Author Topic: Ankle / foot conditioning.. balance training  (Read 5254 times)

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ankle / foot conditioning.. balance training
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
Ankle Agility - Bounce & Balance

This was not originally meant for SUP training... it was meant more for field athletes with ankle issues..  But as a SUP novice, my feet and ankles were giving me fits...and I realized many of the same weaknesses that caused me to suffer ankle sprains and shin splints..would also contribute to me not being properly conditioned to SUP for long without foot and ankle pain....
This stuff (esp :45 to 3:20 ; 4:30 - 5:20...) isn't SUP specific, but it sure made my feet more conditioned and more coordinated.... and led to me being more comfortable with any and all balance challenges...

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
Re: Ankle / foot conditioning.. balance training
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »
Yea!! some great stuff. Decades of moto cross & hanggliding left me with bad ankels.
I got in to sup to free them up alittle,working but still hard to walk in the morning just out of bed.
Whats that ball called again?gonna have to find one in CR.
Plenty of rice though can start with that ;D
Kinda the same... Before going out to sup with hot beach sand, rolling ankels as deep down as i can get them,feels so good.
Thx for your effort & motivation.
Shawn

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
Whats that ball called again?gonna have to find one in CR.

that was a bosu.. I think there are some other half-ball/balance trainers as well..
thx
(n like the deep sand ankle roll..)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:05:41 PM by SUPinside »

UDflyer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
Would the indo board help u out?? I love my indo board

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
indo board looks nice to me.. I need to order one... lots of possibilities there... bottom line is balance training really helps foot/ankle strength and coordination... and IMO there is is no one best answer (for any training ?)...use your imagination and continually change things up.. challenging your body to deal with it

luciesdaddy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »
MANY Mahalos for posting this.  I am in physical therapy for a sprained ankle and now that it is getting stronger, I need more exercises like this to do.  ;D

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:39:01 PM »
 Thanks for the training vids SUPinside... Been trying to do the paddle/bosu thingy at my local gym and can only get a few strokes in before I fall off the ball. It's really hard stuff but you male it look so easy... I notice your bosu seems to be deflated more than the ones I have at the gym. Think that would make it easier?  TIA and paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
2 other ideas..

- when standing in the grocery line, stand on one foot for a bit, then the other. 

- put your sup finless on one or two bosi ball (round side up) to work on your balance

Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »
Thanks for the training vids SUPinside... Been trying to do the paddle/bosu thingy at my local gym and can only get a few strokes in before I fall off the ball. It's really hard stuff but you male it look so easy... I notice your bosu seems to be deflated more than the ones I have at the gym. Think that would make it easier?  TIA and paddle on,   JD

Seems to be lots of subtle size variations in bosu?  I think they sell some different sizes, but even within the same size, my gym has some that seem fatter than others, not just because of inflation level, but also bladder size.  Doesn't bother me much because having to adapt is kind of what makes it cool.  To answer your question, yes a little smaller and more deflated bosu would seem easier, but you should be able to adapt to different sizes.  Try using a focal point when learning (i.e. on floor not far from bosu).  Don't look in the mirror - that will screw you up.  After getting relaxed...try to start looking around...

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
2 other ideas..

- when standing in the grocery line, stand on one foot for a bit, then the other. 

- put your sup finless on one or two bosi ball (round side up) to work on your balance

I hear u on the grocery store move... I'm a little antsy in church, so stand in the back... trying to be subtle..seeing how long I can stand on 1-foot at a time transferring weight from front foot to back foot.. When I feel guilty about my antics..I throw in some extra Hail Marys ;)

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
also skateboard deck on bosu, fitness ball, med ball, brick/rock (just about anything..)..can be nice alternative..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal