Author Topic: Damned Shoulder  (Read 4440 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Damned Shoulder
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »
Had a good training run with Bill Boyum today, ran from the Harbor to Kanaha, poached a few glassy knee-highs, then on to Spreklesville, poked around the outer sprecks reef, then back to Kanaha for a few nice rides and on to Pier One for some incredibly long rides that were just the right size to keep a foot on the rudder. Back into the harbor, sprint to the beach, and then in the dismount on the beach I got distracted trying to protect my rudder and fell onto my hands and knees in an inch of water.

Felt the dull pain in my shoulder that means something bad just happened. Sure enough, I can't raise my arm without assistance from the other one. I don't think I did a major tear, but my shoulders are held together with baling wire and duct tape. Never good for me to have an injury there. We'll see how it is tomorrow. In the meantime I'm RICE-ing like crazy and hoping it's just a sprain.

I did manage to hit the 140's a few times, which means it was a hell of a good workout for me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:24:03 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Flores

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Damned Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
Wish you a speedy recovery along with an ample supply of ibuprofen and single barrel bourbon.

soulpaddler

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »
That sucks man.  Hope it's nothing and you're better soon.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
Sucks, I just went to the Dr. today for a torn Rotator cuff. I got a shot to dull the pain so I can finish out the winter surf season. Then under the knife I go, hope you don't have to go down the same road.

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:05:22 PM »
808,  before you have surgery google prolo therapy hawaii and check out an alternative. My Father had this procedure done for a complete RC tear and was back playing tennis in just 2 months at age 70.  check it out.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:27 PM »
Sad to hear, I hope you guys heal up fast. 

Support your local shaper

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »
Think good thoughts and good things will happen

I tore a hamstring  SUPsurfing in October
I was totally bummed till 1 week later I got itchy for action and went for my first flatwater paddle
I discovered a whole new passion
When I look back, I am actually glad that the injury happened. Good from bad : )

Speedy recovery to both of you

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »
Hey wait a minute.  I'm fine.  Feel great.  Only PonoBill got hurt.. right at the finish. 

We initially intended to do laps inside the harbor so I didn't wear my camelback with the idea that I'd run up and drink after every lap.  But the crane was lifting containers (noisy) and two tugs were coming into the harbor so we fled out of the Straits of Hercules (harbor mouth) and headed up the coast. Wild Kingdom with many whales including a few jumpers.   

We did 5 sets of 20 sec sprints with 40 sec cruise but I quickly realized that the way I was sweating and with no drinking H2O, I would tap out soon so we abandoned that routine for a 4.5-5 mph cruise pace.  Like Bill wrote we tagged some waves at lowers and then cruised up to Sprecks where my pal was working on his bulldozer.  We went in for 15 mins and I drank all my friend's water. 

The waves at pier one on the return were like a ride from #3's (a very long Oahu wave) all the way thru.  Perfect size and just us.  10 miles total for 2 hrs 50 mins with surfing and a water break.  After we came in we were going to vid both of us for stroke study but PBill did his shoulder.  He did shoot me tho and I'll put it up soon and hope I can get some constructive input from Zoners.  Watching it I can see my stroke sucks for flat water.  Too much forward lean when down winding, would have you fall on your face.  So I'm spoiled and my stroke is short.  But I'm training.  New tricks for old dogs?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »
Dave K told me a long time ago that a paddle stroke is something you work on your whole life. I thought he was whacked at the time, or at least exaggerating, but now I know what he means. It's NEVER right.

I do think we need to do some more video and see what we're doing. I'll get some PVC pipe to make a floating yardstick like Jim Terrell did. Then we can do some stroke analysis and see how badly we suck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
Wish we had some video of the fall....I need a laugh... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »
Only a true brother (as opposed to the hippie use of brother) would say that.  But yes, a better dismount requires bending the knees and unfortunately for Bill, that's limited.

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
Bill - are you working on any Ke Nalu carbon shoulder replacements now?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »
My knees bend, just not very far, and not when I want them to.

Nick--I better think of something pretty soon, there's nothing left in my shoulders to fix.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
Wish we had some video of the fall....I need a laugh... ;D

Now that's brotherly love.

Sorry to hear.  I guess more time on your hand to build more test gadgets.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
Bill--too bad about your shoulder, esp. after last year and your knee. 

But the important question--did you succeed in protecting the rudder?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal