Author Topic: Loose fin?  (Read 1508 times)

SpecialK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Loose fin?
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »
Quick question: I just installed a Becker race fin on a Bark Dominator. Should it wobble (side to side), or is something off?

Nevermind, it seems common and could just need a shim. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:42:42 PM by SpecialK »

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Loose fin?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
Quick question: I just installed a Becker race fin on a Bark Dominator. Should it wobble (side to side), or is something off?

Yep. Shim. I use thin celluloid.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »

It's a fairly common issue and I usually cut up an aluminum soft drink can so I end up with a piece about 4" x 2" and wrap it around the base of the fin and push the fin back down into the box.

DJ

Land_by_sea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:31:41 AM »
My center fin is also very loose in the fin box.  I mean really loose, both side to side, and forward/backward.  Even when tightening the screw all the way down, I can slide the fin backward and forward with a little hand pressure.  I have a factory/cheap fin and looking to upgrade.  Do you think there is potential an upgrade will provide a more "snug" fit or should I be prepared for the shim no matter what based on the fin box design? 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal