Author Topic: Young Ripper Benoit Carpentier Highlights From the Sunset Pro  (Read 2853 times)

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Gold Beach challenge & Race the Rogue River is shaping up.  Could use some more confirmed entries. Not sure if it is a last minute thing or not. At least  I have heard from a ton of the Maui guys as well as the Hughes brothers.

Check out Ben Carpentier footage from the Sunset Pro.  Made it through the trials and into the quarter finals.  His mom said he turned 16 over at the Sunset Pro.

http://www.standuppaddleboarding.tv/Standup_World_Tour_sunset_pro_2012.html

Pretty unreal how well these kids use their paddles.

Ted

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Young Ripper Benoit Carpentier Highlights From the Sunset Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »
That wave is so big and mushy. It's mystifying to watch those guys navigate it. That kid is going to RIP in a few years. Whoa.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:31:32 PM »
Big and mushy until it stands up on the inside and you end up in the spin dry cycle.  Lots of impact vests.  My take on Ben is he is ripping now.  Thanks for the comment.

Got the confirmation that Zane Schweitzer will be at the Gold Beach Chanllange June 10th through the 13th.  Still waiting for Kais dad to email me back on
Kai.

http://www.standuppaddleboarding.tv/standupshowdown2012.html

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »
Big and mushy until it stands up on the inside and you end up in the spin dry cycle.  Lots of impact vests.  My take on Ben is he is ripping now.  Thanks for the comment.

Is the impact vest about flotation or protection of sorts? I've never heard the term until you mentioned it.

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »
Both.  It's a big wave thing.  Keeps the wind from getting knocked out on a wipeout.  Understand helps gut you to know what direction up is when you are held down in big surf.  Just what I have heard.  Pretty sure it's a laird thing.  Maybe I got the term wrong but thats what's going on.

Thanks

Ted

You can see them in the wipe out video.
http://www.standuppaddleboarding.tv/Sunstepro_round_3_wipeouts.html

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Young Ripper Benoit Carpentier Highlights From the Sunset Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
Sunset is my favorite wave in Hawaii and it's also where I've taken the worst beatings of my life. It does look deceptively mushy from the beach, but it's steeper than it looks unless the swell is way north. The amount of speed you can get just from dropping in is ridiculous. It's shifty and wild, and there's always a nice sneaker waiting to clobber you when you miss a wave.

Definitely not an easy wave to surf. These guys just make it look that way.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Young Ripper Benoit Carpentier Highlights From the Sunset Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:33:28 PM »
Sunset is my favorite wave in Hawaii and it's also where I've taken the worst beatings of my life. It does look deceptively mushy from the beach, but it's steeper than it looks unless the swell is way north. The amount of speed you can get just from dropping in is ridiculous. It's shifty and wild, and there's always a nice sneaker waiting to clobber you when you miss a wave.

Definitely not an easy wave to surf. These guys just make it look that way.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I noticed that from watching all these vids.

They're pumping and hopping through the mush then all the sudden they are trying to outrun the sucking bowl and then...SLAMMED. Looks VERY challenging to navigate. I'm sure local wave knowledge is worth at least a few 8 pt rides.

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:10:24 AM »
kneecap
Yea I get what you are saying.  Going through the files its just crazy how the wave stands up and crushes those guys. 
2 waves,  Big face to carve and chance for the barrel.  Question is on the heavy inside wave what's the reef like?  Seems like it's got to be pretty shallow. 

Ted

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal