Poll

What was the 'gateway' sport that got you into SUP?

Surfing (Shortboard)
11 (12%)
Surfing (Longboard)
24 (26.1%)
Kayaking (Whitewater)
1 (1.1%)
Kayaking (Flatwater)
10 (10.9%)
Canoeing (Incl. Outrigger)
7 (7.6%)
Swimming/Triathlons
4 (4.3%)
Windsurfing/Kiteboarding
28 (30.4%)
Couch Surfing (TV/Magazine Celebrity SUP spotlight)
1 (1.1%)
SUP is my first watersport!
2 (2.2%)
Other
4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: How did you get into SUP?  (Read 15384 times)

nepaddlesurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Bic Sport Stand Up Paddleboards
How did you get into SUP?
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »
How did everyone here on the Zone first get into this great sport??
Jimmy Blakeney
BIC Sport SUP product & marketing manager
ACA SUP Instructor Trainer

supDane

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: How did you get into SUP?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
Hi.

You need an extra gateway: Windsurfing,

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
I blame Laird!  ;D

(pic of him on the cover of Men's Journal back in 2006 or so.)

My background paddling is canoeing - flat water and whitewater since I was young.
I've also had a love/hate relationship with windsurfing for 30 years.

David S.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:43:31 PM by Muskoka SUP »
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »
I agree with SupDane, windsurfing should be on the list!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
Me too. I was a windsurfer from about 1980something, tore my rotator cuffs playing Rollerblade hockey and couldn't windsurf, so I started longboarding. Walked into Mark Raaphorst's shop to get a ding repaired and saw a Ku Nalu on the wall. Bought one, got a Pohaku paddle at Tri-paddle in Maui, tortured myself until I could stand.

I guess my gateway sport is Rollerblade hockey since I otherwise would still be a windsurfer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:53:56 PM »
I had been aware of SUP for years but never tried it until last Memorial Day. My girlfiend's sister borrowed a couple of Naish boards from work and took them camping with us. I had a good time with them on the small like we camped next too. I get bored sitting in campsites and always take toys to keep myself busy. SUP is much less fuss than packing my Force 5 sailboat or quads.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
Ok, so I voted on canoeing....

But yes, windsurfing is the real turnkey for me.
Downwinding replaces all those suppressed needs...
And hey, even flat water is worthy when you're standing!

David S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »
Ha ha, Luke Foley got me into it. In fact that is me in his video (other thread) at 4:30. Something like my 10th time ever on any kind of surfboard.

I am coming from a rough water sea kayak/ surf kayak background. Got sick of all the "stuff" and gear that is involved in kayaking, love the simplicity of SUP.
Bunch of old shit

nepaddlesurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »
Windsurfing/kiteboarding added!!  :)
Jimmy Blakeney

SuppinCoffee

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »
I saw people SUPing in the Redondo Beach marina as we left for our weekly summer evening yacht races, and again when visiting Hawaii on vacation.  I just decided I wanted to try it.  My water sports transition history is roughly this:

Body surfing -> boogie boarding -> sailing -> SUP

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
I saw Matthew McConaughey, Hilary Swank and Pierce Brosnan doing standup in OK Magazine (well, not technically "doing it" as Hilary isn't into dudes... and that would be a disgusting threesome, but you know what I mean).  

It looked so cool, and Matthew he is so rad, and Hilary is so... so... so... umm... yes... aaaa... confident, and Pierce Brosnan is so Bondish, that I decided that I should probably try it too.  Guess what Matthew IS cool, Hilary is confident, Pierce is Bondish ... and SUP IS RAD!

Now I am hooked, but I saw a picture of Richard Simmons doing sit down rollerskating in a lawn chair with a Kahuna Big Stick in US Magazine, so I am probably going to have to try that...

You should make "Reviewing Celebrity Magazines and Supermarket Tabloids" one of the choices!

Get Stoked!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
Saw a guy SUS at Sunset/PCH on a small day and he looks like he having a blast while all the other surfer is having a hard time catch any wave. Then i knew i should get a sup and improve on my wave counts. I havent touch my longboard for two year.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Okay, how about "Reading Celebrity Magazines or Supermarket Tabloids in the bathtub or jacuzzi" ... that is kind of like a watersport.  If you do the bath and/or soak thing properly, that is.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

nepaddlesurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
DONE!

Okay, how about "Reading Celebrity Magazines or Supermarket Tabloids in the bathtub or jacuzzi" ... that is kind of like a watersport.  If you do the bath and/or soak thing properly, that is.
Jimmy Blakeney

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:57:32 PM »
I kind of wished I could give more than one answer.  So here’s my history.  In the mid 70’s took up surfing  as a kid (shortboard of course).  Then life happened and I took a long hiatus from surfing altogether.  In the early 90’s took windsurfing lessons and loved it but living in San Diego there just isn’t a lot of wind plus I really didn’t have the room to store windsurfing gear so I always rented.  That got old and as it was the longboarding resurgence was starting to go into full effect, so I got into that which is still my main sport.  Plus mid length hybrids and and plan on trying 70’s style retro shortboards and fish.  I’m also flying a trainer kite and hope to take kiteboarding lessons in the near future.  Just recently got into SUP and love it and it has become an obsession.  I’m still flatwater only but eventually would like to try downwinders.  As to surfing I’m still prone only.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:02:11 PM by surf4food »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal