Author Topic: TRX Training?  (Read 9172 times)

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
TRX Training?
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »
I just started adding some TRX training in addition to my weight/cardio work. Try to hit it once a week. So far, like the stretch and stabalizing muscles used.

Anyone else try it or doing it? Thoughts?

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: TRX Training?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:59:14 PM »
I've been training with straps for years. The possibilities are endless with the TRX. I believe it is one of the best training aids out there. You can make it hard as possible or easy when rehabbing from an Injury.  You can use it for stretching and for strength training. Definitely should be in the training arsenal.

I keep one at work and one at home. Seems like I use it daily for different uses. I have learned to make my own for about 30 dollars and are just a s solid as a TRX.

Kourgen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: TRX Training?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:18:56 AM »
The TRX is a excellent choice for Sup fitness. Get one and get training it  will definitely improve your core and help with
 flexibility.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:30:36 PM »
Thanks guys. First day hit my core hard! I was sore for 3 days and I do core work on a regular basis. The guys I am doing it with are long term die hards and the workouts are longer than I normally do at 2.5 hours. My weight lifting buddies are razzing me, but I am digging it. Still going to do my normal weights and cardio just adding TRX.

I am tired at the end but do not get the same level of soreness ( other than core) as weights. Almost a recovery workout..

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
Try getting your hands down low to ground and raise your feet up on a tree, door or wall so your feet are way above you and do some presses very slowly concetrating on good form . That will definitely increase difficulty. Also you can use weighted vests as well.  I have had friends come by who are big time weight lifters and when I get their feet up above their body and tell them to do about 25 presses slowly they are shaking like a leaf at about the 15th one.

This video is kinda lame but at 1:45 he does some exercises with the trx with feet above body , you'll get the idea.

suspension trainer session

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: TRX Training?
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:36:36 AM »
Ive learned to make my own for about 30 dollars and are just a s solid as a TRX.

Please do share the plans!  Commercial straps are pretty expensive...

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
Buy my straps and handles from amazon. But you can use PVC pipe and strap as well.  I use the products below.  I also buy a couple Stainless rings  about 2 /12 to 3 inches and use a Carabiner . You can use your imagination on these straps on how to attach them. I use a strap through the rings and wrap around trees. Or I have a ring through a velcro strap that I wrap around anything and just clip the straps to it. The possibilities are endless. Also you can separate the two straps and attach them spread apart at shoulder width to a chain link fence or a tree branch , use your imagination !!.

Here is the straps 2 for around 6 bucks !!http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WXY/ref=oh_o00_s00_i02_details

Here is the handles about 12 bucks !!

http://www.amazon.com/Aylio-Heavy-Duty-Exercise-Handles/dp/B004NAN4FQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »

mantaray

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »
Another fan of TRX here.  After 30 years of free weights, it was odd to get my ass kicked by this thing.  I like how it engages most of your body when doing a particular exercise.  At age 50, I don't need/want the targeted bulk-up from free weights and prefer what I feel is more "funtional" muscle.  I still throw in some dumbbell work when I do my workouts.  Couple this with IndoBoard routines and I think it's a great workout for paddleboarding.

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:04:27 AM »
agree w trx props here...luv how suspension training makes simple moves (push ups, pull-ups, lunges...) into full-body intense core exercises...and offers such great variations.
like the row/pull-up moves in particular for SUP training, not only because of the obvious muscle group involvement, but also because you can shift from a strength (heavy resistance) move to a conditioning (interval type) move very easily.
In a Tabata (:20sec on/:10sec off/4 min) interval.. you can mix push, pull, and plank/ab stuff conveniently...and by varying position, you adjust difficulty level..so even if your cooked, you can keep on going.

I also like that peeps are finding ways to take advantage of suspension training without specifically needing trx.  There are some good rigs here I'm looking into and some even more primitive... i.e.  when in doubt, I use a dock line on front porch to do lunge/stretch move and push up variations...and once rigged up a dozen on soccer goals to work out kids at a speed-agility clinic.

Of course I also take full advantage of TRX set up at GYM... here's a fun pull/extension move using 2 TRX:
trx fun move - 2bl pull up/leg extension

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
Cool!! Great comments and ideas from everyone. I am only getting 1 of this style of workouts a week. Combined with my other workouts seems to be a magic combination.

Lucky for me, there is a group of hardcore trx guys at my gym that have invited me to train. It is nice having the support and instruction for technique. I have learned tons from these sessions.

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
Why don't you share what your learning ??

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
I got interested in ring training about two years ago. After looking around for rings to buy I decided to go with 1 foot diameter rope rings (actually called grommets in the nautical world). They're made from inch and a half, 3 strand manila rope hung from cam buckle straps. They are sold on a few strength websites for as much as $150/ set. Wow! So I made my own for about 70 bucks including straps. This is the set I made using these directions http://scouting1659.org/minnow/doc/minto/HOW%20TO-%20Make%20a%20Rope%20Grommet.pdf
and a 12 foot piece of rope.
Bunch of old shit

BobT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
Rings can be had for much less than $150.

The rings I have: http://www.ringtraining.com/shop/exf-rings.html

An alternative: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/store/equipment.html

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: TRX Training?
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
We need to get PonoBill to make a set of KeNalu rings now...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal