Author Topic: Laird Hamilton's High Performance Breathing...  (Read 9730 times)

SUPracer.

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Laird Hamilton's High Performance Breathing...
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »

Quote from: Laird Hamilton
People don’t think much about breathing. Of all the things we take for granted, breathing has to be number one — even though it’s our main source of life and energy. When I started focusing on my breathing, I became a stronger athlete and was better able to control my levels of effort and pain.

Read the article:
http://www.mensjournal.com/laird-hamiltons-high-performance-breathing

Get the techniques:
http://www.mensjournal.com/laird-hamiltons-high-performance-breathing/2

WaterDog

Re: Laird Hamilton's High Performance Breathing...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
Great article, thanks for sharing.  Interesting take on breathing techniques.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »
The mouth vs. nose thing is goofy. Same pipe goes to the lungs. The big advantage of breathing through your nose is less dust gets in your lungs because of the sticky cilia in your nose. But the end result--breathing from your diaphragm rather than just expanding your chest--is critical to efficient breathing. I practice diaphragm breathing as often as I think of it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
One breathing technique I use is to breath in to fully fill your lungs then hold you breath for a count of ten. Then exhale fully and again, hold your breath for a count of ten. Do this ten times.

The trick is when inhaling to completely fill your lungs and to completely exhale all of the air in your lungs.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »
Next time I see him picking his nose running down the beach, I'll know what he is doing.  "Breathe through one nostril."  That guy has some amazing control of his nares.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
I like that Laird is so open to new fitness/training ideas. He is always trying to progress, and I think that is what makes him so successful.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
Breathing techniques aside...it looks like his skin has been removed the muscles are so defined. Not much oxygen being used to power fat cells thats for sure.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 07:09:24 AM »
do apnea walks/runs u will get to the 3 minute mark in 3 months. old free diving tricks.

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
holding your breath above the water won't help you in the water,that's why guys train underwater.must do with a buddy watching you,remember the guy in Kihei who drowned while practicing swimming underwater in a pool?he was a really good spear fisherman.
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
I'm always amazed there are any spearfishermen left on Maui, most of the guys I've talked to have had blackouts in the water. My neighbor, who is pretty avid, has had several and so has his son.

I rarely spearfish with a partner, maybe I need to pay attention here. I'm pretty sure if I blacked out by myself I'd just die. Then again I don't push my breatholding when I'm spearfishing for just that reason. Maybe that's the safer bet than hoping a buddy is going to save you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »
I've heard of swimmers--very fit, collegiate-type ones--dying while swimming underwater in pools.  What I've read is that the average person can't fight the urge to pop up and breathe, but as you get better, it becomes easier.  And you can push yourself into a point where you just black out.  It's not a matter of misjudging and not being able to get way up to the surface in time--this is in water you can stand up in. 

It reminds me of the hypothermia thread, or what I've read about people cooking themselves to death in hot tubs, and maybe carbon monoxide poisoning.  It sounds like you just gradually lose awareness, and don't ever realize what's happening. 

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 03:08:28 PM »
if your heart rate is up and u are holding your breath it is the same as when heart rate is up under water so yes it does help.  go to deeper blue form a lot on this topic.  run a mile and hold your breath at the end trust me it will help.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
As a water polo and swim coach, there is a lot of debate over oxygen intake for sprinters, and its affect on their performance. Some coaches and swimmers feel they should breath once on the first lap and twice on the return lap, and others to the opposite extreme, where they breath once every other stroke.

As for me based on my observation, performance is enhanced by increasing maximum VO2. Swimmers get better as their ability to maximize the volume efficiently consume O2 increases.  Training for this is mandatory.

PDXMike is right, I have seen swimmers nearly pass out from pushing their bodies beyond their limit.  The higher their max VO2, the farther they could swim at a sustained level.  Some argue that increasing max VO2 is limited by genetics, and that training will only allow for 20% increase in max VO2.  But even a 20% increase in max VO2 will increase an athletes endurance.

Laird has been on the cutting edge of a lot of things and its not because he sits around and plays video games.  I will research his techniques some more and integrate them into our workouts.  There is no doubt that the way we breath affects our performance.  I wish I could still swim and play polo like my students. Youth is wasted on the young.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »
Remember Mark Visser from Australia ? He has taken this type of breathing training to a whole nother level. The equivalent of the  Navy seals in Australia are learning from him !!  This is the Big wave surfer and Tow in Surfer who surfed Jaws at night. 

Big Wave Surfing Training !! He Blows out all his air. Then sits on the bottom of the pool for 1 min 30 - then swims 50 meters underwater with no flippers !!
This is his training in preparation for catching massive waves and potentially being held under for a set of 3 or 4 waves.!!  Looks a little harder than walking underwater with a rock ?? Although I'm sure he does this as well .

Heres the VID..... Mark Visser Big Wave Surfer 2:20m -ve Breath Hold Swim 50m

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
I'm impressed.  Just the minute and a half after exhale is rad.  Adding the 50 is off the charts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal