Author Topic: June 14, 2008 The Day Video Died  (Read 3261 times)

Byronmaui

June 14, 2008 The Day Video Died
« on: June 14, 2008, 05:44:51 PM »
Aloha

Sad condolences go out to my Sanyo Xacti which performed well but today it died 30 minutes into the session. Sanyo thank you for all the memories and you will never be forgotten. Here is the last video and the last sequence show its last breath. It took a set wave on the head and never regained consciousness.  :(

Aloha

Byron

P.S. Noworries it was fun hanging in the water and hope to see ya on your new board.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: June 14, 2008 The Day Video Died
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
R.I.P.

Time for a new cam Byron...we'll miss your vids... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Russell

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:19:34 AM »
R.I.P.

I to hope you get a new camera soon to get more great videos up.

2 days ago my Oregon died as well. The seal must have broken when I screwed the back on.

One of my local shops says he will have the sanyo in next week and I was going to buy it.

How long did you have your one and any advice on what to do to make it last.

Russell

Byronmaui

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »
Russel - I had the camera since February and just in the last 2 weeks started using it on the board mounted. I think the compression of the lip just wasted the camera because I have had the camera in the whitewash before and no problems. In hidsight I should have flipped the board over when the wave came but I learned. Other than this incident today I have had no problems. The flip screen in the water presents an issue for me as far as strength but oh well.
I just went on Amazon and they are about $380 so I am going to purchase 2 more of them because I have tons of batteries that I just bought and I would hate for them to go to waste.

Aloha

Byron

Russell

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:59:23 AM »
Thanks Byron.

I thought it might have been the screen but this does not worry me so much as I do not plan to mount the camera on the board. I will probably get another oregon as I was really happy with it for fixing it on things.

Glad to hear you are getting another one.

Russell.

Byronmaui

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 01:16:17 AM »
Russell the new pentax coming out after summer looks hot. As of 2 minutes ago 2 new xactis ordered and hopefully they will last till after summer.

Aloha

Byron

P.s. My wife forced me to place the order...lol

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 03:26:13 AM »
I just shot my first videos using the Canon still camera SD770 IS in a water proof housing. I was shocked at the high quality. Nothing like previous still cameras I've owned. The video is shot in avi format. On my computer the original quality is similar to my big Sony digital DVD Handycam.

This is what the video looks like after compression and editing using Windows Movie Maker default settings and uploading to Vimeo using none of things they recommend for best quality.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:26:52 AM »
Thanks Byron..It's still a good one for the last.. ;D

I hope you get a good deal on the next camera and get back out there soon...We're gunna miss your regular vids.

DJ

Russell

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »
Hi Byron.

Yes the pentax does look good but a no go for me as it is not compatible with a mac. But maybe they will do something in the future for a mac.

So it has to be the sanyo.

Its been really good for windsurfing lately but it's looking like S.U.P. again later in the week so hopefully I can get some video footage up.

Russell

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 10:05:14 AM »
I've had two X-actis both of them died after about four months of use- every other person I know who's had one has had it die too.

The upside is if you send it in they usually just replace it with a new one- I'm waiting on my third Xacti.

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »
DW--Wow, I'm really impressed with the quality as well. I would never have thought it would be so clear. I going to try the waterproof housing as well to see if I can get similar results.

Byronmaui--nice shorts!

Byronmaui

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 05:43:43 PM »
I've had two X-actis both of them died after about four months of use- every other person I know who's had one has had it die too.

The upside is if you send it in they usually just replace it with a new one- I'm waiting on my third Xacti.

Where did you send it to and how as the process? Thanks for any info.

Byron

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
It's pretty straightforward- you go to the Sanyo website and they have a number posted for customer service - just call the number and tell them your camera died - they'll tell you the address of the service center you should mail it to- they'll want to know when you bought it etc. - they don't really care what happened to the camera... I think it's because they've had a bunch of problems with these.

I sent mine in and they just sent me a letter saying that it was not fixable and so I'm getting a new one- my feeling is that this model is pretty sealed  up and it can't really be repaired- just replaced- so give it a shot and see if they send you a new one. My second one died for no reason - just a puff of electric smoke and it was dead!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal