Author Topic: Downwind in NorCal  (Read 6861 times)

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
Downwind in NorCal
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:49:38 AM »
I'm just starting to get into downwinding here on the north coast of Santa Cruz/San Mateo County. I know there are similarities and differences between here and Maui for example, but I'm wondering what they are specifically re wave riding and ocean conditions (yeah, I know it's a lot colder here and not as windy (although we get a decent share of 20-30 mph days) and types of boards being ridden.

If anyone has thoughts, insights, thread referrals, links, etc. I'd be interested in hearing them.

Thanks,
gary

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downwind in NorCal
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »
In those conditions I would go for a board you didn't fall off of very much.  Here it gets fun when the wind speed is over 20 and the most fun is had on boards 14'or over... to 17'+.  The wind waves we catch are created by... wind.  So the stronger the better.  Unfortunately for you, stronger winds also mean colder.  At any rate, it's nothing you want to do alone, so find several mates and figure it out.  Go short at first, find out what issues there are before you over commit.  It's kinda like getting married.  

But I imagine the cold is your biggest concern.  My experience with cold in the mountains isn't good.  Hands stop working, feet stop moving and I guess eventually you just stop.  That said, this is an energetic activity and with a good wet suit on a sunny day, you might even get too warm.  And bring drinking water.  

Someone put a recent pic of me on your site.  Probably my crazy pal in Tahoe.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:36:58 AM »
I don't know how long the fetch of the swells you're going to be riding is, but it takes some serious distance to get big, long period swells like Maliko has. If the fetch is shorter it will probably be more like the Columbia--potentially pretty big, but short period and steep-faced. If that's the case then shorter boards are better--14 is about the max that's useful and an old 12' surfboard is pretty ideal--something like the Starboard 12'6" or 12'2" or a big Laird.

I do my spring Columbia paddling in a drysuit and then switch straight to boardies when the air temp gets much past 70, with lycra Triathlon tights (definite lycra abuse) and a long-sleeve shirt that will dry fast. After a dunk you have ten minutes of brutal wicking but then it starts helping again, unlike cotton that will be cold all afternoon. If you're not falling much then that's a good setup. Wetsuits boil me. You mileage may vary.

Leash always. All the usual stuff you might want if you get blown somewhere you don't want to be--life vest (belt type), camelback, Pocket Fuel, cell phone in a waterproof case.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »
Billy (Butch made me call you that) and PB, that is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I've been submerged in your 37 page (and counting) Maliko thread for the past two days (I think I'm only to page 10 or something though.) There's a lot of great info in there esp re the Maliko run, but also good general stuff that I'm cherry picking.

I'm following a lot of your advice already esp. re safety, hydration, going in numbers and staying warm. It's cold, and I'm trying out different ensembles to balance being too warm vs. that sickening feeling of core hypothermia you get in your chest after the 8th dunking in 51 degree water. (I think my copious and vigoroulsy delivered expletives after each dump in the freezing brine actually help in raising my body temp back to sub-normal though.)

There are surprisingly few board options around here. I have a good paddling bro who seems to have an endless suppy of high end boards so I've had a chance to try an F-18. (He's got a 17' Bullet and I may get to try that today.) The best SUP shop in our area, Covewater, has the Naish Glide 14 (AST) to rent and I'm basically learning this aspect of the sport on it. So far, so good. Your advice about board sizes is also exactly what I'm looking for.

I figure you folks are at ground zero for world class downwinders and if there's relaible insights and info to be had, you've gottem. So thanks again and I look forward to more insights and to follow your adventures here and Ke Nalu etc.

PS - Butch has also been a great source of info. Had a long Tango talk with him yesterday evening. Would love to get him down here to join us one of these days. The water's colder up where he is so....no excuses. ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
Butch, along with my sister, one Australian and two brothers (as in soul brothers) I know very well still call me Billy.... even tho I have 61 yrs.  That's how I could tell it was Butch. 

Yeah the Maliko thread has some good stuff and a ton of over enthusiastic gloating.  But each time we go out, we learn something.

One of the user friendly things about a Maliko run is land that curves in front of your downwind line that will always 'catch' you.  I would suppose that you would have to be a lot more careful if you didn't have that safety net.  I had an A-fib once and just sat on my board till I got to the beach using my paddle as a sail.  In some downwind locations, that wouldn't have worked.  I don't know how old you are but one of the main causes of A-fib... dehydration.

Also take magnesium at bedtime.

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »
I'm just starting to get into downwinding here on the north coast of Santa Cruz/San Mateo County.

What take-off/landing areas are you using? I mostly paddle on the bay, but I've wanted to get over to Santa Cruz more (I've just paddled near the marina & Cowells).

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
Bill, I'm Butch's age but he says he's got me by a few months. Our geographical set-up sounds like the opposite of yours but there's still a big safety net. The north coast receives a lot of pressure gradient NW wind. But as you get closer to the actual Monterey Bay, the land angles in and if you follow the lay of the land (or bay) you get more into the lee of the north end of the bay. The winds diminish. You just have to make sure you're not too far offshore or you'll have a hard time getting back into Cowells beach in Santa Cruz (where we usually land, have the cars parked, etc.) But no big deal really, because if the wind is howling, and it's northwest, it'll just blow you into the bay and deeper into the lee of the land that pretty much starts at Steamer Lane. So instead of paddling in at Cowells, you can make landfall further south, or deeper into the bay where the wind is even more diminished. You just have to watch out for offshore (easterly) winds. Offshores will blow to (or past) Monterey, 26 miles distant.

Menlo, today was only my second downwind run so I'm no expert by any means. That said our group has been making access at Four Mile beach and paddling downwind to Cowells Beach in Santa Cruz. That's about 7-8 miles. As we get more familiar with this aspect of SUP paddling, we're planning on making runs from Davenport to Natural Bridge, 9-10 miles, and then making the Davy run to Cowells which is about 14 miles. This in preparation for the Davenport Race later this month. Don't know if I'll deem myself ready for the Davy, but there are others in the group who will be ready and will do it.

Please join us on a downwinder, the more the merrier. Send me an email or message me and we'll get in touch. I usually post my experiences on my blog at http://srfnff.blogspot.com/ So check that out occassionally and it will give an idea of what I'm up to.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »
Why magnesium at bedtime?
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 05:48:24 PM »
Atrial fibrillation (A-fib) is most commonly known as irregular heartbeat. Wikipedia says it much better than I. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrial_fibrillation

Some say that holistic treatment is the best treatment, and magnesium is a common sense (holistic) regimen for the treatment of an irregular heartbeat. There are a ton of good links here: http://www.naturalnews.com/027392_magnesium_disease_heart.html

RyanSurfNTurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
Good thread Gary! It's interesting to hear the difference between Maliko and our runs from 4 mile.

Menlo- Come join us for the next run. It will be another good one.  ;D

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 08:12:33 AM »
I put together a video of one of the NorCal, north coast downwinders we've been doing since May. There are a group of us who are consistent about going, and the wind has been such that you can go almost every day. Here's a link to a fairly typical wind and conditions run from 4-Mile beach to Mitchell's Cove (5.4 miles).

If anyone out there wants to join us please contact me at santacruzsurfers@gmail.com I can give you the details and get you on our paddling notification lists. If you Facebook request the Santa Cruz Paddleboard Association (SCPA) group.

Cheers and we look forward to paddling with you.

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »
I don't know how long the fetch of the swells you're going to be riding is, but it takes some serious distance to get big, long period swells like Maliko has. If the fetch is shorter it will probably be more like the Columbia--potentially pretty big, but short period and steep-faced. If that's the case then shorter boards are better--14 is about the max that's useful and an old 12' surfboard is pretty ideal--something like the Starboard 12'6" or 12'2" or a big Laird.

I do my spring Columbia paddling in a drysuit and then switch straight to boardies when the air temp gets much past 70, with lycra Triathlon tights (definite lycra abuse) and a long-sleeve shirt that will dry fast. After a dunk you have ten minutes of brutal wicking but then it starts helping again, unlike cotton that will be cold all afternoon. If you're not falling much then that's a good setup. Wetsuits boil me. You mileage may vary.

Leash always. All the usual stuff you might want if you get blown somewhere you don't want to be--life vest (belt type), camelback, Pocket Fuel, cell phone in a waterproof case.

PB - did I read that you picked up a coast runner for the columbia as well?  How do you like it?  I've had mine in the Atlantic a few times this month and am having a blast working my way up the learning curve. 

KelpFarmer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »
Aloha Gary!

Was able to do the Davy run earlier this year for the Ghostryders paddle and I must say to date it is the best DW run I have done in CA!

PB is right in that the fetch is different than Maliko.  Still learning about all of this but the Davy run was more of a "conveyor belt" with an occasional "hey look I am surfing" feel like Maliko or M2M (that run is just silly!).  In all cases I have used an F-16 and even in the Davy run the rudder is very helpful to stay on the glide...
Need to get motivated to come up your way and do those runs with your crew more often..if we can get a small crew from here in SLO County together to share fule costs it could be a ton of fun....

Sweep on....

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Where I am in the UK the water gets down to 39F in winter, with air temps around freezing. Generally, the most common paddling kit for most people is a long john (or neoprene trousers) with thermal vest, and a good quality breathable semi-dry cag on top. But this may be because dry suits are very expensive here, and would be overkill outside winter months, so most people prefer to use varying combinations and layers of wetsuit and thermal gear as the conditions require. I have several long and short johns built up over several years that vary in thickness from 0.5mm to 4 mm and can be used in combination. Polypro thermal vests etc. are also the most wonderful invention.

As PonoBill says, full wetsuits are pretty dire for downwind. Not only are they restrictive for paddling, but you get far too hot when you paddle in them, and then as soon as you stop you get cold because of the sweat inside the suit. If you have some way of regulating your body temp and adapting to the changes in temp (e.g. via a breathable semi-dry cag with a zip neck) then this helps a lot. Many long johns also have relief zippers which is a godsend when you are miles from anywhere in a cold environment... and want to stay dry...

Unfortunately, downwinding in cold climates usually means getting pretty hot at some point because you have to plan for a dunk even though you hope it won't happen. So hydration is equally important.

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
KelpFarmer, bring your crew from SLO and we'll do some runs. We've mostly been doing the 5+ mile run from 4-Mile to Mitchells Cove because it's fast (about an hour) and easy access at 4 Mile and Mitchells. If we don't fart around and bullshit we can get it all done, shuttle, paddle, etc in about three hours. The Davy to Mitchells run would be twice the fun with a least an extra hour of downwinding but on the downside more time spent on the shuttle legs. That one is about 4.5 to five hours, should bring hydration and a clothing system that is a balance between comfort and safety. But by all means come on up. Contact me for details, phone number etc.

Area 10...first thanks for your great posts. When I was doing board research I read through your comments a couple times. It was all very helpful. I am a neophyte at this game but learning fast and loving it. I started in May when we get strong winds and took some early punishment due to lack of experience and being under dressed. We've had really cold water here but nothing like the 30's or 40's. Since May the water has warmed a bit (mid 50's) and I've gotten better so I don't fall off as much, but I still usually fall off at least once. A dip in 50 degree water is as short duration as I can make it. Still, I paddle in boardshorts and Kore-Dry poly loose fit surf shirt and that is a good late Spring/Summer paddling ensemble. As we get into late Fall and Winter that willl probably change, but not sure to what yet cuz I've never done it.

Late Spring and Summer usually consists of short period, near shore wind swells with small, steep faces in 15-30 mph wind. So far I've found the Angulo Shaka 14 to be a good fit. I think it will also be good when we get more mid-period wind and ground swells as we get closer to the time the NPAC becomes more active.

The video link below shows what I hope our larger fetch downwinders will look like when our hemisphere turns into winter.
Cape Town SUP Downwinder.mov

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal