Author Topic: Who makes the most bulletproof boards?  (Read 11494 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Who makes the most bulletproof boards?
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »
I tend to be hard on equipment, as evidenced by my recent post on my Starboard 12-6.

I'm in the market for a new board and one criteria for this one is tough construction. My 12-6 is a beautiful board but I'm going to baby it after I restore it.

So what's the general consensus? Whose boards are near bulletproof?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Who makes the most bulletproof boards?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:54:16 PM »
The SOS Big Red that I first bought has held up pretty well.

But I've found that as my paddle skills progressed I was a lot easier on my boards- the only boards I buy now are made by my local shaper - they're made like surfboards, feel like surfboards and they've been really durable- no dings in almost a year.

One advantage too, if you ding a board like mine they're much easier to repair than a sandwich type constructed board- you repair them like normal surfboards.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:28:11 AM »

So what's the general consensus? Whose boards are near bulletproof?

1) Angulo and PSH sandwich boards, both from the same factory.

2) I learned on a Surftech Laird. I sold it with zero dings.

Others I've owned dinged easier.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:38:20 AM »
Uli
Jimmy Lewis
Nui Moana
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:17:14 AM »
Naish...without a doubt IMO.. ;D

The demo and hire boards here still look like new where other brands looks very second hand.

DJ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »
LOL...you guys have been very helpful....I think... :o

I wish the board showcase was happening again now. So much has changed for me personally. I'd love to see what my impressions of different boards are now. I'm tempted to go with the 11-11 Angulo but now that my skills have jumped and the weight has come off maybe something smaller? I'm also interested in the starboard 11-2 in the tuffskin version. OOh...the indecision!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »
I remember evan mentioning how tough the angulo boards were.  I thought he had a video of the guy at tropical blends turning the board over and jumping up and down on it. 

Personally, I would not buy anything jimmy lewis.  I had a production JL surfboard style kiteboard that I had for about 6 months.  The board was awesome until it buckled after 6 months.  I didn't jump with the board or do anything radical.  I personally contacted jimmy lewis about the board and he gave me a song and dance about how the shop I bought it from gets a certain discount on boards which constitutes his warranty program.  Bottom line he wasn't going to back the product.  He didn't offer any compromise or seem to care that the board failed after such a short period under normal use. 

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
I think the Angulo, Foote, PSH, and Ordonez boards all come from the Sumitomo factory in China. Without a doubt these are the best quality board construction wise. Totally bomb proof.

I've owned the Angulo, Foote, and two PSH molded boards and you can leave them out day after day in the sun no problem. Paint chips are less frequent than any other boards I've tried (Surftechs and Boardworks). My PSH has gone over the falls in overhead hollow waves without so much as a dent or crease where I know a regular board would have snapped in half.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »
I had a C4 board fly out of my pick-up truck once. It took flight at about 20' air born, did a 360 end over end, a triple backflip before landing on it's nose. To my surprise all it got was a bunch of scratches.....
NO DINGS.........
If that's not bullet proof, then give me your board and I'll put it in the back of my truck. LOL :D

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »
Axe hit Vec up he is a Cape guy and I'd bet he 's got something for you to use.http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=87285256

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 07:24:49 PM »
I agree with Tony. Sean O put together that Sumitomo system and really nailed it. One of the main things he changed was to have a primer which is compatable with the urethane paint. There is great paint bonding on these boards. I have had bad luck with other sandwich boards, Surftech and especially JL.

champcrow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »
I have to agree with DJ the naish is hard as a rock but also light. I've dropped mine afew times and banged it hard against concrete walls when it's been windy and not a ding or dent in it.

Also some of the demo's i have seen seem to be handling all the rail knocking pretty good too.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »
SUMITOMO RULES

kurtr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »
Another vote for Angulo here.  Mine is proving to be very tough, and it's pretty light for a big 11'9" x 31" board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:35:37 PM »
Well, I had a young lady run over Diane's Naish at thousand peaks, and it definitely got dinged. Jimmy's boards get tougher all the time, the early batches were a bit wimpy, but the newer stuff is pretty tough, I think the Starboard stuff is a little fragile, especially the wood versions. The tufskin is durable but not pretty to start with.   Bottom line, these board trade weight and appearance for durability. I think the best thing to do is fix them as well as you can and pound the crap out of them. They don't last forever.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal