Author Topic: Channels and Chines  (Read 2457 times)

SimonP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Channels and Chines
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »
We've been playing around with various inflatables and soft-tops with mixed results. Inflatables can get bogged down as they flex and sharp edges often trip on eddy lines. This is partially user error but part of the problem is that I do't think the boards are well suited to what we are doing.
If I liken SUP to kayak play-boating, it's 1999 and we're paddling Prijon Aliens. I reckon that we need multiple deep channels and chines to stop a mis-direction of weight causing an off, and creating a secondary water-line for speed and stability. It may even be possible to throw away fins. I think I will start talking to some kayak designers for ideas. Any input most welcome.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:21:26 AM by Admin »

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Channels and Chines
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:18:24 AM »
you mean... like this?

SimonP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Channels and Chines
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
Hi Corran,
I think you're on the right track. I'd love to give one of your boards a go and see how much difference they make. White-water SUP is in it's infancy in New Zealand but we have world-class rivers nearby so it seems crazy not to give it a go even if the kayakers laugh at us.
I'm heading over to Hood River next week for a holiday so it would be good to talk to some of the locals there as the US seems to be well ahead in terms of skill and equipment.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal