Author Topic: Simmons for SUP surfing?  (Read 51459 times)

georgia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simmons for SUP surfing?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »
Hey wardog, yeah, the old big blue and gl have served me well from rivers and lakes to small waves (definitely got some puzzled looks around here for a while). Now I'm getting the itch for a shorter and lighter board though... And finally having a deck handle would be nice too! The simsup seems to have the extra meat on it to make the most of my favorite "waves"... I think y'all would just call it "flat"  :)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 05:13:25 PM »
Georgia, you'd be fine in FL surf on the 8'0.  And once you realize how much fun and easy it is to ride an 8 footer you'll never look back.

Kirk

I am starting to find that out with Simmy II  8)

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 01:50:49 AM »
Not exactly a mini-simmons, but my 6'9" "wombat" (Gong Mutant 2011) is the board I had the more sessions on in 2011... even though I received it only in September!!!
- Length : 6’9 = 206 cm
- Width : 31’ 1/2 = 80.0 cm
- Thickness : 4 5/8" = 11.7 cm
- Volume : 116 Litres
- One foot off nose : 24 1/8" = 61.3 cm
- One foot off tail : 23 5/8" = 60.0 cm

I would have never thought I would have so much fun on this low rockered, wide and thick tail design. The speed I get - even for my 100kg - in slow waves is exhilarating, I get bored now on my 9'6" "longboard" SUP I was using previously for small,slow waves. Of course on head high waves they become too fast for my abilities, and do not like a lot chop (at such short lengths, timing is everything for the take off, chop will mess your timing). But the short length is what gives you the speed and makes them fun.

The parallel rails and full outline make it surprisingly easy to paddle for its size. Much easier that my pointed nose 7'10".

I guess you can widen the tail a bit, and reduce a lot the aft rails to get more control in faster waves, but loosing acceleration and speed in slower waves.

On top of my 9'6":

Not my kid, but gives a good idea of the size :-)

Fun even in micro waves

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:55:13 AM by colas »

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 05:05:27 AM »
 Awesome looking board, colas... Love the shapes of some of those Gongs (aren't they made at the same factory as the Nah Skwells?); and who could resist that little spermy logo, too?  ;D....          Paddle on,           JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
They were made in the AHD factory in tunisia up to 2010, but now are made in China. Patrice Guenole goes to China regularily (every month at first) to show chinese workers how to finish the machine-shaped blanks, and how to glass properly. Chinese workers were apparently surprized, as nearly no western shapers come to shape & glass with them. I think Gong is the only brand I saw that publicly show the faces of the chinese workers for instance.

Being liberated by the constraints of molds, his creativity exploded in 2011, shapes are now constantly being refined.

The tunisia boards are stringerless, with real PVC sandwich, strong and light. Gong chinese boards use bamboo "sandwich" (not thick enough to really have the mechanical benefits of a sandwich construction) with a stringer, but by spending time with the chinese workers, the weight is not so bad now: 8kg for a 8'6" without pads & fins, but you will get pressure dents under the feet, unlike PVC sandwich. Strangely rails do not get paddle dents like the PVC sandwich ones did.

This said, I am impressed by how Hobie and Imagine Eco managed to get (some of) their production boards to be made in their home country, not an easy feat! In France I guess only Bic manages it yet.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »
As some of you have recognized i'm still on the search for a sail- and planable WindSUP (also her in the zone) and now i found al the info about  the simmons shapes when i was searching the net for "fast rockerlines".
Wouldn't these shapes als work for planing windsurfing?
Could they be pumped up to gather some volume to around 150 - 170 liters for better stability?
Alex

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »
You could get a "maxi" version of this board;

http://alexaguera.com/2012-le-cr-69/

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »
Hi Starman,
are these kiteboards shaped like simmons?
Alex A. is quite an icon in the wind sports, shame that he now is on the dark side (kite). I rode some of his windsurfing boards years ago and they were so good and ahead of their competition.

Alex

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »
The shapes Alex A is popping out look very much like a Simmons inspired design. He has gone with a diamond tail treatment and the nose is slightly different but concept is identical.

Compare the board to the expert on Simmons boards;

http://joebsurfshapes.com/boards-2/

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
How much do you weigh?

Not exactly a mini-simmons, but my 6'9" "wombat" (Gong Mutant 2011) is the board I had the more sessions on in 2011... even though I received it only in September!!!
- Length : 6’9 = 206 cm
- Width : 31’ 1/2 = 80.0 cm
- Thickness : 4 5/8" = 11.7 cm
- Volume : 116 Litres
- One foot off nose : 24 1/8" = 61.3 cm
- One foot off tail : 23 5/8" = 60.0 cm

I would have never thought I would have so much fun on this low rockered, wide and thick tail design. The speed I get - even for my 100kg - in slow waves is exhilarating, I get bored now on my 9'6" "longboard" SUP I was using previously for small,slow waves. Of course on head high waves they become too fast for my abilities, and do not like a lot chop (at such short lengths, timing is everything for the take off, chop will mess your timing). But the short length is what gives you the speed and makes them fun.

The parallel rails and full outline make it surprisingly easy to paddle for its size. Much easier that my pointed nose 7'10".

I guess you can widen the tail a bit, and reduce a lot the aft rails to get more control in faster waves, but loosing acceleration and speed in slower waves.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
Good info on the Phoenix Simmons/sup

http://infinitysup.blogspot.com/
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 09:36:04 PM »
I'll check that out. These guys seem to be making some really sophisticated mini simms sups: http://www.original-simsup.com/

Good info on the Phoenix Simmons/sup

http://infinitysup.blogspot.com/
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 02:05:19 AM »
I actually got a "Simmons" (at 8' it is too big to be called "mini"), with a deep rear concave, 2 keel fins, belly in front, and it suprisingly fun and versatile. You have to let the board "get to speed" at first on the wave, then it seem to "raise" on a ball of foam under the tail for a magic carpet ride. Very fun, can be used in micro conditions where the parallel rails outline work great on the trim line, but holds in hollow waves fine.

Belly front with thin rails:

Concave at the rear:

Great trim in micro waves:

Turns are made on the "water cushion" under the tail

Problem is finding bag for the wide tail

A different ride, but very fun, and working in a lot of conditions...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:12:15 AM by colas »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »
I've always been intrigued by the Simmons inspired sups.  Problem is, I weigh in at the equivalent of 113 liters of water, and at 125-130 L, they're just not big enough for my mass.  The widest I've seen is 30.5" (one of L41's models) and my crappy balance wouldn't be stable until about 32" or 33" at that length.  Love to try one some day but I fear it would be a lesson in futility.

I guess I should probably lose the mass...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal