Author Topic: 9'6" vs 9'10" Fanatic Allwave  (Read 32924 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: 9'6" vs 9'10" Fanatic Allwave
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
So there are pics of Creek on his AW in the surf...you photo hound
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

supthecreek

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
yeah.... sorry JimK.... I have been holding out.:-\

I hate them... I look like a slug in them and the waves were little and crappy... not the kind of pictures you post trying to show off a board.... however this question was about crappy little waves... so I reluctantly threw them out there.... in the name of science.  :'(

I really hoped to get shots of the Allwave doing something more spectacular... showing it's potential better than these very lame shots.

NoVaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »

I hate them... I look like a slug in them and the waves were little and crappy... not the kind of pictures you post trying to show off a board.... however this question was about crappy little waves... so I reluctantly threw them out there.... in the name of science.  :'(

These pics are perfect cause its more often than not what you get on East Coast  (esp in summer.)   I'm looking for a board (I'm 6'2" 215) with good stability, 50/50 surf/flat, durable and the 9'10" Fanatic seems like a good option.  I tried the SB Whopper (10x34 170 liters) last summer (my third time on a SUP) and just seemed unstable in the bigger wind chop.  Is Fanatic any better?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:36:17 AM by NoVaSUP »

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
Creek to respond in 3, 2,....

Anyhoo, I think you're going to get a bunch of "heck yeah" responses.  The AW is pretty popular on this board.  I have the 9'2" and loves it.  I'd think at your size either 9'6" or 9'10" would be good.  9'6" more surfy...
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 06:54:59 PM »
NoVaSup,

I haven't ridden the AllWaves though I'd like to try them all.  I think they look like good boards.  Take a look at the South County's if you can.  I've ridden the 8'11" Blue Dragon (I currently own this), 9'6" Black Dragon, and 10' Blue Dragon.

I previously owned a 10'6" PSH WAA and 10'5" Starboard WidePoint.  Other boards I've ridden are the 10' Mana and the Starboard Whopper (btw, I thought the Whopper was unstable too, even though it's wider).

I've ridden all the above boards at 230-245 lbs. and currently ride at 220.

The South County's are great boards for sloppy Florida conditions.  You mention 50/50 surf/flat water so I'd go with longer vs shorter.  I'd compare the 10' Blue Dragon to the 9'10" AllWave. 

Above all, try to demo.  I've bought 3 boards over time that I didn't ride first for various reasons.  They were the ones I've been most unhappy with.

supthecreek

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
Hey NoVa
The 9'10 is a very stable board... I inched up this fall to 262 so I rode my 9'10. It's a great board for bumpy conditions but it still surf well. Can handle bigger surf as well and is fun to nose ride.

Now that I've gone "primal" I dropped to 230 and falling. I am back to surfing the 9'6 exclusively.
The 9'6 would float you fine, but it sounds like you are looking for extra stability... and flatwater.
The 9'10 is my go to flatwater board... I average 6 miles every trip... it is a nice cruiser.  You can relax on it... take pictures.. it goes in very shallow water (Biggest fin is 5.78")

The 9'10 is a much better choice for flatwater.

I don't believe you would be disappointed if you bought the 9'10 Allwave. I believe that JimK at Extreme Windsurfing (a zone sponsor) has a great deal on the 2012 Allwaves.... same exact board as the 2013... except for color.   jim@extremewindsurfing.com

Check my posts in "sessions" to see the 9'6 on good waves last weekend.
I'm betting you are from N Virginia... if you are near New England... pm me... you can try mine.

Good hunting
Rick

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
HI SUPTHECREEK

At 110kg and for ocean and surfing only, wich of these two you recomend??

althoug i´m new in SUP, i have a "board" background and when i was in shape i was a good surfer.

Mushy beach breaks max 8 foot. Most of the time less than 4 foot

Thanks a lot!!!

supthecreek

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
nacho... you are gonna love SUP!
Give yourself time to adjust to it... it is not an easy conversion as I found out my first few days ;D

Since you were a good surfer... it's a 2 staged answer.

I had no problem surfing the 9'6 at 110K (242lbs) ... I even surfed it in New England winter at 117K (260 lbs)...having said that... it might be a tougher learning curve if you have a lot of bumpy conditions.

I switched back to the 9'10 at 117k because it was more comfortable in windy winter conditions. It was fun to be on a really stable board that still surfed well.

The 9'6 is a much better surfboard in my opinion. The 9'10 feels geometrically bigger to me... but has a nice ease about it.

So... you have to ask yourself a question.... are you willing to put up with a harder learning curve to end up with a better surfing SUP? then go 9'6
If you want to learn more quickly... the 9'10 is the call.

Age and general balance/fitness skills are a big factor... I was very conservative with my beginnings.
I was also a good surfer.... and was still surfing when I made the switch... but the bigger board gave me the opportunity to get better on SUP in a pretty short time.

In either case..... paddle a lot of flat-water first!!!!!! and I mean... FLAT. Bays, rivers, harbors.
You need to be competent on your board before entering the surf zone...... I did not... I went straight into the surf.... I was on a 11'2 x 36" Avanti... my first day I fell 50-100 times... got 1 wave on my knees.... my daughter was peeing herself watching me ;D
By the 3rd day I was surfing... but it was a few weeks to get it wired.... and I was on a monster board.

If you go 9'6... stick to clean days to ease into SUP... It will make the conversion faster.... and be patient.... one day, it will click, and the smile will never leave your face ;D

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
After waiting for two long weeks until the FANATIC 9.6 arrives....
then waiting fot two long weeks until a swell arrives....

Sunday took it out in 1 solid meter of goood wave and i love it!! i manage to catch only 5 waves because there was a strong offshore that throw me out of de face before the take out!

Today woke up at 4 am, drive 150 km to a beatiful place. Sunrise at the beach break, hot water, only friends in the water.

1.5 solid meter in some sets/series. Faces doble over head sometimes..

another 5 good waves and only more love.

But...shit happens, broke my EX NEW BRAND SUP !!!! snif snif

anybody thinks this can be fixed?? in the bottom dont have any marks...

GReek thanks a lot, THIS WAS THE SUP FOR ME (hope still is...jejejeje)

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »
my friend and his emergency exit.

supthecreek

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »
Nacho.!!!!! That SUCKS.... sorry it happened buddy. I am glad you got some good waves with it... but that's a steep price for 1 day. I broke 2 longboards in one day... so I know the pain.

Gotta say... I am surprised... I have subjected mine to untold bad shorebreaks....and no issues till it hit a jetty... then minor damage.
Did you buy it locally? You might check with your dealer... may be able to get some help with the repair.

Find out how to dry it out.... It CAN be fixed... EVERYTHING can be fixed.... but your gonna need someone that knows how to do it right. A good  repair tech can make it right... a bit of added weight but should be fixable.

The good news is:
the bottom is intact...and the pad is intact, so that may have limited the amount of water that got in.
You will only lose a little deck pad from the repair, which is good.

Lets us know how it turns out

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
 "ANY" board can buckle if all the right conditions come together! Sorry for your loss but it CAN be fixed. You will have to remove the deck-pad about 6-8 inches back from the buckle. Try to do it patiently (and in one piece) so you can re-use it. I've seen guys repair breaks like this with gorilla glue on the break and some new glass/resin on the deck and rails... Good luck and paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »
Sorry to hear 'bout your ex-new board.  How did it happen?
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest