the other but this C4 sure seems to be on a good mark down price, and looks like a good one from the very limited info that i have.  $10 shipping is pretty good also. I think i might get one of these while im saving for performance paddle.

Any opinions of which is a better paddle C4 fiberglass one piece, or the Warner Fiji?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Inexpensive Paddle Recommendations
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »
I  don't know about this paddle but doesn't it have a round grip and not a T grip?  That might make it difficult to orient your blade correctly.

I've bought paddles used from from Craigslist and new from Backcountry.com in the past.  BC has a Kialoa Methane for $203, a Werner Nitro for $179, & a Werner Carve for $131.  Free shipping in the USA I believe.

All things said I recommend investing in a good paddle - you'll change boards faster than paddles and a heavy or awkward one will wear you out.

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »
Fishman - I have seen the Werner Fiji Paddles in the shops and the blades are flexible, which I would not recommend for anyone except small kids.  I was looking at the Fiji for my son who is 12 and they said if he gets stronger in a year, the flexible blade would to flimsy for any kind of performance.  You would have to see it or feel it in person and then you would get it.  No other blades on the market have any flex.  I have a Werner Carve in fiberglass and am really happy with it and the blade has no flex at all.

The C4 for $99 is a steal in my opinion.  I would jump on that one if I didn't already have a fiberglass paddle about the same weight.  I believe the round handle is only on the adjustable C4 Stendy.

I am currently looking to upgrade to a carbon paddle, but paid around $220 plus tax for my fiberglass paddle almost 2 years ago.  So if you are saving for a more expensive paddle, get this $240 paddle for $99, so you can take your time and try as many carbons as you can.  Because dropping $300-400 on a paddle is not cheap.  That's where I am right now.   

You can always keep the $99 paddle as a backup, and that C4 is definately not comparable to any other $99 paddles.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »
Agreed, the C4 Fiberglass paddle is a good paddle, better than the Fiji and a great deal for $99.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
Thanks guys for the insite.

I bought two C4's and got free the shipping. my sons birthday is taken care of and i'll have no unfare advantages when i beat him racing  ;)
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard