Author Topic: Downwind in NorCal  (Read 6860 times)

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downwind in NorCal
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »
Great thread.  Gary (and others) do you know of anyone doing downwinders on Tomales Bay?  It seems like a good spot as in the Spring and Summer the wind really picks up mid morning (usually) and blows in from the mouth of the bay down to the shallow end.  The bay is narrow and shallow and seems like an ideal place to learn about this aspect of the sport.  I know nothing about DW on a SUP but it's something that I can't wait to try.

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
Being fairly far south of Tomales Bay I don't know anything about it from experience or research. But if you look into it, let us know what's up. It could be a hidden gem, who knows?

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
Having rowed out of Sausilito, I have a question.  How about launching from Rodeo Cove in Marin Headlands, paddle around Point Bonita, finish at Point Cavallo, just in side the Golden Gate Bridge?  On an flood tide of course.  I have rowed out to Point Diablo several times, on a flood tide.  It is quite a ride.  If you do this, you want to aim close to the north end of the bridge, to make the corner into Pt. Cavallo.  Otherwise, you will end up in a very rough tide rip, just past the bridge.  And that isn't easy to get out of.

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
Being fairly far south of Tomales Bay I don't know anything about it from experience or research. But if you look into it, let us know what's up. It could be a hidden gem, who knows?

I'm thinking it could be a very fun, somewhat beginner friendly DW run.  A launch at the boat ramp at Nick's Cove then head west about .5 miles to Hog Island and Duck Island then head south 7 miles to Chicken Ranch Beach (on the Pt. Reyes side).  Within the next few weeks, I will check the forecast for wind and then take some video if I go out.  I will be on my 11'6".

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
I not sure of your overall expierience.  So, I want to make a few comments about tide.  Last week, I was staying at Stinson Beach.  I launched into the Bolinas Lagoon from the Seadrift boat ramp, on an incoming tide.  I headed toward the ocean. When, I rounded the corner to the channel, the tide was flowing really strong.  I went about 25 yrds, the rate increased, then each stroke took me about 10 inches.  It was fun riding back.
So, check not only which way the tide is going, but how much change there is.
For Bolinas I was able to find a chart, which is helpful.  Yeah, I should have tried to find one before posting.  Sorry.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
Try this.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
Tide table: Inverness, Tomales Bay, California 38.1133° N
tides.mobi

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »
I not sure of your overall expierience.  So, I want to make a few comments about tide.  Last week, I was staying at Stinson Beach.  I launched into the Bolinas Lagoon from the Seadrift boat ramp, on an incoming tide.  I headed toward the ocean. When, I rounded the corner to the channel, the tide was flowing really strong.  I went about 25 yrds, the rate increased, then each stroke took me about 10 inches.  It was fun riding back.
So, check not only which way the tide is going, but how much change there is.
For Bolinas I was able to find a chart, which is helpful.  Yeah, I should have tried to find one before posting.  Sorry.

Good point.  That could certainly make a big difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal