Author Topic: Wondering how much is board, how much it's me  (Read 12614 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Wondering how much is board, how much it's me
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Yeah...don't remind me. Kind of ashamed I've let myself slip back so far. I was 245 for the 1st CCBC, signs of a sixpack starting to show. Didn't have too far to go to the lean me. I'm skinny at 220, my weight from ages 15 to 23.

I had added back 10 when the shit hit the fan and my little friend started growing again and I missed 2009. Doing absolutely nothing and the post surgery steroids ballooned me. I put on 30 lbs in about 4 months. But since then it's just been me being either too busy or too lazy (both) and making poor food choices.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:36:57 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 03:53:47 AM »
Thanks for the kind words both Matt and Jim. Was that you on the green Lahui Kai Jim? I was chasing you until you went down. What happened? fin catch on the edge? I almost went down when I cut it too close a couple times. I was glad the woman on the paddleboard stopped to make sure you were OK...I slowed down to check but when I saw you climbing back up I figured it was my chance....(we need an evil grin emoticon)... ;D

Lol, no that wasn't me who fell. I was behind you the entire way. I was on a yellow Bark. Looking at the results that must have been Pat Hull who fell in. He was about 50 yards in front of me when he fell. I saw the girl stop to check on him then I asked if he was ok when I caught up to him. He said he was then proceeded to get in front of me again. Once we rounded the island I was really trying to catch you guys. I managed to pass him with a mile or so to go but couldn't touch your lead. You stayed really consistent.

I just started SUPping last August. This was my second race after The Charles a couple weeks ago. Huge amounts of fun.

Jim
Bunch of old shit

Hoffenator

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 04:18:14 AM »
Bob, thanks for posting the race results showing that I came in dead last  ;D When I first looked at the results I almost fell out of my chair thinking a finished ahead of Mike Brown  :o Then I remembered he was on the sidelines watching. I'm living proof that it is more about the paddler and not the equipment. I was out recently with a very strong paddler, we swapped boards, my Starboard Race and his Bark Competitor. He pulled ahead of me and consistently gained distance on my Starboard. I'm 53 and 180lbs, not in bad physical shape, but not used to the endurance needed to be competitive in a SUP race. I also think technique plays a huge role, got some good tips about stacking shoulders, reach, cadence, maintaining planing speed, but I've still got a lot of learning and work to do. Bob, you finished in the top 10, pretty damn good for an old geezer. Congrats to all of the top finishers. Bill

PS I think Barks are great boards
PPS I recently picked up a Ke Nalu wiki, more proof that its that paddler and not the equipment!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 05:28:52 AM »
LOL...sorry Bill. I figure its cause your such a nice guy. I can see you letting everyone else go first. While I was wondering how I could knock everybody down at the start and get away with it.... :o
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »
Maybe it's just me but it seems Bark boards tend to be under appreciated in the "zone". Of all the fancy race boards on the market it seems the Bark boards show up the most when looking at results. I think it's fair to say they show up on the podium more then any other brand. Just my observation, not sure what it means. (I'm ignoring Hawaii as it's very specialized over there)

Starman..I don't think the Barks are under appreciated. Quite the opposite...everyone is hoping to find a board that is faster than the Barks...with not too much luck....so they can get an advantage. We've seen a lot of new designs in race boards particularly the last two years but the Barks are still doing the job based on results. Your observation is correct. The Barks dominate the podiums here that's for sure. I think they've become the race board that others are measured against.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:28:26 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »
Really, we're kind of bored with Barks, they don't change much, they just keep going fast. I'm still kind of irritated that I had to buy one to get the fastest board for me. I want the NEW wine, not that OLD wine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »
Really, we're kind of bored with Barks, they don't change much, they just keep going fast. I'm still kind of irritated that I had to buy one to get the fastest board for me. I want the NEW wine, not that OLD wine.
If Joe Bark is the Roger Penske of SUP's, then you are looking for the Jim Hall of SUP's, but without the Phill Hill of SUP's paddling it how are you going to know.

If I am not careful, I might date myself
Obfuscation through elucidation

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »
I dated myself for a while, but got tired of always having to pay.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 01:41:19 PM »
The blisters make it hard to type too... :o
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
There's a lot worse ways to date yourself than remembering Jim Hall and Phil Hill. This is the back wall of my office--a shrine to Phil. I got to race him once--he was driving the 375 MM Ferrari that he raced in the Panamerica Carrera with. It was a vintage race at Pacific Raceway in Kent, WA. A very fond memory of a really fantastic guy. RIP Phil.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
There's a lot worse ways to date yourself than remembering Jim Hall and Phil Hill. This is the back wall of my office--a shrine to Phil. I got to race him once--he was driving the 375 MM Ferrari that he raced in the Panamerica Carrera with. It was a vintage race at Pacific Raceway in Kent, WA. A very fond memory of a really fantastic guy. RIP Phil.

Though identifying with them can get you in trouble. Once just south of San Francisco I got pulled over along with another car. The CHP walked up to me first and asked me if I thought I was Mario Andretti. Being an idiot teenager I promptly said. "No. Sterling Moss." Then he went up to the other car and told them to go so he could come focus on ticketing me.  ::)

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »

[/quote]
I have always had a thing for the Gulf color scheme and design,  917-something? in the rain, LeMans?

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »

You cheap bas..... well I guess it is OK as long as you don't get all kinky and tie yourself up and stuff

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »

You cheap bas..... well I guess it is OK as long as you don't get all kinky and tie yourself up and stuff
Most pathetic thing I ever heard was Gary Shandling saying "When i'm not in a relationship, I shave one leg. That way when I sleep, it feels like i'm with a woman".

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »

Most pathetic thing I ever heard was Gary Shandling saying "When i'm not in a relationship, I shave one leg. That way when I sleep, it feels like i'm with a woman".

I am again reminded of Tom Waits and "All my Friends are Married".  "I treat myself nice, take myself out to diner, I don't get kinky, I don't tie myself up"  Which I paraphrased earlier, now you remind me of the line about "2am, making the scene with the magazine".  Good thing there are not a lot like Tom around

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard