Author Topic: handle placement?  (Read 8953 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
handle placement?
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »
just wondered if any one had any tips for getting the handle placement right before glassing.

my last one i just put the fins on and balanced it out i think but it ended a little off, does anyone have any magic tips for getting right or are you putting them in after glassing?

im using the future's handle so would be nice if it went in pre glass.

cheers charlie

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: handle placement?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
I always install after glassing. I want lots of layers of glass under my handle flange. I don't want to step on the handle and have it sink and delaminate from a glass over job. It may look prettier doing a glass over for a board on the rack without pad.

Once the pad is on, all is hidden and you want to be darn sure it's solid.

I use Futures handles.

I lay a stack of fins on the tail, plus the pad. All loose just for weight. Then mark the handle location and cut.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
my method:  not sayin' it's right but it works for me.

find exact middle of your board from nose to tail.  make a dot 1" behind that point (towards tail).  this will be the leading edge of your handle.  and i typically go 2" off stringer - Futures box is 4.5" long. 

Kirk

I used your method to check my handle. It's real close. Only 1.25" too far forward. Probably can't even feel the difference.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
cheers guys nice to hear the different methods, what i did last time was to do the layup without the  plug in  then cut a slit in the glass and push the box in and then a patch over the top so it should have almost a full rap of glass. fair comment about stepping on it and sinking though. i might add a strip of glass around the under the box and up the sides this time to link boot sides together.  ill try that measurement method and compare it with sticking the fins and a bit of leash on the tail and see how it goes, im doing the fish at the moment so there is no deck pad or tail pad and i have got a fabric inlay going on so want to keep it nice and clean looking.
many thanks

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:38:56 AM »
use an ez plug stick on.they are great and since they changed to glue a couple of years ago i have never had a problem with any of my boards.it also makes it alot easier to control your board in surf when entering or exiting the water.never had any issues stepping on or tripping over it either.

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
It needs to be centered on the "balanced" middle which may be different from the middle as measured.  lay your board on a broom stick (like a see-saw, with the fin removed) and keep moving it back and forth until it balances out.  That's where your handle cup needs to be centered on.

Goes in after the glass like others have mentioned.

If you aren't in the balanced middle, your nose or tail will fall as you carry it.  Some people like to off center the handle towards one side but that's only good if you pick it up on the same side everytime, with changes in wind you need to be able to pick it up from both sides, therefore better off centering it IMO.

Dave

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »
my method:  not sayin' it's right but it works for me.

find exact middle of your board from nose to tail.  make a dot 1" behind that point (towards tail).  this will be the leading edge of your handle.  and i typically go 2" off stringer - Futures box is 4.5" long. 

Kirk

Thx.... works like a charm

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »
Just saw this post and thought I would offer another thought....I recently had Liftsup handles put in two of my older boards that did not come with a handle. The Liftsups work great and I wish I had them in all of my boards. I did learn that you have to be careful about placement. We got it right as far as centering the handles for front/back weight displacement...but, we put the handles off-center more towards one rail...Problem....I'm in the surf a lot and often will knee paddle (yes, the famed Pocahantas!)  and the handle is right under my knee....This resulted in lots of pressure on the handle and last week I had to have it resealed.  In the future I would definitely center the handle more towards the center of the board where it would be straddled when knee paddling....other than that I'm totally stoked with the Liftsup handles...TDE

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »
It drive me nuts that company dont put HD foam in the handle box area which help preventing water to get in(closed cell foam) in case there is a leak around the edge of the handle. i have couple board that i have to re-glass by put internal glass to seal the foam and glass on the top of the handle box.  it is an area where people stand on and the light weight eps can't take the compression so the box sink in which cause the glass to seperate from the box. sorry for the rant.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:18:30 AM »
i`m telling you try an ez plug handle.you`ll never want a handle box again.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »
i`m telling you try an ez plug handle.you`ll never want a handle box again.

Looks like Laird uses/trusts them.. http://www.lairdhamilton.com/p-75-sup-ez-plug-handle.aspx

DJ

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:13:06 AM »
i actually never try a EZ plug handle, would like to try one. does anyone have it setup on there board in SoCal area that i can try out? im just afraid it will catch my toes when i surf.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:53:03 AM by yiucycle »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »
   I put a EZ stick on handle after jamming my big toe in the slot.
   I filled the hole with soft foam and cut the pad so the new handle lies flush on the deck.

Works better than any handle I've used before.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:58:44 AM »
Does it hurt if if you step on the ez plug? or it is pretty flush with the pad?  I might do that to all the board i have, none of the straight edge handle is comfortable to carry around for couple block. i made myself a homemade ledge type handle like naish and it felt better but it was a lot of work and this ez plug seems like a easier and less time consuming solution.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
Does it hurt if if you step on the ez plug? or it is pretty flush with the pad?  I might do that to all the board i have, none of the straight edge handle is comfortable to carry around for couple block. i made myself a homemade ledge type handle like naish and it felt better but it was a lot of work and this ez plug seems like a easier and less time consuming solution.

No. It's almost flush with the pad height. You know it's there, but stepping on it is no problem.
So much easier to carry too. Can't believe I've never put one a board before now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal