Author Topic: Coreban Dart vs. Naish Glide 14 (2012)  (Read 14883 times)

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Coreban Dart vs. Naish Glide 14 (2012)
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:02:35 PM »
Hello zoners,

A question for those who have experience with either/both of these boards.

I'm looking for a 14' downwind/ flat water board, and have narrowed it down to these 2 options. Can anybody comment on the pros/cons of either/both for downwind runs, flat water paddling, and light touring? I've heard a lot about the Glide but not as much about the dart.

I'm 5'10", approximately 200 lbs, and would consider myself beginner/intermediate. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

melonhead

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Coreban Dart vs. Naish Glide 14 (2012)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »
I would be interested in this too.  By the way, how did you get it to these two? (over say the M14, Shaka ...)

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
By the way, how did you get it to these two? (over say the M14, Shaka ...)

Mostly due to availability - there aren't a lot of SUP dealers in my area, and very few of them carry any 14' boards.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »
I don't think you will get an answer to that question for a while yet because the Dart is not yet available.. We are still a few weeks of receiving our first one.. The first any of us have seen or heard of the Dart is a short vid that was posted from Coreban a couple of weeks ago and that vid didn't show muh except how good Ivan is..  ;D

DJ

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »
DJ - I suspected as much. I noticed that Coreban had the Dart on the website so I was hoping someone could give me some feedback on it. Guess I have to play the waiting game.

That video of Ivan is unbelievable - gives me something to shoot for!

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
Any idea what their weights are? Will the Dart be somewhat less heavy (than the Glide)?

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 06:48:38 PM »
I've never even seen a Coreban racing board in person.  I e-mailed the Hawaii distributor(?) listed on the Coreban site to ask about whether there would be any boards available in Hawaii about a week ago and have heard nothing.

Coops

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »
I've listed some information on the Darts and Glides from the manufacturers.  The biggest differences I see are (1) the Dart (particularly the carbon version) is much lighter, (2) the Dart has more volume, and (3) the Dart is 2.625" wider.  I plan to get the Dart. 

I am new to downwinding but have been surfing for 30 years and SUPing for 4 years.  I would like to get people's opinions on which Dart to get.  There is a 10 lbs difference between the Pure and the Carbon.  If we were talking about surfing SUPs, I would take one that is 30% lighter (even if it is 30% more expensive) 100% of the time.  I don't know if board weight is as critical for downwind boards and would love to hear your thoughts.

Dart
301 liters
29 7/8" width
5 1/2" thick
24.2 lbs (Carbon)
34.1 lbs (Pure)

Glide
270 liters
27 1/4" width
5 3/4" thick
29.5 lbs (Carbon)
32.6 lbs (AST)

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »
We've been racing the Darts and new Glide here in SA for a good couple of months- and before I make my comments please take them with the pinch of salt that comes from me being a Naish importer and hence as neutral as Sweden in WWII.....but I also sell Coreban and always try and sell my customers the board best suited to their needs.

The Glide is faster in flatwater, The Glide is generally faster in in downwind up to 30-35knots thereafter the Dart can compete with Ivan on top at least. Dart is more stable and safer bet for the guy seeking comfort over outright speed.

Gilde carbon is durable - we've had very few ding up - make them any lighter without going more exotic and you will have a very fragile board. Dart in Pure is very durable, the carbon must be treated with care.

Both are great boards.

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:15 PM »
Hi Peterp - do you see much difference between the Glide Carbon and the AST model.  There is a 3 lb difference but was wondering if you notice a difference in downwinding with the lighter stiffer board.  I have an 2012 Glide AST and love it for downwinding.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »
The main advantage of the Carbon is that it feels stiffer, but in terms of outright performance there isn't much in it - at the price the AST is the winner.

Rdubach

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
The Darts in Pure will be hitting the mainland in the US around June 10th. I believe even later for Hawaii.

A few things to keep in mind from the Coreban side. I talked with the production manager from Coreban and he said that all of the SA boards are customs right now. That the actual production boards have some slight changes.

2mm Carbon Fiber vs. 1.5mm. Someone previously mentioned that you have to take care of the Carbon. The CF was upgraded to 2mm which adds about 1/2 pound in weight but increases strength and durability nearly 4x. A very good compromise in my opinion.

Core Grip Handle: This in an of itself is any reason to go with a Coreban as in any downwinder you need to be able to hold on to your board. Core Grip is sheer genius and for downwinders it's a must have feature.

As far as the speed goes. The Alpha 14 is still the speed downwind board but as expected the speed is compromised by instability at only 28".  The Dart was designed to give you a blend of stability and speed. From what I can tell they managed to do so very well.

I am very excited to get my Dart in Red Carbon.

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
Describe the Core Grip Handle ?  Is it much different than the handle/grip that the new Glide has ? 

Keep us posted on your new board. 

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
Handle is in principle the same as the Ledge Handle on the Naish's.

panamacitybeachsurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 05:06:55 AM »
Hey Guys,
Just caught this thread online and wanted to share I will be getting Corebans in soon!  Picking up the Turbo today and hope to race it soon.  Also want to pick up a Dart as well.

I was reading about the handles and I am not sure everyone has a clear picture of what the new Coreban handles are like, so here is my experience-

A regular handle on most sups allows you to get half to all of your fingers in to carry the full weight of the board. This is fine in most cases, but paddle for several miles, add some wind, and suddenly you feel like you need the grip strength of the ninja warrior on the salmon ladder or the wall.

The new Coreban grip allows you to get your fingers and part of your hand in there, so you can wrap your hand in the handle in a very comfortable and strong way.  The rapid wind gusts and long walks to the beach are no longer such a fearful experience as you have a confident grip on your investment.

I have dropped several boards and caused damage to them, so this is a big deal to me, as I paddle almost every day in some challenging conditions at times.  It is great to be able to "palm" the board much like some can palm a basketball, and literally lift it up and down by your side from vertical to horizontal- especially the lighter boards like the carbon Dart.

People come up and are amazed by the handle so I would say it is a huge factor when considering a purchase...

There are many great down wind boards out there too, so be sure to try as many as you can before buying, as it is a significant investment.

Enjoy the ride!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal