Author Topic: A week in the life of an addict  (Read 4428 times)

supthecreek

A week in the life of an addict
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »
Weather: Unpredictable
Purpose: Enjoy 2 hours of addiction EVERY day
Monday: Perfect, warm & calm
Tuesday:A forced a day of rest to test my self control
Wednesday: Cross Training... walk 18 holes
Thursday: Cool, calm & overcast
Friday: Small swell... SUPsurfed 2 hrs alone... SUPers RULE... today at least
Saturday: Snow Storm... 8" with calm winds.. paddling in heavy snow is amazing : )
Sunday: Calm after the storm... glassy perfection in a winter wonderland...

Just had to log this... it was a great week !

The picture of the Geese taking flight is the reason I bought a waterproof camera...

So many incredible moments in one week... Seasons do have their benefits

By the way... I have never seen an other paddler on these incredible waters. I know they exist... but I haven't seen one.

Paddle on zoners...

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A week in the life of an addict
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »
I've heard they have changes in weather but that's radical.  Looks pretty serene.  Good on ya.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »
Whereabouts on the Cape?  I lived in Barnstable and Dennis Villiage for about 7 years. I miss that place something awful. 
Support your local shaper

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:51:11 AM »
I live in Orleans

The Cape has incredible paddle diversity. With all the ocean, bays, rivers, coves and creeks, I can usually find a place to paddle that is protected from the wind.

I lived on the North Shore of Oahu livin' the surfers dream, but I never made i to Maui. Funny thing... when I lived in Hawaii for 7 months, the thing I missed most about the mainland was getting in a car and going on a long road trip...

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »
very cool
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Matt Ivey

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:41:04 AM »
Looks like some great days of paddling.  Hard to imagine that there is no one else out on the water in those spots. 

cole gnar

• Sunset Status
  • Irie strokes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:49 AM »
That's what all of my free time consists of. Either stand up surfing, prone, skim, or for a nice paddle. Sounds amazing I'm also surprised your the only one!
peace,
gnar...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
The cape seems typical of the steady growth of SUP. Four years ago Bob scraped up five or six people to do the CCBC, the pre-party was in his den, the after party was all of us staggering away to dinner.

Last year it was about 80 people, the pre-party took over the top floor of the Cabby Shack, the after party was immense, hundreds of people, a band, great food, took over a whole park. We were met by a welcoming committee on SUPs.

The distribution of where SUPs are used in the population will ensure we never see crowds of SUP in our favorite secluded paddling spots, any more than Kayakers do--there's so many places.

Nice shots. And a nice story. Great fun, isn't it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »
OK Supthecreek, we’ll have to get together

The Cedar Creek shot looks a view over by Salt Pond in Eastham

Golfer, at the Captain’s Course?

Après has Liam’s behind your head

The River Dock is Nelson’s for sure.

Beware!  There are others in town!

Ron C.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 06:46:05 PM »
Hey PonoBill
I have not met Bob, but when I took up SUP this summer, I quickly found out about the Cape Cod Bay Challenge. They did a nice job with that. I know a few of the folks who made that trip. Cudos to all of them. That's a very hefty paddle... I know they have really elevated the awareness of such a worthy event.

And you are spot on with the many places comment... I have enough launch sites mapped out that I may never get to all of them.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »
ron.c
You got em' all : )
I had a blast all summer & fall meeting the SUP surf crew ... nice group.
I did not get into flatwater until I yanked a Hamstring during the Hurricane Ophelia swell.
I paddled for rehab and found out how much more this sport offers. I was blown away by how  addicting SUP exploring is. Now, in this year of spotty surf, I can feed my need by slipping into the backwaters.

In winter I generally paddle from 10 to noon... then off to reality.
If you want to meet up for a paddle, just pm me... but I am not as addicted to forums as I am to the paddle, so give me a little lead time and I'll give you my number.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »
That's what all of my free time consists of. Either stand up surfing, prone, skim, or for a nice paddle. Sounds amazing I'm also surprised your the only one!

Cole, how are things in S. Florida?  You do realize it's freaking WINTER here, right?  38F air temp is not boardshorts weather (at least not for me!)...
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
Nice pics...gotta love paddling in the snow.

We'll have to hook up sometime creek. I'm usually on the Cape once or twice a month.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
You got the bug.  Great pictures and story.  In six months you will be buying yourself a downwinder and a flatwater race board.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
Supthecreek, Thanks for sharing. Paddling in the cold weather sounds like a great idea to me! There is a quiet beauty when snow is falling that I still remember. However, I don't really know the kind of cold you are used to.  ;) If you ever come back to Hawaii make sure to visit maui. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal