Author Topic: Friday family session  (Read 3301 times)

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Friday family session
« on: August 18, 2007, 03:33:27 PM »
After being “dry docked: for over a week (minor work/back injury) I was finally able to go out again last night. It was a family affair as my wife (Brooke), kids and neighborhood friend of my son all piled in da van and headed out to Haleiwa harbor.

We are blessed to live near the ocean and it took longer to tie down the boards than it did to drive to the harbor. Upon arriving was I was a little concerned about the trade winds which were blowing a hefty but typical 15+ knots. Thankfully, inside the harbor is well protected and as the afternoon wore on, the winds died down considerably to make for exceptional, not to mention beautiful, conditions.

I was sooooooo stoked as Brooke and I entered the water. This was my new paddle (all carbon C4) and my wife’s 12’ Munoz maiden voyages. My wife started off on her knees (yea, yea, yea I made a few crude infantile jokes……lol) since the Munoz was a lot more “tippy” than the board she learned on. But she did great and once on the inside cove at Puaena point she was standing up. Although falling many times she hung there and made excellent progress.

I reminded her of what Curtis Miyashiro said. We met him at the WET FEET shop the day before when we were buying our paddles. I made the comment that despite being together for 18 years, Brooke had never surfed. Curtis responded by saying to her “the first time you stood up on the board and took a few strokes, you were SURFING!. You should have seen the smile on her face when he said that! I could not been prouder and she was just beaming!

We paddled all over the place and got a great workout, Up to the point at Puaena, where she got a firsthand look at how strong the trade winds were outside the protected cove & harbor and back again. At one point we needed a rest, so we just laid back on our boards and soaked up the sun. We were only interrupted when a Honu (turtle) broke the surface to see what the hell those crazy humans were doing now!.......………it truly was a special moment. I see a lot of turtles and sea life when surfing, but SUP gives us such a different perspective.

I then took my turn on the 12’ Munoz. Blane and others have encouraged me to use this board for “training”. It is an excellent long board but was not designed for SUP. Between, the V, the narrowness (26.25) and my own weight it was definitely difficult to master. However, I stayed with it and discovered I had to simply let my surfing instincts take over and once I quit fighting it I did much better. My goal is to master this board so I will be that much when I get my new board in a few weeks.

The day ended with us teaching our kids on the Munoz. My son and his friend (both 12yrs old) picked it up really well and within minutes were paddling up and down the shore line. My daughter had a tougher time but she too, hung in there and had a blast. Not bad way to spend an afternoon, not at all!

For 40 years prone surfing has primarily been a solitary adventure. However SUP is something my family can do and enjoy together. I will certainly have my solo sessions when surf season hits, but I truly love the way it is bring my family into the ocean with me!

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Friday family session
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »
The Munoz is definately a challenging board for SUP but it does surf well... Check out on the Photo Gallery shots... The "watching the lip" image is that board...  He rips on it... It will serve you well.. especially at the price you paid for it...  :)

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Friday family session
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:09:06 PM »
We just got finished putting a deck pad on the Munoz. I wont blame the wax soley for my difficult start but it certainly did not help. I cant wait to try it now!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill