Author Topic: The Chilly But Smokin Spring and Summer Gorge Report  (Read 99140 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Chilly But Smokin Spring and Summer Gorge Report
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
The graph shows a spike of 9.5 so the max speed was probably just an error where they added a one in front. 

What do you reckon the current speed is?  And how much does it change throughout the year?  I would guess it's strongest now.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
PB says 3.5 mph and I think that's pretty close in what they call the Bonneville Pool - the lake behind Bonneville Dam that extends all the way to the Dalles dam. Of course the current varies depending on where you're paddling in relation to the bottom contour. Right now, it's got to be running 2.5 to 3.5 mph.

Interestingly, in Lake Celilo which is upstream above the Dalles Dam, the current seems to be much stronger. There is great windsurfing between Maryhill WA and Rufus OR but in the Spring, the current up there probably runs over 5 mph. I haven't paddled any of that water yet but a couple of friends (Mark and Josh) paddled it in an OC1 and on a ski and said it was just ripping, and that was in late July.

The current is strongest in Spring through the end of June. When the snowmelt is in full force, it is generally the strongest but how much water they let out of the dams can make a big impact not only on current but on water level as well.

I would guess there is always at least a 2mph current. I had a sailboat on the Columbia for more than 20 years and we'd anchor and swim from July through October and there was always enough current that you had to be careful not to get swept too far from the boat.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:15 PM »
After a few days of flat glass, the westerlies returned yesterday. Made a run in light 5 mph to 25 mph wind yesterday and another today. Water temp is up! Must be in the high 40's or even 50 degrees.

Since today looked like 10 to 20, with a bias toward the 10 mph end of the scale, I finally broke out the Jav. What a blast! In the windiest sections, the swell was about 3+ feet and the Javelin actually gets glides and handles pretty well.  You can't really turn it with the rail like you can on the Glide but using the paddle on the side you want to turn towards works. Plus it gives you some added stability. The round, tall rails are something to get used to but the speed is addictive. It was easier to keep the board speed up sufficiently to catch and link glides better than on the Glide. When you do stuff the nose, it seems to cut through the water instead of stalling the board. Stepping back pops it up pretty well.  I only fell twice, which is pretty typical (at a minimum) no matter what I'm on.

Yesterday's run had less current than we've had lately. The people at the dam seem to randomly change flow and water level although I'm sure there is a logic to it. Maybe.

Shot a short vid of yesterday's run on my Glide. Can't wait to try the Javelin again, it was sure fun to have that additional speed and reduced strain to paddle it hard.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: The Chilly But Smokin Spring and Summer Gorge Report
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2013, 10:25:06 AM »
CS, you torment me with your four functioning limbs!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »
So Cove, I ate dinner last night with a Canadian who told me about all the heavy metals, pollutants and radiation that go into the Columbia, from BC and the nuke plant at Hanford, Wa.  Sounded grim.

So my question Cove, is since you spend a fair amount of time in that river, are you growing any third eyes?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
Historically grim, when they were making plutonium for bombs at Hanford they dumped about 50,000 curies per day into the river. They had retention ponds for the cooling water, but it was a flow-through system with about a week of holdup, so only the really nasty short half life stuff decayed away. All the longer lived stuff went right to the river. The bottom mud near Hanford is still pretty toasty but you need some pretty sensitive gear to measure anything more than ten miles from the tri-cities. There is a wave of contaminated groundwater moving to the river that will get there about 2020. It's supposed to get stopped by the big cleanup efforts, but senators have found they can use superfund dollars as pork, so a lot of the money slated for that cleanup has been diverted to more politically important things--like getting senators or presidents elected.

Realistically though, groundwater doesn't move the kind of transuranic nuclides that would be of greatest concern very far, and it's probably bullshit. There's a delightful tome I enjoyed once by the EAEC called Transuranium Elements In The Environment that you might consult for more information. Or you could stick icepicks in your eyes and spare yourself real agony.

PCBs, dioxin, pesticides and bacteria from waste overflows are all present at fairly high levels--not as much as in the Willamette, but high for a river this size. Quite a bit of metal contamination comes from clearcuts and farming activity. Not a big deal for the Anadromous fish (Salmon, steelhead, etc.)--they aren't there long enough for it to accumulate, or anyone swimming in the water, but if you like to eat carp or suckers, then you might have a problem.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
Ha! There you have it.

Two bacterial infections in 56 years: one from the river and one from Maui. I don't worry too much about the river,  if I didn't spend so much time in it, I'd die from mental illness.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
Small group of us did a quick d/w from Viento today. Most awesome was that PB is back. I'll bet that cold water was a real shock to his system after months in Maui though.

I think Rod and Jan were checking out the maximum hull speed capabilities of their boards. I managed to keep them in sight the entire run but they were getting a little bit hard to see at times. ;) 

I tried a Bullet 14, fixed fin. The conditions were not what you'd call big - maybe 3 to 4 foot swell, pretty solid 15 to low 20's wind. Plenty of current. Really like this board. Very stable and plenty of acceleration to catch glides, seems to hold the speed really well which helps you link glides. Need more time on it! Probably going to ride it again tomorrow.

Sounds like the usual suspects will materialize if the wind is blowing. Good times.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »
Cove... You stole my partner... now I'm the lonely guy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
My nuts are slowly descending from my chest cavity after three falls. I think they're somewhere around my liver right now.

Cool that Big Winds is setting up a shuttle service. we all get to do the first test run as a freebie tomorrow. Game changer.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:44:00 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »
I am planning to connect with you all at Nicholas. Are you wearing full 4/3s still?
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »
Nope, trunks, tights, and a jacket. Too hot for wetsuits, at least it is if you're shaped like an Orca.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »
Bob, I used a 3 mil farmer john. I was good, even with a few quick dips. Probably could get by with a shorty farmer john.  Just don't lose your board or they'll have to fish you out, frozen, likely with retracted nuts.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »
I was feeling left out until this talk about retracted nuts.... guess it's not so bad here.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »
Sorry HM, Bill's earlier post was even more descriptive.

The water is still freakin cold.

If you visit in August, it's still cold by Maui standards but more tolerable for sure.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill