Author Topic: Anybody using different gear for training than for racing?  (Read 2981 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Anybody using different gear for training than for racing?
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
Thought of this question from comments in some other training threads.  balance_fit mentioned using a heavier, slower board to train on.  Greatdane once mentioned he trains on a 12-6 Bark and usually races on a 14'.  I jump-started my balance when I got my 14' Glide, which at the time was tippy for me.  If I get another board, I'm thinking it might be something like an old Javelin that challenges my balance--one that I wouldn't even want to race on at first because I'd be faster on a more stable board--to challenge my balance and legs.

So, is anyone training by using different gear than what they race with---a slower board, tippier board, heavier paddle, smaller or larger blade, etc.?
Or do people find that they prefer training with and getting used to the same paddles and boards that they race on?

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody using different gear for training than for racing?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
I second the idea that wind and water has been my personal strength agent.  It really is incredible. Off water pull ups, push ups, pilates, cardiovascular.
I am in the process of buying a better board and paddle then use my heavier board and heavier paddle for training.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
PDX, for the most part I've always been a fan of keeping training equipment and my race gear separate. I predominately use the same paddles,but different boards. I paddle a 14' DP that's just about 25" wide as my training board,and usually race my glass Ohana 14. Also sometimes I do sprints and distance runs with one of my short (8'6) boards. I'm also a firm believer in paddling in the most difficult ,turbulent and nastiest conditions. The more side chop,windy snot the better. Same with my mtn bike and dirtbike races. I train on a heavy hard tail ,steel frame and race on a carbon. My Hare scramble t bike is a heavy XR600r and I race on a RMX 250. Later,FMS

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
Hi PDX

I'm training on the board I race because it's the tippiest thing I've got 14" x25"(or 24" if people are measuring right). I've thought about using my 12'6" x 27" for resistance but balance is more important right now

I am switching between a 110 quick blade for training and sprint races and a 100 for longer distances. I'm noticing that my cadence and power on the 100 is a lot better since training with the 110

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
Thought of this question from comments in some other training threads.  balance_fit mentioned using a heavier, slower board to train on.  Greatdane once mentioned he trains on a 12-6 Bark and usually races on a 14'. 
So, is anyone training by using different gear than what they race with---a slower board, tippier board, heavier paddle, smaller or larger blade, etc.?
Or do people find that they prefer training with and getting used to the same paddles and boards that they race on?
Sometimes i take out my wife's board, which is an olde Bic Jungle, windsurf/sup hybrid, heavy, slow and tippy.
I plan on getting a slightly smaller bladed paddle soon for events with severe upwind legs, while using the bigger one i have to train.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:19:22 AM »
My friend Jeff uses a bigger blade to train with, then switches to a smaller blade when racing.  My philosophy is to train with the same gear I race with to become very comfortable with it.  I  try not to use unproven gear in a race, and stick with gear I have tested in training at least once. 
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »
If my wife wants to paddle with me and I still want to get some training value from it I'll put her on my 14 and I'll try and keep up with her on my 9...I have to paddle like crazy to make it happen. I think i may switch to my 9-8 element for it this year. Less stable, less volume, and mostly underwater so slower too.
I wouldn't do it right before a race though.

None of it really matters for me though. Unless I'm racing against someone my size with balance problems I'm unlikely to be very competitive.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »
 I train with a paddle that has the same blade size but with less stiffness  than what  I use in a race.  I train on the same board, a 12'6".  I want to be super comfortable in all conditions with a board that I will be racing.  If I need more resistance for my stroke I  just apply more pressure more often to the paddle blade. 
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal