Author Topic: using your paddle under water  (Read 3856 times)

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
using your paddle under water
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
obviously, we all were taken for a rides... When under the water I was always holding to the paddle in a neutral relaxed way, so just not to loose it.

this winter I had an elbow injury and my left hand is not completely healed, because of that last week in Punta Mita in order not to loose it I was holding to the paddle for real.

Couple big waves (1.5 overhead) had eaten me and I realized that I was pushed deep down. I realized that it was a paddle that was pushing me down, and thats because I was holding it very strong and the handle was pointing to the beach and down. Naturally the blade was working like a spoiler on the tail of the race car...

So next time when it took me for a ride I made an effort to position it with the handle pointing up not down. I was also holding the paddle in the different place - as close to the blade; one hand on the neck, and another probably 2 ' up. Thats to reduce the leverage. The result is amazing - you are on the surface while it is still dragging you towards the beach.

You still have to adjust to the situation - sometimes it drags you on your back, sometimes on your belly; just remember to position the blade as a wing not as a spoiler. No matter really where your handle will be pointing, may be not towards the beach, but towards the sea, - but position your blade so you feel how it pulls you up.

Hope this will be helpful for someone...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: using your paddle under water
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
Thanks, it's a good tip. Brian K in one of the C4 videos shows this but I didn't know if it would work with a normal human doing it. ;)

I actually haven't been able to use it to pop me up but I did use it just yesterday as an anchor to add some drag and not go as far back.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
in general i dont worry about it-after all i live in California-not exaclty huge waves-but in some good sized waves i guess i tend to hold the paddle sideways actually so the drag of the sideways blade slows my descent-then when i feel my body go neutral buoyancy-i push down hard like i have a big fin and propel myself upward.
works for me-interesting topic-never really thought about it.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
I have been doing this for awhile. You use it like a flap on a plane... And it pops you up... Every time.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »
Great tip ... thanks.  I hate getting creamed with all this SUP gear and so far it has just beaten the crap out of me.  Time to start using the blade for some much needed air.  So blade angle is up...  towards the surface? 

I think that's my problem in this pic.  My blade tip was angled away (because I had just been paddling).  What I really needed to do was flip it over quick like and it would have kept me on the surface?   As was, I was under for a long time.

Winter is over, no surf around here. (Actually we're supposed to get some south)  Have to wait till next fall to try it out.  Hope to remember.

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 01:18:12 AM »

I think that's my problem in this pic.  My blade tip was angled away (because I had just been paddling).  What I really needed to do was flip it over quick like and it would have kept me on the surface?   As was, I was under for a long time.

I think the problem was a lack of speed. You really need to be going faster to barefoot ski.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
headmount, did your shades make it through the spin cycle with you?

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
thats a great pic HM. :D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:30:50 AM »
The hat blew off first before I started bare footing  and then the glasses were ripped off under water but I had that radio antennae orange Union 76 foam ball attached to them and found them right away.   But like that line from Welcome Back Kotter, it was up your nose with a rubber hose.  Had water draining  for a few days.

Still need to make sure which angle the blade should have.  i want that free ride to the surface.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »
Blade angled behind you is fine, you don't need it in front. The key is to push your handle hand up so the blade is angled down. If you're being dragged by the foot it pops you right up. You mileage may vary in non-drag situations. I've been trying to use my paddle in the spin cycle for years, ever since Randy (admin) told me it was helpful. Mostly it seems to give me something to do while I'm waiting for the world to come back to normal.

Kalama saw me screwing around with my paddle while a big Kanaha mushburger rolled me around. He paddled over and said "are you okay". I think he thought I'd lost my marbles.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56:06 PM »
I usually try to get it behind me and push down with bottom hand and pull up with the top hand. Like a hard backpaddle.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard