Author Topic: Historic Dana Point Movies From the 1930's  (Read 3233 times)

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Historic Dana Point Movies From the 1930's
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »
Didn't know where to put this, but thought it was an interesting look at DP from some many years ago......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVZrLbPe4n8&feature=share
I also thought the voice and style of the narration sounded quite familiar......"headmount", any distant relationship??

soulpaddler

Re: Historic Dana Point Movies From the 1930's
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
Love the skimboarding on there.  Cool.

WaterDog

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
Really cool video, lot of history there.  Thanks for sharing - interesting that the pigeons are that size and all white.

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing. It makes me wonder how much it would cost to get my dad's movies transferred to digital. He has a bunch of films of surfing in the Santa Barbara area in the early 60's. He also shot quite a few films of motorcycle racing in the same time period. I figure the surfing ones might be of more interest but some of the old bikes are a riot to see as well.
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for getting quite a bit of 16mm film transferred to digital? Looking online I found this site but am unsure if there might be someone better.
http://mymovietransfer.com/

vitaminblue

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vitaminblue.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
I love this video. I live in Dana Point and it's great to see the old days. Strands was a special place then as it is today. Thanks!!!

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »
Thank you so much for this glimpse into the past...
It is HUGELY important to see the vast changes that happen in the span of one life.

I have followed the changes in the Dana Point area since the old "Killer Dana" big wave spot.
I well remember surfer frustration over that breakwater project.

"Progress" is not always...

It's easy to see where your love of the ocean came from... Great family!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:52 PM »
That was so great.  The guy talking was much more relaxed than me.  Way better.  I felt like I was in his home.  The white pidgins  were very understated.  The guy said he was biology teacher yet didn't hit us over the head with the obvious.  That was California in the golden years.  A whole point of land taken away?  Can you imagine?

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
Hey guys,

Sorry if my writing made anyone think that I (or my family) had any more to do with that video clip besides merely stumbling upon it when doing an Internet search for information about some DP history, and thought that others might also enjoy seeing it......but that is NOT any family, friends, or any relatives of mine.

So now with the record straight, I'm just happy that y'all enjoyed viewing it as much as I did.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
awesome- i live in DP also and remember the last part of the Good old days-Salt Creek was this mysterious place with a few bunny trails to get down to before all the rampant sprawl-and Strands was like you were on another planet-now it resembles Planet Hollywood with million dollar mansions right on the beach. Great vid!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:33:25 PM »
Just as a follow up of another film from the same person, here's one highlighting Catalina's past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB3i7b3AmIs&context=C30f33f7ADOEgsToPDskKAEsOTem90Rx26XNL5-rSY

Here's what's written at the Youtube page with the video, shedding a little light on the background of this and the first video.
This is the second half to a video I spliced together for Huell Howser when he filmed the 75th anniversery of Doheny State Park. My wife and I spent the weekend down there with our 59' Metropolitan and Tear Drop camper. I thought he might be able to use some of the video for the show.........that was part 1 of this video......."Historic Dana Point".... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVZrLbPe4n8
As it turns out........he didn't. But I thought there are some of you that might be interested.
Aloha, the Wilson and Cormack family
I enjoy seeing this kind of stuff and will post more as I find them....

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »
Wow, that Catalina clip was awesome!

But I have to take issue with the narrator about diving for coins below the bow of the SS Catalina, I WAS one of those kids doing it at the same time, early to mid 60's, and I don't remember any silver dollars.  The best we were getting were 50 cent pieces, and sometimes some of the smartass tourists aboard would throw pennies down that were wrapped in aluminum gum wrappers to make them look like dimes or quarters.
We could spot the denomination as the coins were coming down, so the silver looking ones would cause the most commotion in the water, so the tourists learned how to play us.
We would come in with our cheeks full of coins, the stronger you were, the more you'd get.  We'd usually spend them at the penny arcade on the pinball machines, or on the trampolines in the back of that place.  You know, the tramps that were sunk in the ground with cement all around the edges at tramp level, not safe at all.

I even spent a bit of time pumping gas at the gas dock for some extra cash.  Many of the islanders were friends of my family, so us kids would get farmed out there quite often.
How much trouble could a kid get on an island?  We found ways, I even lost something there that you can only loose once in your life.  Hea hea.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:09:12 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

paddlesurfpastor

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
Rad video. So much insight you can glean from that stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal