Author Topic: 9'6" vs 9'10" Fanatic Allwave  (Read 32918 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: 9'6" vs 9'10" Fanatic Allwave
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 09:26:48 AM »
So THAT is where those boards went!

Just kidding thanks for your help...Hope I can get up your way to try out those juicy waves I see in your pics

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »
JimK
I had a great time at "Club Jim".... thanks for your exceptional hospitality!
I'm coming back down and surf with you. I'm going to bring a cooler for the afternoon deck party!
Come to the Cape anytime, you have a bunch of happy Zoner customers up here ;D

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 05:34:37 AM »
OK,

I was talking last week to an international team rider for Fanatic about the Allwaves upgrades. Although he uses the stock fins alot. He found that by upgrading fins to either the Future fin Jamie Mitchell thruster setup & the Solus side fins using the stock trailer. He had claims of improved speed, grip while not inhibiting manueverability that these boards are now famous for.

So today my JM's and Solus side fins will be in. We have a small swell projected for New Jersey beaches (Southern) and shop hours starting summer schedule (opening at 11am to 6pm to accomadate more teaching time) also give "Da Boss" another hour in the surf. So I'm going to test out these fins side by side with the stock fins and...

We'll see and I'll post back ... if anyone else is experimenting post here

JimK

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 05:58:25 AM »
Jim- I haven't received my Allwave yet and am going to Baja next week. I'm getting a little worried as I haven't heard back from you. A response would be appreciated. Thanks!

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 07:04:24 AM »
Jim- I haven't received my Allwave yet and am going to Baja next week. I'm getting a little worried as I haven't heard back from you. A response would be appreciated. Thanks!
Whats the deal with fanatic no west coast usa distributor?I looked at their website and they don't even mention the u.s ?Must be a euro thing,looks like a decent board,but I guess hard to get a hold of eh!
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
cnski

Jason I'm on the case Fanatic is tracking it as we speak they will call me back TODAY!

I bet it is at the terminal but let's see

Call me when you can 484 515 5758

JimK

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »
 Jim- I got your message. Thanks so much for tracking the board down for me. I appreciate all your help.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
finally got a chance to score some waves on my 9'2 AllWave today in RI.  definitely the right board and length for me…thanks jim and rick for your advice.  got into some 2-3 rollers today at 1st beach but wind picked up quick.  tons of fun and super easy to get into the wave. the board is def light and easy to maneuver. i very stoked on my board!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
Got some killer sessions in on the 9'2 (kind small for my size) the 9'6 & 9'10 Allwaves in this last swell (big NE wind swell here in NJ

9'2 was easy getting it out (on my kness) (I'm 6'2 280# dry) Once on the wave it was like a shortboard I could get it vertical and crave/slide it back down and land most manuever. I actually kinda "duck dived it at one point going out.

9'6 Was actually SUPing for me plenty stable a bit more drive down the line

9'10 (OK I'm a big guy) but this baby hit the spot loose as the 9'6 but more drive (Particularly on the upgraded fins more on this later) I took second in an ESA Open SUP event with this board and all the guys were younger (better) than i was This board made me better. Not many boards in my career can I say that about..

Upgrading the fins...

Option 1 Future Fins Jamie Mitchell tri set
Option 2 Future Fins Solus side fins and stock trailer fins

On the 9'2 I have to admit I couldn't feel the difference

On the 9'6 WOW... The JM set gave me more drive And the Solus REALLY gripped the face of the wave.

On the 9'10 the JM's felt just a little more drive but the Solus side fins gave me more drive off the bottom and controlled snap off the top

** Not that the stock fins are no good they are better than fine and a good compromise between the JM's am\nd the Solus. It is just if you are looking to "tweak" the performance these Future fins will do it

hopeing this swell holds till at least this evening

JimK

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »
jimk, how would you compare the Fanatic 9'2"/6"/10" to the 9er or the Turtle from South County regards surfing?

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
The better comparison for surfing faster and looser (than the 9er or the Turtle) would go with the South County Black or Blue Dragons 10' or 9'6" or 8'11" less volume less tail ( less stability, but still stable/less volume but will still float 280lbs)  Any one riding the 9er would love the difference going to the 8.11 blue dragon.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
Jim, just so I'm getting this right with the Solus sides you used the bigger stock Allwave center fin, right?

The futures thruster fin set come with a slightly smaller (than the sides) center/trailer hatchet fin.Did you try the 9'6" Allwave w/the solus hatchet center fin?

Would be great to be able to coax a little more speed out of what has been so far a pretty fun board that really does help get the most out of our less-than-stellar springtime East Coast surf.

Got some killer sessions in on the 9'2 (kind small for my size) the 9'6 & 9'10 Allwaves in this last swell (big NE wind swell here in NJ

9'2 was easy getting it out (on my kness) (I'm 6'2 280# dry) Once on the wave it was like a shortboard I could get it vertical and crave/slide it back down and land most manuever. I actually kinda "duck dived it at one point going out.

9'6 Was actually SUPing for me plenty stable a bit more drive down the line

9'10 (OK I'm a big guy) but this baby hit the spot loose as the 9'6 but more drive (Particularly on the upgraded fins more on this later) I took second in an ESA Open SUP event with this board and all the guys were younger (better) than i was This board made me better. Not many boards in my career can I say that about..

Upgrading the fins...

Option 1 Future Fins Jamie Mitchell tri set
Option 2 Future Fins Solus side fins and stock trailer fins

On the 9'2 I have to admit I couldn't feel the difference

On the 9'6 WOW... The JM set gave me more drive And the Solus REALLY gripped the face of the wave.

On the 9'10 the JM's felt just a little more drive but the Solus side fins gave me more drive off the bottom and controlled snap off the top

** Not that the stock fins are no good they are better than fine and a good compromise between the JM's am\nd the Solus. It is just if you are looking to "tweak" the performance these Future fins will do it

hopeing this swell holds till at least this evening

JimK

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 06:10:03 PM »
Oops, Just noticed that the Solus thruster fin set center fin not compatible w/the us center fin box on the Allwave...

DESUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »
How well do the Allwaves glide in really small surf, especially the 9'6-9'10?  I am used to riding longer boards and prone surfing longer boards so I want to make sure if I go 9'6 that it will catch ankle-knee high waves and have enough glide for a 190lb rider.

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 06:30:36 AM »
DESUP
I am lots bigger than you....The Allwaves have pretty good glide in small waves.... not like my monster Avanti... but very decent. I have had it in some pretty small, weak waves and it was fine. Having said that... i would probably prefer a longboard SUP for those conditions.... but as a board for ALLwaves.... pretty darn good.

I'll include some shots on a small day....but fairly juicy for the size.

I weighed 240 lbs at the time of the photos.

Hope this helps....

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard