Author Topic: Zoners Reunion.  (Read 17120 times)

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Zoners Reunion.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »
Endless,

When would be a good time for weather and waves over there.  (What months are prime?)

I vote for Reunion over there.

Any others have experience with Nicaragua?

endlessfight

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
personally my fav month is November. you still get some of the big swells from the wet season but it's usually sunny and 85 degrees every day. everything is still so lush and green.
the dry season is like nov-april and the wet season is may-october. the wet season is when you get your big swells and thats usually when you get all your pros down there. this doesnt mean it rains every day. but the swell is def usually bigger then.
dry season is great but the offshores can be pretty strong mid day - usually dies down in the evening and morning sessions are always epic. you'll get a lot more tourists down there in the dry season and the waves are still good. i was there all feb this year and had many days of well overhead surf. i had about 3 hours of rain in a month, it was crazy. nica prides itself in having offshore winds like 300 days out of the year. you can thank the giant freshwater lake (lake nicaragua) for those!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:56:11 PM by endlessfight »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
How can we have a reunion if we've never met before?

Any way, I know a great surf spot in Baja that will take a big crowd. You have to camp, you'd need a rugged vehicle, and it tends to get windy, but if we go in  the fall, it could be really fun.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »
'How can we have a reunion if we've never met before?'

Tom....This thought crossed my mind as well.  In a sense this is kinda like what I imagine online dating to be like... only with guys.  That being said, it does seem like we have many like minded souls on this forum.

Nica is a place I've never been to and have heard about the offshore conditions from the Lake.  Sounds pretty good.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 02:10:04 PM »
'How can we have a reunion if we've never met before?'
How do we know we haven't met?   I've got news for people, when I introduce myself I don't usually say I'm pdxmike. 

Actually, when I have met zoners for the first time, it feels like a reunion anyway. 

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »
Maybe, instead of "reunion", it should be called a "summit" which is used over on the TGR
(Teton Gravity Research) forums ...shameless theft maybe, but it makes more sense...

Just sayin'

David
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
Or better yet isn't there a way to make it a "business related" gathering and write it off as a tax deduction.  I know there is an organization of doctors who surf, and they hold medical conferences at exotic locations i.e. Tavarua...and I am sure they write much of it off.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
I second this ^^^^^^^^^^ 8)

David S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 04:14:52 PM »
Or call it a Mission trip. Sounds better than a working vacation when people think you're trying to help others...just don't say what the mission is ;)
Where there is wind, there is a wave

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »
Preunion

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »
Hey guys, i really think i have a great venue for what we are thinking about. What we are looking for is a place where all levels of sup-ers can play nicely together, with affordable accommodations and flights , and also a family place.
i really think it s Pilon. Pilon is small fishing village in the south of Costa Rica, close to the second longest wave in the world : Pavones. Pilon consits of 3 breaks in about 800 yards area. The first break is Punta Salea : 300 yards long left. The second break is Don's , the third spot is Leftovers.
Anyone of these 3 spots are some of the best sup waves you gonna swing a paddle at, not mind bending barrels, or big hairy drops. These are evenly spaced groomed waves that came from the other side  of the Pacific into the GOLFO DULCE ( Sweet Golf...).
We 've been working hard to resolve the sup problem in Pilon and came up with boundaries that  almost everyone will be happy with. (can't satisfy everybody)

Don's and Leftovers are not surfed due to the proximity of Pilon and Pavones, world class waves.The surfers realize the sup potential of the area and have decided like others spots in the world, SUP shouldn't be at the spot ( Honolua Bay etc )but the lay of the land here and the 2 spots that are not surfed permit a place where all can get along and enjoy each other company.We all know in Costa Rica the coast line is for everybody but we also know that the surfing world beats to a different drum.
So  the first two thirds of Punta Salea are for prone surfing only.
So what that leaves us with my friends and  I am very happy to tell you about is the the last third  of Punta Salea connecting to Don's and Don's is the SUP beach.
250 yards further down is Leftovers which is  an exceptional wave for beginers , family , children to learn surfing and SUP on small long period surf.
Accomodations in the area are surrounding the spots. We 've been offered a lodge and restaurant bar with pool for our reunion as a base.
You've probably seen some of my video and pictures, here is the google pic of the SUP spots.
Let me know if it's something you would be interested in. August would be awesome . October and November are the heart of the rainy season.
Pavones Pilon area is unique but its only source of tourism  is surf tourism, which unfortunatly is non sustainable. SUP bring a new source of tourism  which would be year around . There is always something to ride, great flat water and long distance paddling, and consistency here that is hard to beat.
EndlessFight , good luck on your venture, i am gonna be looking you up. I want to get shacked. Pura Vida Shawn.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:00:19 PM by PilonSUP »

endlessfight

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 05:49:29 AM »
^ the waves you have there sound amazing! every time you have posted pictures of the surf i find myself drooling at the computer screen.
Maybe once i get my place up and running we could get some trades in; me down there, you up to nica. I've only ever went as south in CR as manuel antonio so i'd love to check out your area.
good on you guys for coming to an agreement that keeps everyone happy. the vibe in nica is still pretty good but all it will take is for a few kooks on sups to ruin the vibe and we may have to come to some agreements as well. it wont be a problem where i'm at because it's remote - but a few of the more popular breaks like puerto sandino (the best left in nicaragua) i could see it being a problem if people were out there when they shouldnt be.

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 07:35:38 AM »
endless...sounds good.The boyz & i r already planning (mind surfing) it.
Plenty of waves in the CA

Going good here,just got back from teaching at Leftovers.
A shortboarder who has never givin me the time of day in or out of the water came down to give sup a try  :o huh!I thought he was a dick,nice guy really ;D
Paddle envy alive & well.
seems sup is accepeted if in it's place  ::)
Think we need a zoner scout to come down and check this place out.
I'll cover board & 5 days B&B.    any takers?

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 07:50:49 AM »
Pilon,

I would volunteer to scout it out later this summer.  I was planning a tip to Costa Rica with Nosara in mind.  I can change that to Pilon.

Mike

SUPsurferFL

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
All this talk of being on a remote island with epic waves is making me drool. I'm headed to Rincon this Oct. for my honeymoon so i'll be able to finally find out what epic reef waves are like, as i've surfed in Florida my entire life. Since I don't make the kind of money that some of you do, i doubt i'll be able to take another trip for a little while but this "reunion" idea sure does sound like fun. I'm sure once i experience epic reef waves for the 1st time i'll be begging to get back ASAP and maybe one day I'll be able to join you all.

BTW, how the heck do all of you have so much free time and money to do all this? Seems like everybody on here are world travelers and surf all of the best spots in the world on a regular basis? I'm 31 and do ok but it just seems like i'm in the wrong place with the wrong job for this type of lifestyle....

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal