Author Topic: Broke the Leverlock paddle's handle. Retire or replace part?  (Read 4550 times)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Broke the Leverlock paddle's handle. Retire or replace part?
« on: February 25, 2024, 09:05:48 PM »
During last session I heard some creaking noise coming from the paddle's handle and thought I better check what's going on after. It broke in my hand soon later. It was my first paddle and served me for 7+ years of infrequent use, I already replaced the cable once because it rusted out. Now I'm pretty much figure out what length I use when surf and don't necessary need an adjustable paddle. The replacement handle is $75 and while I like the weight, flex and blade's shape of this paddle I'm not sure if I want to repair it. I just afraid that shaft and/or blade could go one day too. So should I retire it or perhaps repurpose it somehow? Any suggestions? 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 09:26:32 PM by oceanAddict »
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Broke the Leverlock paddle's handle. Retire or replace part?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 03:00:03 AM »
I would just remove the excess parts and add a fixed handle ($20-$30 on Amazon). It will be lighter and stronger. If you think the blade/shaft might eventually break as well, buy a new paddle. Keep the old one around as a backup.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 07:36:39 AM »
Thank you Badger, this is good starting point.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 09:19:03 AM »
I don't know what the diameter of the leverlock shaft is, but it looks thick--you might be able to epoxy a replacement handle in place--the ones on Amazon look OK. You'd need to take the adjustment stuff out of the remainder of the extension shaft. If you want to retain the adjustability you could hot glue it in place and adjust with a heat gun. There's a lot of crappy-looking paddles for sale on Amazon. I'm glad to be out of that business. The market for premium paddles has to be grim now.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 10:07:42 AM »
Yeah some handles on Amazon looks OK and some looks like blown molded plastic.  Leverlock diameter 25 mm accordingly to their site. I hope I can find decent handle and make it work. One thing I def didn't like about adjustable paddle that over time water was getting inside the shaft and slushed up/down until I would take a handle out to drain it :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 01:21:01 PM »
Any hollow shaft, including a glued one, can take on water. The paddle heats up in the sun, increasing pressure inside so the air escapes from even a pinhole, and then you stick it in water which cools the gas inside and creates a low pressure that sucks water in. You have to periodically empty it unless it's been perfectly glued. One of the many reasons we used hot glue to assemble Ke Nalu paddles. Unfortunately, the parts need to be designed for hot gluing for it to work optimally, but even if it's not perfect, it's better than epoxy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 02:30:21 PM »
Werner Paddles is also conducting Kialoa's business these days, and I've bought nice handles from them. (I like Kialoa's Tahition style.) But Werner's are normal hybrid palm style. Anyway, a potential resource for you.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 08:57:58 PM »
Werner Paddles is also conducting Kialoa's business these days, and I've bought nice handles from them. (I like Kialoa's Tahition style.) But Werner's are normal hybrid palm style. Anyway, a potential resource for you.   
Thank you DP! Yeah I'm familiar with Werners as I have two 3-piece Nitros made by them. One was tad too short so I got a bigger one and I don't like it, - too heavy, the shaft is too thick and stiff. Was thinking to sell it as I still take a smaller one when travel. 

Any hollow shaft, including a glued one, can take on water. The paddle heats up in the sun, increasing pressure inside so the air escapes from even a pinhole, and then you stick it in water which cools the gas inside and creates a low pressure that sucks water in. You have to periodically empty it unless it's been perfectly glued. One of the many reasons we used hot glue to assemble Ke Nalu paddles. Unfortunately, the parts need to be designed for hot gluing for it to work optimally, but even if it's not perfect, it's better than epoxy.
And levellock literally has an opening in the handle where water freely travels inside as soon as the handle/paddle goes in the water (aka me falling off lol).

Full disclosure: I have a Kialoa (Axel I think? ) with tapered shaft that i never got around to cut down. Bought it locally some time ago barely used, so I think it's time came lol. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal