Author Topic: Takayama 11 ALI'I II is it any good  (Read 1959 times)

gsievwright

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Takayama 11 ALI'I II is it any good
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
I am in a bit of a quandary...I live in new zealand and have been offered an almost new 11' Takayama ALI"I II at an amazing price for a board here.

It is a small market with limited advice from anyone who is not biased, so you either get, it is an amazing board or it is a load of rubbish, with very little in between.

Could anyone with knowledge of this board  let me know what they think of it.

Just so you know i am about 110kgs or 220lbs, have been paddling for just over a year, and would describe myself as a beginner heading into the intermediate category, and am looking for a board that will push me and improve my surfing.  I am currently on a Naish Mana 10'.

Would this be a board for me.

cheers

graeme

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:11:44 AM by gsievwright »

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Takayama 11 ALI'I II is it any good
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »
I'm a big guy too I found that Alii kinda tippy plus the Naish Mana 10 is a decent board. If you wanna push your surfing without spending a ton of time in the water I would suggest

1) The fanatic AllWave 9'6 or 9'10 I know they are available down under. I love these boards myself

2) Since you seem to have access to Naish the Mana 9'5 is a nice progression.A little "stickier" than Fanatic but a good option

IMHO:
I think the Fanatic will be the call newer design, much less expensive, MUCH better construction (Durability wise)

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or pop it up here if you like

Good Luck and have fun

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

gsievwright

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »
thanks for that Jim

will keep an eye out for the fanatic sups over here

cheers

graeme

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
I'm 175 lbs and have the Ali'i II 11'0" (28.5" wide).  I'm used to boards this width.  Also have a 9'6" Surftech Surf Music (28.5" wide) , and 9'8" Jimmy Lewis Hanalei (27" wide).  But if I was only going to keep one board, it would be the Ali'i.  (Only problem is that it doesn't fit inside my RSX like the other two boards do).  It handles small mushy stuff and big stuff.  Works as a 2+1 or single fin.  Surfs great from the tail and from the nose.  Feels way shorter than 11'0".  Probably the best endorsement for the board is what my non SUPing friends have said after riding it - "it feels like a surfboard".  They haven't said that about my other boards.  It is going to tippier, and probably really frustrating at first, but you can't go wrong with a Takayama.  They're made to surf. 

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »
i had the shorter alii and it was too tippy for me but back the i wasnt so
good (and havnt improved much haha)

lovely board with a real longboard feel for crusing and noseriding

NOT a do it all board IMLTHO

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal