Author Topic: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!  (Read 1181021 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
« Reply #1620 on: June 18, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »
...lifejacket tied to the nose and no leash.
This is something the "authorities" can't even seem to figure out.

Last year while on an easy nonchalant paddle in the harbor with friends (one a newer SUPer who was wearing my belt PFD), I got stopped by the Sheriff's Harbor Patrol who inquired about "where's your PFD?" seeing the others were wearing one. When I told him I was standing on it he went cross-eyed, and couldn't figure out that I was talking about the 110 liter foam "PFD" board I was standing on, and had attached to me with a leash.

After explaining that to him, he wasn't too impress nor pleased...and even less pleased when I pointed out all of the rental SUPers w/o a leash, and life vests strapped to the front of their boards. As I explained the fact that as soon as they fell off, and the board would naturally be pushed away from them, and the uselessness of the life vest floating away from them on the board...he resorted to the old, "Hey, I don't make the rules I just enforce them" cop out line.

So having this much fun with an attentive audience, I agreed to go get one, but then asked him about proper donning instructions once I have my PFD strapped to my board sans the leash...."So when I fall off my board w/o a leash, do I swim back to it, get back on it, and then put my PFD on...or do I swim back to it, take it off my board while treading water, put it on, and then climb back onto my board?".

He just scowled, shook his head, got back behind the controls, and drove off w/o answering. I think he got the message...whether it helps or not is another story.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 18, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
...lifejacket tied to the nose and no leash.
This is something the "authorities" can't even seem to figure out.

Last year while on an easy nonchalant paddle in the harbor with friends (one a newer SUPer who was wearing my belt PFD), I got stopped by the Sheriff's Harbor Patrol who inquired about "where's your PFD?" seeing the others were wearing one. When I told him I was standing on it he went cross-eyed, and couldn't figure out that I was talking about the 110 liter foam "PFD" board I was standing on, and had attached to me with a leash.

After explaining that to him, he wasn't too impress nor pleased...and even less pleased when I pointed out all of the rental SUPers w/o a leash, and life vests strapped to the front of their boards. As I explained the fact that as soon as they fell off, and the board would naturally be pushed away from them, and the uselessness of the life vest floating away from them on the board...he resorted to the old, "Hey, I don't make the rules I just enforce them" cop out line.

So having this much fun with an attentive audience, I agreed to go get one, but then asked him about proper donning instructions once I have my PFD strapped to my board sans the leash...."So when I fall off my board w/o a leash, do I swim back to it, get back on it, and then put my PFD on...or do I swim back to it, take it off my board while treading water, put it on, and then climb back onto my board?".

He just scowled, shook his head, got back behind the controls, and drove off w/o answering. I think he got the message...whether it helps or not is another story.  :)

I took a couple huge barge like sups up to my sons in San Clemente yesterday to paddle around Dana Harbor and Doheny. Before going up there I called the Coast Guard or Harbor Patrol (don't remember which one now) to see if we needed PFD's. Anywhoo, the conversation I had with the guy was almost EXACTLY the same as yours! I even asked the one about falling off with no leash and having to swim to my board to get the PFD. He was a nice guy but came up with the "I don't make the rules" thing but also agreed that it made zero sense. Just imagine the thousands and thousands of Order Takers all across the US doing what they are told even though it's ridiculous.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 18, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »
This was a hot topic years ago on the zone, with people weighing in on both sides. There were and probably still are some zoners who are first responders that pull bodies out of the water with no PFD who maintained that the Coast Guard ruling made sense and was important. I said it was stupid and dangerous--I still think so. I wrote some letters, met with the guy who headed up the Coasties in Portland (yup, we have a coast guard base--70 miles inland) and got nowhere. They all agreed that it didn't make sense, but the Coast Guard has no experience with leashes and they are not certified as lifesaving devices. The rules for SUP are derived from the rules of boating since there is no way for the Coast Guard to set independent standards for SUPs as a different vessel--we don't have a SUP Safety Council researching safety. Their rules are specific and are bureaucratically administered. They have little to do with safety and everything to do with rules. Which makes sense--but sucks. If a boat sinks the lifejackets pop to the surface--maybe. But SUPs don't sink--they get away.

None of this has much to do with scantily or unclad chicks on standup boards but I don't have the energy or interest to start another thread on how silly the safety rules are. But since the topic of having encouraging words for people who are "trying" to SUP, I say bullshit. If you want to encourage them, encourage them to take a lesson, learn how to paddle and stand on the board, and learn to wear the safety gear. Otherwise I'd just as soon they drown paddling a kayak.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:09:27 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: June 18, 2018, 06:14:03 PM »
I looked up the safety before I stepped on a SUP and always WORE a PFD and used a leash.  The PFD was a pretty clunky one at first but it worked. I changed it out for impact vest when it floated up and allowed my rib fracture.  Impact vests are plenty floaty enough.

It's only recently that I felt confident enough in my water reflexes and surfology to go without an impact vest more often than not.

Helmet and impact vest go back on pending conditions.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 18, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »
Now, back to the topic at hand.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:41:48 PM by southwesterly »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:32 PM »
Now, back to the topic at hand.

Good for her!  👍👍

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: June 18, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »
Just to be clear, I was in no way making fun of the woman in the picture I posted.

I’ve found this thread tiresome as a mostly senior aged audience is ogling over girls that are young enough be their granddaughters.

For that, I say, You Go Girl!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:51:22 PM by southwesterly »

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: June 18, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
I am still thinking about the river girl with the yellow board.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: June 18, 2018, 08:12:14 PM »
Just to be clear, I was in no way making fun of the woman in the picture I posted.

I’ve found this thread tiresome as a mostly senior aged audience is ogling over girls that are young enough be their granddaughters.

👍👍👍

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1629 on: June 19, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »
Tried to post a real HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards! but it didn't work..  :-\
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:37:59 AM by DavidJohn »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: June 19, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »

No one is being hurt here so with all DUE RESPECT I say F*CK your anti-free speech social justice warrior fun-killing PC cultural marxism BS that destroys everything. You people tried to destroy this thread last year, so if this is "tiresome" or offensive to your snowflake sensibilities then please don't come here. Freedom of choice really is that simple. This thread is for HOT CHICKS so to counter your gruesome image...

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:26 AM »
It's gonna take more than one so here's another gem...

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: June 19, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
Really "rubbing it in" aren't I? ;)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: June 19, 2018, 01:16:32 PM »

No one is being hurt here so with all DUE RESPECT I say F*CK your anti-free speech social justice warrior fun-killing PC cultural marxism BS that destroys everything. You people tried to destroy this thread last year, so if this is "tiresome" or offensive to your snowflake sensibilities then please don't come here. Freedom of choice really is that simple. This thread is for HOT CHICKS so to counter your gruesome image...

No need to get so hostile.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #1634 on: June 19, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised at the direction this thread took after my Worst Sup Fails video post. It's taught me alot.

1- Be more respectful of people trying to learn to sup.
2- Try and help those newbs out...I usually do anyways but always felt kinda funny offering advice that wasn't asked for...Not so much
    anymore.
3- Wear my leash always.
4- It's ok to admire girls young enough to be my granddaughter. I'm a normal male w/a normal sex drive so it's natures way. The male sex
     drive is a very strong force of nature.
5- Always leave the SOLOSHOT on REC in the summer.

Looks like college is out so is it ok to post beautiful girls on the beach while I sup ok here!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:58:33 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal