Author Topic: Cape Cod downwinders...who's in?  (Read 6665 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Cape Cod downwinders...who's in?
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
I'm looking to get a crew together for some regular downwinders on the Cape ( I know you're in Matt.. ;D). The run we did last week was fun and made me think again that we are missing the boat out here. Our winds are out of the SW or west 35% of the year and when it's good for downwind runs it usually means crappy surf conditions. Actually, given the shape of the Cape any wind direction will allow for a run (I still dream of Ptown to Plymouth in a nor'easter). It's time to start getting out there. Only thing holding back is getting at least a few folks together for vehicle shuttle.

The south shore and Cape are near perfect for it, easy access to beaches all along Rtes 3A and 6A with plenty of put in and take out spots we could have runs from 4 to 30 or 40 miles.

You don't need a purpose built downwind board (though it helps) and I have two boards that work well for anyone that needs a longer board for a run.

Who's in?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cape Cod downwinders...who's in?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »
Can you post your proposed route map?  Inside the bay or along the ocean?  It does look like there are many options for different wind directions.  It'll be pretty cool to follow what you guys do.

ROBB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
Hey...I am down in Ct but come to the cape often (family)...where will u guys leave from and how far....keep me posted....Thanks Rob

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »
Hey Bob,
I'd be totally into doing that. I am coming from a sea kayaking background and am just getting into SUP. I am totally hooked, like crack. I have been surfing all winter but want to start doing some flat-ish water (you know what I mean) paddling. I am in Westport, not too far away. Keep me posted. Thanks
Bunch of old shit

Bklyn2Oahu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
Hello,

I'm seriously interested in joining your group for downwinders.  I'm new to SUP'ing but have prone paddled a 14' board for 5 yrs and have done plenty of downwind runs.  I just need to dial in my SUP gear over the next few weeks and should be good to go by mid April.

I will check back to see if your group is getting together and try to make it.  (I live in Bourne and usually paddle my prone board in the Woods Hole/Nobska area).

Ronny
14' Naish Glide

Ke Nalu Maliko

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
yep, i'm down ;)
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
Rhode Islander here but spend a lot of time on the Cape... in for sure. 

Hey Matt - lovin that PSH I picked up from you a few weeks back...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
Sweet...I know some of the CCBC crew will join in too. I'm going to start paying some attention to the longer range forecasts and see if we can find a good weekend that is supposed to have a lot of wind. I'll post here as it develops. I think if we get one in and folks see what its like we could start something that continues.

There are too many possible runs to list. So many spots to get in and take out and inside the bay it really doesn't matter which way its blowing. Most conveneint for road access would be inside the bay too. Outer Cape ...Chatham to Truro could be the biggest rush. That could be an epic downwinder in a good SE swell and wind. Maybe rival Moliko but without the scary reefs... ;D . I can just imagine following the coast in close...some fun rides along the bars.

Bill...here's the downwind map I started. Most of these I haven't done yet. I've done a few different routes inside the bay mostly because I've been alone or checking it out the 1st time...safer inside in case the wind shifts. The truth is though that the possible combinations are almost endless.

http://g.co/maps/t9kkf

I've wanted to to a two day run from nantucket to Truro but all the big fishoes made me rethink that. An unlikely issue but I think the hairs on the back of my neck would be sticking up the whole time... ;) ::)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:37:02 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
Axeman... count me in ;D
I have a Van for shuttle service.

Today would have been a test... with sustained winds of 30mph with gusts in the 40's

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
As I was leaving work today all I could think was "Good day for a downwinder".. :)
Bob

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 12:18:38 AM »
Damn that's a cool map.  Are all those runs inside over fairly shallow water?  There's got to be a depth chart for that area like LPB found for here. 

Yeah the Nantucket sounds pretty ambitious and uh, yeah, hairs on the back of the neck.  We'll we'll want full report.  Water temp, wind speed, the works.  It's a very unique spot on the east coast.  Actually unique compared to anywhere in the US.  Pudget Sound maybe but it has radical currents.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 04:28:44 AM »
Interactive Chart of Cape Cod Bay... zoomable
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13246.shtml

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:42:42 AM »
Interactive Chart of Cape Cod Bay... zoomable
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13246.shtml

wow…sweet info…thanks Creek!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

BobT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
Last summer I had planned a run from Wellfleet back to Brewster where I was staying. Run got cancelled due to the Rt6 parking lot going up to Wellfleet. Anyway, I'd love to give it a go sometime.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:44:55 AM »
Man that's deep which usually means faster moving swells, which means you gotta be a wizard  to catch them. But... higher potential speed if you can.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal