Author Topic: Do I Need a New Board?  (Read 2235 times)

osjpaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do I Need a New Board?
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
Hi.  New to the forum and to the sport.  Need advice on whether I need to get new boards or just be patient.

My wife and I do most of our paddling on the ocean in PR.  Lots of chop.  We bought used boards -- a JL Blade and a Surftech Laird / Ron House 11' 6''.  The problem is that we have a hard time staying on top of them.  I''m 5' 7''  and 170-180 and she's 5'5'' and 150 or so.

So my question is whether you guys think we should look at getting new boards.  I know for example that the Blade is a flatwater board, but, will different boards really make that much difference?  In other words, can we hope to learn on these boards?

In case it matters, we can each ride both boards in flat water.

Thanks in advance!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Do I Need a New Board?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »
How long have you been paddling? It took me longer than most to get started.  My balance is crap so I spent months getting the hang of it. If you've really just started I'd give it time. Keep going out in conditions that challenge you and soon you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

osjpaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
How long have you been paddling? It took me longer than most to get started.  My balance is crap so I spent months getting the hang of it. If you've really just started I'd give it time. Keep going out in conditions that challenge you and soon you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

I would say a few months.  That's the answer my wallet was hoping for.  I just want to be sure that we didn't get the wrong boards, because someone mentioned to me that we were going to have stability issues on the ocean (with the JL Blade).

CT SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
Given your sizes, both these boards have more than enough volume for each of you. the 29" width may be a little narrow for a beginner though. However you will eventually overcome the stability issues and should be fine.

I think I would focus on the type of board. The JL is a displacement-hull designed for speed/distance paddling. The Laird is a surf-style board - good for all kinds of paddling including surf but not as fast. Will there be "issues" if you two paddle all the time together?

I may look into selling the JL since there will be a fairly good market for it and get yourself a more all-around type board with bit more width.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
I say what Stoneaxe said. 

You could also see if you can test out a wide, stable board to see the difference.  You could even get one as a third board.  But you'll improve quickly, to the point the more stable board may be boring and the ones you have now will be fine.

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
There's always room for the, "is it the indian, or the arrow?" discusion. Don't forget your basics in open water. Hands forward, legs relaxed, eyes UP!  ;)

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »
Hi.  New to the forum and to the sport.  Need advice on whether I need to get new boards or just be patient.

My wife and I do most of our paddling on the ocean in PR.  Lots of chop.  We bought used boards -- a JL Blade and a Surftech Laird / Ron House 11' 6''.  The problem is that we have a hard time staying on top of them.  I''m 5' 7''  and 170-180 and she's 5'5'' and 150 or so.

So my question is whether you guys think we should look at getting new boards.  I know for example that the Blade is a flatwater board, but, will different boards really make that much difference?  In other words, can we hope to learn on these boards?

In case it matters, we can each ride both boards in flat water.

Thanks in advance!

Hi osjpaddler

Do you live in Puerto Rico? If you do, contact me and i'll help you guys with your issues.

Anyways, I don't think you need to change boards for now. I had the opportunity of teaching a friend to paddle in a JL Blade.
I feel that with the boards you both have, with good t.o.w. (time on water) your issues will be solved.

Be well !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »
I concur with the rest. If either of you were 50lbs heavier, changing boards might be considered, but right now it's about getting your sea legs and the only way to do that is t.o.w.  make it easier and paddle in a harbor if you can for a few sessions and then gradually go out into open water. I'm a big fan of buying boards a bit too narrow and then gaining the ability to manage them. Starting with something too big and stable makes it likely that you'll find it cumbersome when your skills develop.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

osjpaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 06:20:19 AM »
Thanks for all the advise!  Will do as I'm told and practice more.

Balance_fit: yes, we live in PR and generally paddle in the Pine Grove area.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal