Author Topic: Cutting through the paddle hype...  (Read 17033 times)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Cutting through the paddle hype...
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:34:10 PM »
The paddle I surf with every session was the free one you get when you buy a Riviera. It's a "Danny Ching" model.

It works, I've never thought much about it.

I want to buy a second paddle to have on hand. I've only been SUSing since August 2011, so I'm a relative novice when it comes to knowing all the brands etc.

Here's what I've picked up on so far (I could be wrong):

QB = market dominator, great marketing, high end $300+
Werner = popular across a few sports, high end $300+
Kailoa = smaller brand?, high end $300+
Ke Nalue = just discovered them in this forum

Do I need to spend $300+ for a decent paddle? I've got 100 plus sessions on my $100 paddle.

So, what's the hype in the paddle industry and what's actually legit?

I'm willing to pay for strong and light if it will last.

Any help?
Taller than most, shorter than others.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: Cutting through the paddle hype...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »
Yes, you NEED to spend $300 plus for a good paddle. 

The 4 brands you mentioned are legit.  I would add the 2012 Riviera Vantage paddle to that list, since you are already familiar with the brand.  I have one in the shop, and its very, very nice.  Thinned out blade, 8.5" wide, total weight 16oz. 

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
The better you become, the better you'll want your equipment to be.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
I agree, for all paddling and especially for flatwater/distance, a good light carbon blade makes a huge difference.  I often tell new paddlers, even if you for a cheap board spend the money for a good paddle.  QB, Kialoa, and Ke Nalu are all excellent paddles, you cannot go wrong with any of them.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
The better you become, the better you'll want your equipment to be.

I'm plenty "good". That's what I'm saying. My cheap paddle (carbon shaft and blade), weighs about a pound and has served me solidly for almost a year.

Not sure what a $350 paddle would do differently.

I'm all about paying for legit equipment, but can't figure out the paddle thing. For all I know, QB could be the same paddle as I have with a different logo on it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:23:57 PM by sup_surf_giant »

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
One thing you will notice about your current paddle is how thick the blade edge is.  The Danny Ching Riviera paddles (maybe not the elite race model) are quite thick; you are plunging about 2x the mass of a high end Kialoa/QB/KeNalu/Riviera Vantage.  And you will notice a difference in weight. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »
Giant,

PM me to give a Ke Nalu a try... if you go X tuff and factory second on the blade... you can get an amazing paddle for a really good price.

I was a really die hard [other brand] fan... die hard... and had their really good paddles (for surf and distance).

Then I tried that stupid Pono Paddle... different game.  I have a medium blade with extended adjustable handle.

Different game.  You will know what I mean after you try it.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »
One thing you will notice about your current paddle is how thick the blade edge is.  The Danny Ching Riviera paddles (maybe not the elite race model) are quite thick; you are plunging about 2x the mass of a high end Kialoa/QB/KeNalu/Riviera Vantage.  And you will notice a difference in weight. 

Do you mean 2xs the surface area?

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
Yeah, SSG....I too was of the same opinion about paddles as you, and got the one that I was using for quite some time the same way as you....as part of a package.

I fought it for sometime, and then wanted to see what all the hype was about, so set up a demo with Ralph Bill out of Huntington Beach, to try one of the Ke Nalu paddles.  

As soon as you pick it up, grab the handle, and even before hitting the water...you can instantly feel the difference.  Once you're on the water, the difference is night and day.

I demoed the Wiki (ordered the Maliko though), and even though it was considerably smaller in size, the pull was much more solid and I never realized just how much my other blade wobbled in the water until I had this one to compare it to.

The best part though, was that for reasons unknown, with the old paddle, I was experiencing shoulder pain to my right side.  I originally thought that it was just my newness to the sport and lack of proper technique, and that it would subside over time.

Well, after several months, the pain was still there (and even getting worse), but after paddling the Wiki, I didn't have the same amount of pain that I typically did with a paddle session of the same duration using my other paddle.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't some sort of miracle, the discomfort was still there....just not to the same intensity as previously noted.

Now after using the Ke Nalus for a couple of months now, I can say that the shoulder is pain free, and I'm able to spend more time falling off my board than I was before with the old paddle.   :D

Anyway, don't know where I heard it, but it made a lot of sense......"They call it PADDLE Boarding for a reason.....when not use the best paddle available to you?"

I'll be down Friday through Tuesday or Wednesday.....you're more than welcome to give mine a try if you wanna meet up some place.   Lemme know....

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »
Yeah, SSG....I too was of the same opinion about paddles as you, and got the one that I was using for quite some time the same way as you....as part of a package.

I fought it for sometime, and then wanted to see what all the hype was about, so set up a demo with Ralph Bill out of Huntington Beach, to try one of the Ke Nalu paddles.  

As soon as you pick it up, grab the handle, and even before hitting the water...you can instantly feel the difference.  Once you're on the water, the difference is night and day.

I demoed the Wiki (ordered the Maliko though), and even though it was considerably smaller in size, the pull was much more solid and I never realized just how much my other blade wobbled in the water until I had this one to compare it to.

The best part though, was that for reasons unknown, with the old paddle, I was experiencing shoulder pain to my right side.  I originally thought that it was just my newness to the sport and lack of proper technique, and that it would subside over time.

Well, after several months, the pain was still there (and even getting worse), but after paddling the Wiki, I didn't have the same amount of pain that I typically did with a paddle session of the same duration using my other paddle.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't some sort of miracle, the discomfort was still there....just not to the same intensity as previously noted.

Now after using the Ke Nalus for a couple of months now, I can say that the shoulder is pain free, and I'm able to spend more time falling off my board than I was before with the old paddle.   :D

Anyway, don't know where I heard it, but it made a lot of sense......"They call it PADDLE Boarding for a reason.....when not use the best paddle available to you?"

I'll be down Friday through Tuesday or Wednesday.....you're more than welcome to give mine a try if you wanna meet up some place.   Lemme know....

Wow! SUSers are so generous!

I'll have to check my schedule for this weekend and get back to you.

Mean time...

I may have undersold how ghetto my current paddle is.

Check it: http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/collections/sup-paddles/products/riviera-scout-danny-ching-carbon-fiber-sup-paddle

I feel like it's a pretty solid paddle.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cutting through the paddle hype...
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
Dang it , will someone please give the KeNalu paddle a bad review so that I'll stop thinking about getting one! 

Good paddle does make a difference - much more than you think.  Keep an eye on Craigslist if funds are tight - they do show up (not KeNalu but Kialoa, QB, and Werner).

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »
Dang it , will someone please give the KeNalu paddle a bad review so that I'll stop thinking about getting one! 

OK, here goes....
I think the ergoT handle should be 2" longer.  Then everybody would get a free 2" of adjustment with every paddle.  Cut it too short no problem, just pull handle out a little  ;D

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 04:59:02 PM »

Good paddle does make a difference - much more than you think.  Keep an eye on Craigslist if funds are tight - they do show up (not KeNalu but Kialoa, QB, and Werner).

When you adjust them incorrectly (leaving them slightly twisted after pulling out the extended shaft a little), they do poorly.

Oh, and there is no Ke Nalu gear to show the world how cool and underground you are...

And after you get one, you are tempted to (or actually do) evangelize so much about them, your friends start calling you a "flopper."

That's about it.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

StuBro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
+1 on the KeNalu paddles.  Night and Day difference you notice the first time you take a stroke.  The lack of flutter is just amazing and the thing is dead silent if you reach on the catch and feather on the recovery.

mjd

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • neverbored board shop
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »
This is funny.  I started out with the Danny Ching also.  For surf and flat water and I thought I had an amazing paddle.  Then I got the Ke Nalu X-Tuff and it was like a whole new experience.  It is lighter and it tracks much better along the rail.  I can pick up speed at a much quicker pace too.  So yea, at least demo some of the better stuff out there- it's definitely worth it.
You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal