Author Topic: Small, durable, waterproof Camera at a good price???  (Read 6897 times)

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Small, durable, waterproof Camera at a good price???
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I would love to hear recommendations for a relatively inexpensive waterproof camera that can be used on flatwater paddles or in small surf...Doesn't need to be to fancy, just something simple that takes good pictures and can occasionally get wet.... :-\ TDE

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Small, durable, waterproof Camera at a good price???
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
I've been through a few waterproof cameras and my latest is the Pentax W90 and it's been good.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod6822.htm

Most waterproof cameras have a weakness and it's usually the door opening mechanism to access the SD card or battery.. or the screen is fragile... This W90 Pentax only has a small'ish screen compared to most others but because my last camera died because of the large screen breaking this might be a good thing.

I think if I was to buy a new camera right now I would check out the new Nikon or the new Olympus.

DJ

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
I would recommend the GoPro camera.  

I am on my 2nd one, just upgraded from the old Hero SD 5mp model to the new HD Hero2 model.  They are currently selling the old stock 1st HD model for around $200.

There are so many add-ons and mounting options, that makes it a fun little gadget.  If that's what you're looking for.

It is pretty simple to use and does take good pics.  I know it's still $200 you're forking out, but it's durable, reliable and upgradeable.

I just got rid of a cheaper no-name 5mp underwater camera that goes inside an underwater case for $99 that took good pics, but sometimes they would come out distorted for some reason.  I was reasonable happy with it  until the case broke and I upgraded.  It looked like this one you can find on Amazon - Acqua DC-1231B Digital Still Camera with waterproof case.  

And there happens to be alot of newer inexpensive waterproof cameras on Amazon as I just looked,  so maybe someone else can offer another recomendation.

Good luck

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
The problem with GoPro's is that they are too bulky to just slip into a pocket in your shorts.. or hang around your neck.. and can't be used for taking snapshots very well plus don't have a flash.. They are good for movies but then most little point and shoot camera's do that as well.

DJ

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »
Yea! Something i actually know about.

(Only because both my boys are Video makers)

The GoPro Hero2 is a GREAT value, and Performs fantastic. The new model Hero2 has 2 different  wide angles, 120 and 90 degrees. And its Slow Motion rate is incredible for the price.
I have heard some incredible stories of how durable they are. Like falling off a motocross bike 60 feet in the air onto hard dirt and still working fine.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:55:11 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
Kodak Playsport. They can be found for around $100 now if you look around. Super compact, HD, and very simple to use. A lot of bang for the buck. I got a video up in the fishing section all shot with it. The zoom and lens angle could be better but they sell attatchment lenses in wide angle and tele. I have not tried them so I don't have any feedback on that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:03:46 PM by lucabrasi »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »
And of course GoPros most narrow angle of view is 100 degrees (around 12mm focal length)... still wide enough to visibly distort to the round.  But if rounding distortion doesn't matter to you then GoPro is fine.  

Any of the ones DJ mentioned feature 24 or 28mm which is around 75 degrees @24mm and 67 degrees @ 28mm.  I think these focal lengths are the trade off points where there is minimum visible distortion (no curved paddles) yet wide enough to minimize the shake you would get as you zoom further.

Google in waterproof camparison or check out dpreview for all these.  Like DJ wrote, little things like size matter out in the water.   Panasonic's can only shoot for 8 min. before re-pushing the record button unless you shoot the video in AVCHD which is timely to edit.

Fujifilm FinePix XP30
Olympus Tough TG-810
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3
Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS
Ricoh PX
Sony Cyber-shot TX10

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »
Correction on the angles of the Hero 2
    2X Sharper Professional Glass Lens
    f/2.8 Fixed Focus
    170º Wide FOV (Including 1080p)
    127º Medium FOV (In 1080p)
    90º Narrow FOV
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
My mistake 90 degree angle of view but still wide enough to visibly distort.  Distortion isn't so bad in and of itself, it's just that we're usually shooting waves of some sort and the wider the focal length the flatter the waves look ... and the more ho hum the video looks.  How often do hear people say, "It was way bigger than it looked on the video."?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »
I have the Fuji Finepix xp10 and like it. Small but handles well. The newer xp30 is 14mps with a 5x optical zoom. Has GPS geocoding. $120 online.
 Also made the mistake of taking my xp10 from cold water pool to hot tub and back a few times in my pocket. Condensation killed it but Fuji replaced it no problem. I've had the replacement a year and no worries.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »
 Hey Tim... I had the Pentax W-90 for a year and a half before it leaked (and died). Replaced it with the Olympus Tough-810 and (so far) it has been a great little camera...         Paddle on,             JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
Canon D10! damn a bit bulky, takes great pics and durable!
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

Nemo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
Sony TX-10 small submerible to 5m full hd 4xzoom. Gopros only have 2 things wideangel and the different mounts otherwise it is very expensive when it comes to picture quality. You always need a camera on land or 3rd person vieiw to make it work in the long run. I'm so tired of long gopro movies with shaky pictures headcams etc. the Panasinic GH2 is a good prised "hybrid" with 100-300mm (200-600mm 35mm eqv.) you will get a pitcturequality thats ir pro i reality... if you hack it it will preform as a $10000 or more videocamera.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
Nemo... did you hack yours?  To how many mbits?  How's that crop feature working out for you?  With the 300mm lens? Sounds cool.  I'm jealous. 

Did you get a water housing for it?  The Nautica looks cool and solid but 2gs.  I definitely agree with you on this camera.

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »
I have a brandnew Sony TX7 wich I got as a replacement for my Sony TX5 that made water after 20 months of intensive use.
loved the TX5 and the new TX7 looks and handles even better and just looks and works likes a normall compactcam.

When the TX5 did break down at my Holiday I bought a Pentax Optio WG1 as replacement (I did not expect I got a new one under warranty)
The Optio WG1 is also a nice cam with good pics and well designed menu but a bit clumsy, big and imo a bit "cheap" design. Fine for outdoor, but too much hardcore for anything else.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal