Author Topic: SIC Boards for DW in Pacific Northwest  (Read 1860 times)

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SIC Boards for DW in Pacific Northwest
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:02:39 AM »
I would like to get some input on SIC boards and on how they perform in the Pacific Northwest for downwinding.  The Columbia River and Puget Sound typically have shorter period waves which is much different than an open ocean condition which it appears the SIC boards are designed for. I am currently using a Glide 14.  The SIC boards of interest are:

SIC F-16V2
SIC Bullet
SIC ???

Ponobill - maybe you have some comments.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: SIC Boards for DW in Pacific Northwest
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
Besides Pono, I've only seen two other SIC's in the PNW.  One guy has a 18'6" in Vancouver B.C. and then a guy named Russell has a custom 12'6" SIC in Gig Harbor.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Boards for DW in Pacific Northwest
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »
I've got an F18 in Hood River and had my Bullet there last year. They are not ideal, the swell is pretty short period. On the really honking days the Bullet was so fast it was almost uncontrollable. Hang on and pray. I DO think the F16 V2 would work pretty well, but I haven't tried them there.

Best thing we've found so far is the old Naish Glide 14 and on the really big days a regular SUP surfboard is the ticket. The Starboard race boards work well too.

I think someone is going to wind up making a gorge-specific downwind board, the swells are REALLY different. When they do I'll be first in line.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal