Author Topic: Simmons for SUP surfing?  (Read 51575 times)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Re: Simmons for SUP surfing?
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2012, 10:14:19 PM »
I went by Infinity this afternoon and got my first look at the Phoenix. It is so hard for me to believe these things work. I did say the same thing before I saw Boludo ride his Simsup, and I'm sure I'll say the same thing when I see Kings' version.

The thing that I find so appealing about this shape is that the whole idea behind them seems to be all about groovy fun. Floaty, loose,  and speedy. Not so sure about a hard carve in the pocket but I could be totally wrong. Might be at home in knee high Dogpatch or thumping Rivermouth. Easy entry and paddling due to volume.

I want to arrange a paydate with Boludo's L41, grab a Phoenix, and the Kings and give them ask a go in the same conditions. Pretty sure they're all running slightly different bottoms and rails.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Exactly 10&2!!
i look at some of these sim sups and it just boggles my mind that they can snap and be surfed like a shorter board-but i trust Boludo and a few others that say differently-i have GOT TO get on one of these and see for myself!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
Re: Simmons for SUP surfing?
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:41 AM »
When Gary first loaned my the original SIMSUP, it sat in my garage for weeks.  It looked funny, short, and simply unlike any other SUP I'd ever ridden. Other shorter boards I had ridden were just too much work, missed waves, and in general weren't as much fun to ride as my trusty Angulo 9-11. I wrote off Gary's enthusiasm for the board to his eclectic taste in surf equipment (he loves his otter tail paddle and brimless surf beanie) and avoided taking it out. Still, knowing how stoked Gary was about this design (he was on SIMSUP 3 by this point) I decided to finally give it a go so I could return the board to him and honestly say I gave it a try.  I paddled out on it in fun, waist high reef break surf, with moderate offshore winds blowing.  From the first wave, it was like an awakening.  Fast beyond my imagination, super stable, and flat out fun.  Loose, turny, skatey, and most of all fun to surf.  One session made a believer out of me, and I quickly hit Gary up for a trial of SIMSUP 2.  I hung on to that board for nearly 3 months, tried to buy it from Gary (he couldn't part with it) and ended up ordering one for myself.  Once you try one, you quickly become a believer.

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Simmons for SUP surfing?
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »
I see these sims as being a blast in small fun waves but it seems hard to believe that things wouldn't get really weird in bigger stuff with all that tail area...and especially when dropping straight down and laying into backside bottom turn. Can anyone that knows better tell me why that big fat wide tail wouldn't force me to nurse my way into bottom turns (and especially backside bottom turns) and cutbacks in bigger waves?

I went by Infinity this afternoon and got my first look at the Phoenix. It is so hard for me to believe these things work.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

OC kbar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retributionfitness.com/index.html
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
Many had the same concerns about the Mini Simmons style surfboards. (So short so wide oh my).  The style may not be for everyone but I always have my 5'2 Simmons Style Hydrodynamica in the back of the car when going to surf. I am very interested in these sup shapes.   The only thing I think a Simmons inspired board does not do well in my opinion is go straight down the wave face like you would in a bigger closeout wave.  A situation you would try to avoid anyway. And they do not paddle very fast.

Cool Simmons surfing in all size of surf video below.   

http://surfboardsbyhydrodynamica.com/hulls/mini-simmons.html

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
Yeah they sure look like fun and it is the mini sims that has inspired me to want to shape and glass my own board for the first time in many years.

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2012, 03:26:21 AM »
Talked with Dave B last night and he is going to do some of the phoenix thinner , not sure my fat ass can stand on em but stoked he is going to have two versions, threw a couple pics of the twin fin to show how much fun these Simmons style boards are in nothing waves and normal fun surf

CHill

Last pic is a gopro shot in well overhead surf , the only draw back is your not going to
come square off the bottom with these type of boards , they surf off the RAIL not the TAIL untill you step back and its so easy to blow the tail out with controll.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
Thanks for confirming what I've been wondering about.

...only draw back is your not going to come square off the bottom with these type of boards , they surf off the RAIL not the TAIL untill you step back and its so easy to blow the tail out with controll.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard