Author Topic: Dominican Republic SUP?  (Read 17155 times)

keloke69

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Dominican Republic SUP?
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »
I'm currently living in Santo Domingo and have been paddling for a few weeks mostly in Boca Chica and Guayacanes. I have read some posts from zoners in Cabarete and Bayahibe anyone else here in the DR? Currently I only paddle alone and with my friend's chihuahua Chocolate so some company would be really nice.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dominican Republic SUP?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
 The wife and I have a TS in Cabarete and use to go down once or twice a year since '88... But that was when we were surfing and windsurfing. It was the perfect place for those two sports. Surf in early morning and then rig a sail and windsurf the reefs in the afternoon...
 Since we are now into SUP more than anything else, we seek out venues with less wind and off-shores; Mexico and Costa Rica these last few years but DO miss the DR...
 The TS closed for renovations a few years back and I doubt if it will ever re-open as they have felt the full force of this recession...      Paddle on,      JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

NYCSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on my blog about SUP and Fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »
BUMP - I am gonna be there this coming week - bring my air Mana to the north shore - any tips / places / shop /rentals / pm would be great !

STOKED!
> Urban SUPer

> When not SUP surfing I will be SUP fishing... It is really bad doctor...

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »
Lamont Weaver is in Punta Cana DR and you should look him up.  He has boards and knowledge of the area.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »
John Holzhall has a shop at Kite Beach near Cabarete on the north shore. He has SUP rentals and can tell you how/where to surf safe. His email is:
methodlodge@gmail dot com           Paddle on;       JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Supmmm

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
I'm heading down to cabarete tomorrow for a week. Get in touch with John at method lodge. He'll put u onto some good waves.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
 The waves can be good if you line up with a decent swell.  Vela in Cabarete has some rentals and the paddle distance to the break in front allows for frequent solo sessions or just a few others SUP's on a busy day.  Encuentro, is the nearby surf break.  Closer to shore and crowded with talent on one end and soft top lessons on the other. 

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
We spent a week in Cabarete last Christmas as a gift to my wife and kids.  We loved it!!  Front Loop Cafe is awesome and we loved the nearby Thai restaurant under the tent.  Horseback riding on the beach, coco locos, jumping off the cliff at Blue Lagoon.  I could go on.  So sorry about the condo loss JD.  That is a shame.         
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

NYCSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »
WOW - Very Nice guys! Thx a lot!

Any SUPer around Las Terrenas?

Like I said I have my air mana with me - but I am kinda scared to ride it on reef (for obvious reasons...)

What is the status on SHARKS?
> Urban SUPer

Supmmm

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
NYSUP - tried to pm u but the site won't let me for some reason. Have been out for the past couple of days off kite beach with method lodge. Nice conditions, I'm new to sup surfing but have gotten waves both days. Heading back out tomorrow. John has rental boards so you can save your mana from any damage.
Enjoy - jaime

NYCSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
OK - nice man - yeah I would like to rent a couple of boards - let s stay in touch!
> Urban SUPer

keloke69

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
lol i spent a year in the dr and nobody responded, finally got some ppl out but right after i left the country. i still had a great time exploring there whether rivers or surf or flat water lakes buying my own sup was the smartest thing i ever did in the DR.

I mostly rode alone almost always but a few of my most memorable paddles were with yumi at bayahibe sup. www.bayahibesup.com if you are ever down there no need to bring your own board she will set you up on some amazing paddles she has all the equipment and its a great price. she is fountain of knowledge on everything dominican as well. i am also able to give advice just pm me anytime.

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
hi there, im going with my family and a couple of friends to Punta Cana next week.

i have two inflatable mega red paddle and no extra luggage, so they wont charge overweigth

Here is my question: should i bring my own SUP or rent one there??

Is there any surf there? or only just cruising in clear water with fish?=

We are going to the iberostar bavaro hotel, dont know anything about Punta Cana geography!!!

And another question, maybe not in this forum...should i bring my kite to?? jejeje

Thanks a lot

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »

I mostly rode alone almost always but a few of my most memorable paddles were with yumi at bayahibe sup. www.bayahibesup.com if you are ever down there no need to bring your own board she will set you up on some amazing paddles she has all the equipment and its a great price. she is fountain of knowledge on everything dominican as well. i am also able to give advice just pm me anytime.

The website gave good info and they are 45-55 minutes away and will rent and deliver.  They have surftech Lairds, Paddle surf Hawaii and South County Surf SUPS so any size and ability is covered.  Contact Yumi at www.bayahibesup.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal