Author Topic: My favorite paddles.  (Read 7669 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My favorite paddles.
« on: June 20, 2008, 06:46:13 AM »
I just thought I'd share my thoughts on my farorite paddles...they are Kialoa paddles.

There are three or four different models and the two that I like are the Nalu for big power and more flat water and also down winders..It's 9 1/4" x 16 1/2" and 108 sq in in blade area.

BTW..I think the Nalu is named after Daves dog..[:D]

The other model is the most popular and new for 08..The Shaka Pu'u and it's a more surf model..It's 8 5/8" x 16 1/2" and 100 sq in in blade area.

BTW..I think the Shaka Pu'u is named after a famous Hawaiian lifesaver.

I bought my first Kialoa paddle (the Nalu) from SHQ here in Melbourne a few weeks ago and love it so much that yesterday I went back and bought the Shaka Pu'u as well.

Once you've used a Kialoa you tend to be spoiled and nothing else comes close..They are almost $500 Aussie and don't even come with a bag..But Kialoa do have a paddle bag available and they don't cost much..I like the way the Kialoa paddle bag lets you just slip it in from the big end and the handle end can be rolled to adjust to the length of your paddle.

On my last trip to Torquay I got to meet up with Matt who is IMO our best SUP'er and he was raving about his new Kialoa Shaka Pu'u paddle..and I saw that Strapper in Torquay also sells them.

I think the idea is that the slightly smaller blade size allows for a faster paddle stroke when paddling for a wave..The paddles are so light and have the best flex..BTW..the flex is close to what the Werner Spanker has..It's real springy..but the best thing about the Kialoa is the shaft shape..It's by far the thinest and very rectangle in shape near the center of the shaft..and tappers to round at each end..and about the diameter of your finger towards the top..I think this small diameter makes them feel lighter than they really are.

I also love the T grip..For me it's more comfee and offers much better blade control than the more ergo style of the C4 type T grip..One more thing that I liked about these Kialoa paddles is how long they are..Longer than any other paddle..at almost 90" long...even I had to cut some off..Most other brands are about 84-86" max..and a couple of inches too short for me..(I'm 6'4" tall and like a 87-88" paddle)

Another different thing about Kialoa's is their very flat blade face..I like it..It may flutter a small amount (like most others) the first time you try one if you push it very hard..but after using it for a while it will not flutter at all.

Here's some pics of my two Kialoa paddles and the Kialoa paddle bag.

DJ

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: My favorite paddles.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »
I agree DJ.

But next time I order one, I want the dead sexy bright color blades Mel and Blane use.

Come on Kialoa, offer these sexy blades to the rest of us!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
I guess I needed more time on the kialoa's. I loved the spanker from the get go...I had the kialoa nalu flutter on me too. That didn't happen with the spanker. They are definitely nicely made. I liked the shaft too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PlankSpanker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »
I have both the Kialoa Shaka Pu'u and a Werner Spanker. Both are excellent paddles but the Werner is more ergonomic and seems to be more controlled and powerful in the water. When I hand someone both paddles and tell them to pick one, 9 times out of 10 they pick the Spanker. Different strokes for different folks I guess....

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »
I've got the Pu'u- I really like it. I agree- the thin, ovalized shaft is super comfy and extremely light. It's my favorite paddle of the four brands I own.

Now here's the downer... I snapped it in two today!

I bought the paddle in late March and it's now the end of June and SNAP! The paddle wasn't abused, didn't get jammed against the bottom, wasn't chipped-  it just snapped on me midstroke as I was paddling into a wave today (which, by the way, by many accounts was one of the best days of surf in my town in the last five years!).

I will say that I paddle every day- 99% of the time in surf and I crank the paddle in turns - I'm not a weekend warrior so the thing is being put to the test.

I'm going to contact Kialoa next week. I'm more curious about why the paddle failed so early then I am bummed out about it (but I am bummed that I'm going to have to use my back up paddle which isn't the Kialoa- a paddle that I don't like so much anymore). I've seen Big Chuck Patterson cranking on his Kialoa at the Dog Patch and it seemed fine- I'm just curious about what's up with my paddle.

I'll let you guys know how the warranty works out.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »
I have two Kialoas - the Kole and the Pu'u. My Pu'u snapped as well during mid stroke and I took it back to PSH. They wrote up a form to Kialoa and sent it back and I walked out with a new paddle. Kialoa and PSH have my utmost respect for standing by the products they sell.

On another note, my favorite paddle nowadays is the Shaw and Tenney sassafrass model. It has tons of flex and can dig deep or light depending on your desire. Plus it's thin blade allows you to keep your stroke more perpendicular and closer to the board.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »
On another note, my favorite paddle nowadays is the Shaw and Tenney sassafrass model.

Never heard of that one.  Pics?  Info?

Poppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »
Is it the one that looks like an otter tail?

snappy

• Rincon Status
  • what I ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 02:43:50 AM »
Hey Davidjohn its seems only a few months ago you seemed unconvinced about the benefits of a professionaly made quality paddle.Glad to see you saw the light.
I find the real advantage is in the surf where if you miss a wave, your left just in the right position to get crunched by the next one in the set.I have'nt tried the werner or the kialoa yet.can't wait.
Happy paddling.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 05:31:43 AM »
Hey Davidjohn its seems only a few months ago you seemed unconvinced about the benefits of a professionaly made quality paddle.Glad to see you saw the light.
I find the real advantage is in the surf where if you miss a wave, your left just in the right position to get crunched by the next one in the set.I have'nt tried the werner or the kialoa yet.can't wait.
Happy paddling.

G'day snappy...Yeah....you're right...I doesn't seem long ago I was swearing by my home made alloy paddles and thinking I don't need no fancy high tech carbon paddle..  ;D ..and for two years I got by with my stiff and heavy paddles.

Then one day my friend got a new C4 paddle and I had a go of it and thought..Jeeez..Take this away from me..I like it too much but can't afford one..  :D ..Another friend bought a Werner and after having a go of it thought..that's it..I'm getting one.

It really is amazing just how good these paddles are..I think C4, Werner and Kialoa are all excellent..I've not seen or used a Quick Blade paddle yet but I'm sure they're good also..and which paddle is best for you comes down to a personal taste and feel.

After using friends and using a Kialoa I like the Kialoa the best..I think it's the thin blade and skinny shaft that does it for me.. ;D ...BTW...If ever you're in Melbourne you're welcome to try mine.

DJ

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
Here is one not many people talk about: Zaveral.  I have used mine for 3 months now and it is bomber, much like a C4 but seems stiffer and instills much more confidence.  I feel like I can really lay into it with out worrying about the dreaded "snap!"  Knock on wood.

http://www.zre.com/catalog/standuppaddle19ozcarbonfibercanoepaddle-p-142.html?osCsid=bb4c1aafec80b4bf0e5aa5bea6a14c12

What I need is a good adjustable paddle for when I take newbies out to get them hooked.  Any body have a favorite?

Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 12:32:28 AM »

What I need is a good adjustable paddle for when I take newbies out to get them hooked.  Any body have a favorite?

I've not seen one yet but the only good adjustable paddle that I would consider is the new Werner.

Has anyone got one yet?

Do they whistle when the wind blows through the holes?..  ;D

DJ

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »
Shaka Pu'u is the best paddle out there.  Had mine since january and no problems whatso ever.  Had elbow and shoulder problems with my C4, but not with the Pu'u.  Let a guy try my Pu'u the other day and he gave me his Laird paddle.  I just sat and waited for him to finish.  Too heavy of a paddle for me.  Nice pics Dave

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 09:34:28 AM »
On another note, my favorite paddle nowadays is the Shaw and Tenney sassafrass model.

Never heard of that one.  Pics?  Info?

I put a couple pics on the gear section. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to post them here.

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:27 AM »
Not to take anything away from Kialoa paddles, they don't get any better and Dave Chun & Co are a class act but Quickblade Paddles are certainly in line with the best. I've been including them with every Foote board I sell here on the East Coast..no complaints and no breakage. This summer, so far, the demand for paddle boards has increased exponentially and somehow I am a Bill Foote board distributor (by default). I can't sell a board without a paddle

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again