Author Topic: Casualties of SUP  (Read 4511 times)

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Casualties of SUP
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:27:59 AM »
Do any of you guys have "relics" of your past life...BEFORE SUP??  Here is a pic of a few of mine....Anyone in the market for a waveski????  Seriously..(ha)....My wife would be really happy...she just wants them to GO...tde

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Casualties of SUP
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:41:44 AM »
good luck tde!
i just barely sold an Macski Animal-i turned it into the Infninity shop for consignment-Whew!
Man you have a serious haul of buttboards there! :o
You can try Craigslist-just list them in the Prostitutes section and you should get lots of hits! ;)
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

tde

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »
Yeah...not much a market for used waveskis :-[....may have more value as "room decor" hanging on cables in our garage apartment ;D.....tde

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
Wow, that looks great. I'd do that at Ponohouse but Diane would FREAK.

There are a lot of SUP casualties in my garage. Hobie Adventure Island sailing Trimarans (2) untouched for two years. Two motorcycles--started them up this winter but that's it. Bicycles, windsurfers, kiteboards, longboards.

And the garage desperately needs a good cleanup and reorg. Not happening. The wind looks just right for a downwinder. ciao.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
tde--I think it looks great too.  Sort of a Florida version of the obsolete showshoes hung up over the mountain cabin's fireplace.  It made me think--you could take an old board, mount lights on top of it for indirect lighting, and maybe through it (or use a couple suction cup kayak lights) for downlighting, and have a great light fixture to hang over a dining room table. 

Although anyone who actually did that could then probably post a photo of their newly-ex-wife (the one who said the SUP light fixture over the dining room table was the last straw) as their SUP casualty. 

paddlesurfpastor

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
I've sold 2 bikes, and 2 firearms. This is all that's left besides the SUP and my shortboard.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »
This brings new meaning to "wave skiing" via Chuck Patterson.

Salomon Freeski TV S4 E16 Wave Skiing 2.0: JAWS

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
Ironically, for those who have skiied, the wave in Chuck's videos looks less intimidating from a skiiers vantage point.  No lefts or rights to worry about.  And the wave is rarely a Black Diamond, rather just a fast Blue.  Granted it is moving and packs 1,000 tons of freight ready to roll over you if you catch an edge :)

tde

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »
tde--I think it looks great too.  Sort of a Florida version of the obsolete showshoes hung up over the mountain cabin's fireplace.  It made me think--you could take an old board, mount lights on top of it for indirect lighting, and maybe through it (or use a couple suction cup kayak lights) for downlighting, and have a great light fixture to hang over a dining room table. 

Pdxmike...I've got a great waveski at a good price for you if you want to try it!!! ;D

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
Yeah...not much a market for used waveskis :-[....may have more value as "room decor" hanging on cables in our garage apartment ;D.....tde
Very cool decor. I don't know market value of that stuff but I would just leave it be.

Ironically, for those who have skiied, the wave in Chuck's videos looks less intimidating from a skiiers vantage point.  No lefts or rights to worry about.  And the wave is rarely a Black Diamond, rather just a fast Blue.  Granted it is moving and packs 1,000 tons of freight ready to roll over you if you catch an edge :)
Yep, I totally get what you are saying having watched that. Just a fast blue is a good analogy but all the other things make it the double black, unmarked, exclamation point run.  Made me think (for a second) I could go and do that. I think I would rather catch an edge out there than with rocks and trees around. You don't have to worry about popping out of your bindings when things ramp up I would think. That is a massive amount of force tho.
Momementum hurling you into rocks or trees like a rag doll or tossed around in a washing machine like a rag doll? Both are out of control and at mercy of.....physics.?.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:15:27 AM »
My hobbies weren't water related immediately pre-SUP. In fact I hadn't done much of anything physical for 3 or 4 years...couldn't trust my balance. I used to enjoy landscaping and actually owned a small tree farm. Lots of flower gardens, stone walls, and a large Asian styled garden I built with my youngest daughter. I also used to be a woodworker....now i have a bunch of tools collecting rust and dust and a yard that looks neglected because it is. The Asian garden...pre-neglect.

The last few things I made.

Pono house gates.

A big guy chair (that won't break) for me. All pegged mortise and tenon, not a screw or nail anywhere.

Then I made these and everything else took a back seat. One for Bill and whichever he took I'd keep the other. At the time I was thinking about looking for an old windsurfer to turn into a SUP. Then Bill surprised me with the 12-6 as a gift.

Five years later I don't remember the last time I cut a piece of wood, and the thought of doing yardwork on the weekend is laughable...now looking for a house nearer the water with no yard to care for... ;D Anybody want to buy a lightly used bandsaw?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:21:59 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
 :o...remaining relics-to-be of my pre-sup life... :-\

A very nice pair of Roces 4 x 100 mm inline skates, which now don't see much use...these used to be excellent cross training tools. Sadly, now, they sit forgotten and i should post them for sale before the bearings seize...

Gladly, i tend to keep my 'quiver' as small as possible and hate to accumulate stuff. Lots of windsurfing gear was sold for my entrance into seated paddling (kayak-surfski-oc). Then i discovered sup (very glad i did) and those went too.

Even my mountain bike has suffered downsizing: from a full suspension, geared beast to a single speed, rigid workout/touring ride.

Found a Windsurfing Hawaii universal....out the door too !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal