Author Topic: Requesting feedback on Joe Blair SUPs  (Read 4253 times)

supthecreek

Requesting feedback on Joe Blair SUPs
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:07:12 AM »
I would like input from anyone who has owned/surfed a Blair SUP.

I have read a lot of good things about them. I would like to know how they handle overhead hollow waves, because I mostly surf a "suck up" beach break. But I am looking for a board that can handle double overhead point breaks as well... and that means a long paddle back out.

I am 250 lbs and dropping fast.(SUP is a great motivator) I like to push my boards hard and work the whole wave. I am progressing on SUP but need to find a much more agile board that still has some float.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Requesting feedback on Joe Blair SUPs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »
I was looking at buying a Blair model as well ( stiil might ). I know there are a lot SZ threads on his boards. Have you called Joe himself? He is a wealth of information and very easy to reach. I called on a Saturday, expecting to leave a message, and he answered on his way to go surfing. A true character and a good guy.

Good luck

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:41:20 PM »
I was going to suggest the same thing. Call Joe. He is a stand up guy and a straight shooter. I think we are pretty lucky to have his knowledge so freely shared by himself personally.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »
Luca--people are talking about you on the "Wipeout pics" thread.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »
Thanks Corlot & Lucabrasi
I have huge respect for Joe and I really like his stoke and commitment to the SUP community. I know that he is always happy to talk personally with everyone. He's the best of "old school" and that is one huge reason his boards appeal to me.

I was just seeking rider feedback. Where I live, I have no access to first hand knowledge of his boards... that's the great thing about the "Zone"... you are all just a keystroke away : )

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »
After coming off of the SOS "big red" about six years ago, the 9'11" rounded pin quad Wardog sold me was a totally new way of experiencing sup. For the first time I felt I was making a "real" cranking bottom turn on a Sup. Joe Blair stated that the "magic" of his board came from placing the quad fins about 4" forward of other shapers. His board was very loose. To this day I still don't know why his board allowed for late takeoffs without pearl diving disasters. I  remember thinking "I can't believe I'm not eating crap right now" while plowing down a burgering wall. About three years ago I took a trip to Puerto Vallarta. I rented an 8'11" sup from Coral surf shop. I loved that board . It allowed for that "shortboard feel" yet maintained the glide of a bigger board. The attention to quality of Joe's  boards reminds me of what I remember my brother Bill Caster always strived to achieve-"Better equipment, better performance".
HOWEVER"..........Last summer I went retro and took out my old boards for a kick.  In addition to the Blair I have the 9'0" Starboard extremist, The 8'5" pocket rocket, a Psh 8'6" wide ripper and an 8'6" Jammer. The weight of the Blair was way too heavy. After riding the pocket rocket for two years The Blair was causing my windsurfing knee injury to roar back to life. Starboard has achieved a swing weight that I can't  go back on. If Joe Blair has made his boards light enough to have a swing weight to match these lighter boards that are out I would not even think twice about working with him on a custom board. After fourty years of surfing I think I am able to recognize a master craftsman's work when I see it. This man is an asset to surfing period.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:24:35 PM by toejammer2 »

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »
Thanks Toejammer, good stuff... good comps.

And I see sincere respect for Joe Blair in every response... very cool

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 06:09:41 AM »
After coming off of the SOS "big red" about six years ago, the 9'11" rounded pin quad Wardog sold me was a totally new way of experiencing sup. For the first time I felt I was making a "real" cranking bottom turn on a Sup. Joe Blair stated that the "magic" of his board came from placing the quad fins about 4" forward of other shapers. His board was very loose. To this day I still don't know why his board allowed for late takeoffs without pearl diving disasters. I  remember thinking "I can't believe I'm not eating crap right now" while plowing down a burgering wall. About three years ago I took a trip to Puerto Vallarta. I rented an 8'11" sup from Coral surf shop. I loved that board . It allowed for that "shortboard feel" yet maintained the glide of a bigger board. The attention to quality of Joe's  boards reminds me of what I remember my brother Bill Caster always strived to achieve-"Better equipment, better performance".
HOWEVER"..........Last summer I went retro and took out my old boards for a kick.  In addition to the Blair I have the 9'0" Starboard extremist, The 8'5" pocket rocket, a Psh 8'6" wide ripper and an 8'6" Jammer. The weight of the Blair was way too heavy. After riding the pocket rocket for two years The Blair was causing my windsurfing knee injury to roar back to life. Starboard has achieved a swing weight that I can't  go back on. If Joe Blair has made his boards light enough to have a swing weight to match these lighter boards that are out I would not even think twice about working with him on a custom board. After fourty years of surfing I think I am able to recognize a master craftsman's work when I see it. This man is an asset to surfing period.

Aloha John,
Huge respect for your brother Bill..."Better equipment, better performance"...your brother was a legend...

http://sacredcraftexpo.com/2008-tribute-to-the-masters-shape-off-honoree-bill-caster

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/bill-caster

As you state weight gets even more important with age...that's why most of our customs are carbons...

Those early boards that I worked with Blair on were heavy...that's why I pushed him into getting them vacuum bagged...also, to make them stronger...the hand glassed ones weren't holding up for wavesailing them...sounds like you're still pursuing that aspect of SUP as well...

These were from 2007...I think yours came out of that batch...some had tracks...some didn't...

http://surfingsports.com/blair_standup_quadrophenia/index.html

This was the first vacuum bagged Blair that I got in 2008...mast track...no handle...other than that, looks pretty current today...

http://surfingsports.com/blair_sups/blair_sup_4.jpg
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal