Author Topic: Maiden Voyage  (Read 7984 times)

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Maiden Voyage
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:55:09 AM »
Ok, Finally I get out  on my new Jimmy Lewis 11' first time ever. I never set foot on a paddleboard before but have 27 years windsurfing experience and some early years surfing experience.

I went out at low tide in Hyannisport, MA protected by a 1/4 mile jetty with basically light ripples to light chop. I weigh 230 lbs and found the board shaky as hell but didn't fall in once that day. The next day I tried wearing water shoes and fell in due to stickiness of water shoes and the non skid mat. Took the shoes off and didn't fall in again but did the shaky wakey all day.

The problem I had was cramping of my feet. I could only go out for small periods of time then my feet would cramp up. Is this normal for beginners?

I probably should have bought a bigger board at my weight, something like a 12'6" but I didn't want to get stuck needing to buy another board as I got better. Plus, I don't plan on keeping this weight I gained in the last few years.

I cut my Spanker paddle 9" above my height and for some reason it seemed short. You do measure it from the blade to the required height, right?

I've had five knee surgeries on my right knee the last being an ACL and two shoulder surgeries on both shoulders, the last being a complete tear of the right shoulder. My concern is my knee with the shakiness of the board. So I have the following questions:

1. Will the shakiness of the board go away as I get better or should I have bought a bigger board. Again, I have only been out twice.

2. Will the cramping of the feet go away with more time on the water or is it just me?

3. So far the shoulders seem OK but paddle seems shortish even though I cut it 9" above my height.

Hopefully, these are all rookie symptom's.

Shawn

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Maiden Voyage
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:46:25 AM »
Been thinking about this for some time also.
Domed deck?
What type of deck pad?

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:07:59 AM »
Shakiness will go away as you get better.  It's kind of funny that people call the board shakey when it's your body trying to over compensate.  Sounds like you have the right size board if you're not continuously falling off.  I don't think it should feel like you're standing on a boat.  But you shouldn't be falling off every 10 seconds and feeling discouraged.

Foot cramping goes away in a couple of weeks as the strength builds up.  Most peoples bodies are not used to using your toes to balance on something so unstable.

9 inches over is measured including blade.  Seems long to me but I use a 6 over.  Paddle length is personal preference and depth of board.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
I got the smooth camouflage deck pad. I was told the groove type pad would start the cramping sooner.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 10:28:56 AM »
I was planning to go 7" over head on the paddle but figured I'd go long first then cut it down if need-be. Thanks for the info on the shakiness. Before I tried it I was visualizing riding some waves but once I got out in the chop I said to myself I'll be glad just to make it back to shore in without falling in.

One other thing, I thought I pulled a muscle in my back the first time I stood up on it. I said, shit, I haven't even stood up straight yet and i'm already hurt. The kink went away once I stood straight up.

Getting the Standup Paddleboarding video helped.

PlankSpanker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 12:35:45 PM »
Congrats on getting in the water. Lot's of new things to learn and small muscles that will get worked as you build up SUP specific muscle memory.

Foot cramping is absolutely normal for a beginner and will go away eventually. You can change positions but generally it's best to get off and stretch until your arches and toes feel relaxed again. The pad doesn't have a whole lot to do with cramping although yours may be an extreme case.

Paddle height is very personal, although I doubt 9" over is too short. Just paddle for awhile until you get more data on which to base a decision.

After several times out, all these little things will be automatic (there will be much less "shakiness") and you will get to worry about a whole new set of problems like catching waves and turning around quickly. Have fun and enjoy the learning process!

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »
Congrats on the new SUP.  The JL 11 is a great board for you.  It may seem a little shaky now but it is an extremely stabel board.  Give it a couple of sessions.  As far as the feet falling sleep, I had that too in the begining and it gets easier.  Try moving your feet around on the board too helps as well.  I see guys who are just stuck in the central stance and do not move.  Practice some pivot turns to force you to move around more.  Finally good idea about cutting the paddle in smaller steps.  9" overhead seems a little long but better to cut to little than too much.  Congrats and welcome.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »

1. Will the shakiness of the board go away as I get better or should I have bought a bigger board. Again, I have only been out twice.

2. Will the cramping of the feet go away with more time on the water or is it just me?

3. So far the shoulders seem OK but paddle seems shortish even though I cut it 9" above my height.

IMO...The shakiness will get better and the feet will start to relax..they are both common with starting off.

As for your spanker feeling a little short..Do you have the older symmetrical T grip or the newer asymmetrical and more ergo T grip.

If it's the older one replacing it with the newer one will add a couple of inches I think...It's just a thought.

BTW..How tall and heavy are you..and try and stand with your feet as close together as you can and not way out on the edge of the rails..IMO a wider stance can make things more shaky.

DJ
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 02:34:11 PM by DavidJohn »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »
Glad to hear you got on the water finally Weed. Sounds like everyone covered your concerns above. The Jimmy is a great board. I tried Bill's when I 1st got out to Maui and was really shaky on it. Tried it again after two weeks of heavy paddling and was wondering what my problem was.

Let me know when you're coming down again and I'll try to hook up for a paddle. I think you'll be really pleased by the effects of paddling. I'm in the best shape I've seen in at least 20 years, dropped a bunch of weight, added a bunch of muscle. Brudda Bill's shoulders were absolute junk (multiple surgeries and all) and I know it's helped him there.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »
Funny thing Bob, after my second day paddling I'm sitting on the sundeck having a beer and a car drives by slowly with a board on the roof and then backs up looking at my board. I scream from the sundeck it's a paddle board and he pulls in and parks the car and says, so is mine. LOL... it turns out we both have have Jimmy Lewis 11' footers.

He's a regular kiteboarder who bought the board for his wife while he's out kite boarding but know he's getting into the sport. He just did a 18 mile paddle with Trip Foreman up the Charles River into the Boston night.

Interesting story, here is the link to it: http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=newsitem&id=1442

Yep, we'll have to get together for a paddle, I'm on the Cape every weekend. I can't go out for long periods though with my feet cramping up. It sounds from the answers by fellow posters that it's just getting the foot muscles use to the board shape. I'll need some more time to practice and get my feet in shape to keep up with you.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:29:53 AM »

I can't go out for long periods though with my feet cramping up. It sounds from the answers by fellow posters that it's just getting the foot muscles use to the board shape. I'll need some more time to practice and get my feet in shape to keep up with you.

If you have the JL deck pad, that is the reason your feet fall asleep. I had that problem with the Dakine and JL pads. Both too aggressive in design. OK for surfing, when the feet move a lot, but bad for any distance paddling where the feet are stationary.

The NSI and C4 pads are the right texture for all day comfort.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 03:21:22 AM »
No, I didn't get the JL pad for that reason. I got the Jimmy Lewis 11' through Wardog at Surfingsports.com out in Santa Barbara. He recommended that I get the smooth texture pad which I think is specially made for his company.

Here's a picture of one of Wardog's boards, mine is identical.

http://surfingsports.com/jimmy_lewis_10/slides/jimmy_lewis_11_gold2.html

I haven't windsurfed or been on a board for two years due to injuries. I think it may be just getting my foot muscles adapted to a dome shape board again. I wonder if there is some type of exercise gezmo out there for that reason? Then again, time on water is the best exercise.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 04:02:15 AM »
Just noticed the odd angle of the T grip on your paddle in that pic of you holding your board..What's going on there?

Sorry..Just re read your post..I see that's not you in the pic..It's still odd tho.. ;D ( http://surfingsports.com/jimmy_lewis_10/jimmy_lewis_11_sean2.jpg )

DJ

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 04:18:34 AM »
Wardog lets a lot people demo the boards before they buy. I betcha the grip doesn't have expoxy on it and the grip twisted when carrying up the board.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 05:34:13 AM »
Wardog's pad looks like it might be made by NSI. They don't come any more comfortable than that.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard