Author Topic: The Space Pickle from Slingshot SUP  (Read 83109 times)

stvandev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Space Pickle from Slingshot SUP
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »
Thinking professional disagreements should be handled in a professional way, off of public forums.....
Focus SUP Hawaii Ambassador

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
Aloha Debbie,
Does this mean we're not "friends"?...;-)

I had no intent to chase you away...just stating facts of the case from how Art and I see it...
The thing about belonging to community forums is being a contributor...not just a spammer...part of that responsibility is also properly identifying your self and affiliations...no big deal...I'm not the SUZ cop...just informing you of proper protocol...

This isn't a tough crowd, IMO...but, it is a little tougher than Face***k where everything is always teddy bears and flowers...with police on every corner...;-)

Your company obviously values IP...as does mine...

A statement such as the one that Starboard made in their catalog, and website, when they "borrowed" from one of my design collaborations with Art Colyer, would have been appropriate...they even credited me with a signature on the bottom of the board...

http://surfingsports.com/starboard_2011_container/sb_2011_810_wp6.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/starboard_2011_container/starboard_2011_810_wp5.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/starboard_2011_container/starboard_2011_810_wp1.jpg

"Influenced by the short and wide high performance wave riding SUPS that resulted from the collaboration between Wardog and Art Colyer of North Pacific surfboards on the North American West Coast.
The design progression of the Wide Point series shape has been further tested and refined by Scott McKercher in the wave conditions of Western Australia, and Svein Rasmussen in Hawaii. Where the short and wide ground-breaking Hero (9'0"x33") and Whopper (10'0"x34") are better suited for the everyday surfer, the short length and pulled-in nose creates substantial outline curve for responsive performance in a relatively wide board. A single to double concave provides lift and speed onto a wave and through a turn. At 32" wide it has generous stability while retaining a �hot dog" style of surfing from 2ft to 10ft waves."

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »
Thinking professional disagreements should be handled in a professional way, off of public forums.....

Totally agree with that, i sure it is not a same board unless they brought a Jammer and couple it and add a fatter nose.  from a consumer view, i can see that as progression, someone tweak a bit here and there to to make it for better or worse(most of the time worse).  But if i have to pick between the two, i will take the Jammer b/c first im close to SB, second i seen the Jammer in person and it look sick(would like to demo it on a wave), and the third and most important of all it is custom make for my weight and skill level.  

SS_SUPer
keep posting your products, i like options.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »

It's not a disagreement the way I see it...they haven't refuted my statements or provided a covenance of board design, or proof of concept, independent of what Art Colyer and myself have created...

What are the chances of another company located in the same area as the shaper I work with, and where the Jammer is being produced, coming up with a very similar design all on their own in their first year of trying to enter the SUP market?

Extreme coincidence...harmonic convergence...or what?!?!...;-)

This thread is exactly the place that this should play out...just as it was when the Wave Rod issue came up with respect to Sean Ordonez and Joe Blair...and, a few other issues...;-)

Sorry...the Space Pickle didn't pass my "innovative" sniff test...I'm definitely not the only one noticing the "subtle differences" to the Jammer...;-)

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck"...;-)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:31:28 PM by SUPsports »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty sure I've seen some parmenter widowmakers with six channels, but I can't say for sure. The Raimana has been out for at least a year and a half, and it has had a six channel bottom the whole time. You've got a board that's a little shorter, a little wider, and the tail is different. This passes your innovation sniff test but the slingshot board doesn't?

The waverod was a complete template grab, there was literally nothing different. The difference between a wide nose and a narrow one is hardly cosmetic, and the 7'6" version of the board is even more of a change. If your changes to the tail and general dimensions are enough to make the Groove a different board than the Raimana, why aren't Slingshot's changes in nose and general dimensions enough to make it a different board than the Raimana?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty sure I've seen some parmenter widowmakers with six channels, but I can't say for sure. The Raimana has been out for at least a year and a half, and it has had a six channel bottom the whole time. You've got a board that's a little shorter, a little wider, and the tail is different. This passes your innovation sniff test but the slingshot board doesn't?

That's exactly what I'm saying...I saw the Raimana for the 1st time after reading your reference and doing research...
The Raimana has subtle channels...maybe that's the best that a machine can do...ours are actually deep grooves going all of the way off of the tail...and, starting much further up...intended to actually affect water flow significantly...increasing lift...tracking...grab...etc...the boards are completely different...

Regardless, I'm not claiming to have invented 6 channel bottom boards...read post #8 in this thread where I give credit to Allan Byrne, Hamish Graham, and Art Colyer for their previous work...of course, there are others...hand shaping 6 channel bottom boards is a lost art...

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=14541.0

I also outlined in detail how I arrived at the Jammer SUP shape...giving Geoff McCoy and Cheyne Horan credit...

The waverod was a complete template grab, there was literally nothing different. The difference between a wide nose and a narrow one is hardly cosmetic, and the 7'6" version of the board is even more of a change. If your changes to the tail and general dimensions are enough to make the Groove a different board than the Raimana, why aren't Slingshot's changes in nose and general dimensions enough to make it a different board than the Raimana?

I know people who were in the Slingshot booth at Surf Expo in September and there was no Space Pickle...of any size...just wondering how it came about for a first year SUP company?

It's easy to have your art department generate graphics of virtual boards...lots of companies do that...we actually have been producing the Jammer for over a year and can make it any size you want...including 7'6"...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

locnlod

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
W...

You know that this is all new to me, but right after I saw the pic, and before I saw the second thread (yours), my first thought was..."Gosh, that looks like my Jammer".

QUACK...QUACK...QUACK!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
Not to interrupt a perfectly good argument... and recognizing that I am a total Imagine whore... (and that Roger is on me to make a new board with him...) I am fanstasizing about a Jammer slimmed down to about 27, with 6 channels, at about 8'3" and 3.75 for some early entry and ridiculous speed... 

Krikey she's sexy!

Okay... now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
Shouldn't this pissing match be taking place in the SUP Marketplace?

Maybe the Admin can move it over there, but then again I think the microwave just went off and I need to go grab my popcorn.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
It looks like a duck to me!  (and someone needs to rip the semi-colon and close parenthesis from Wardog's keyboard)   :o

UDflyer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »
Well I saw one in person last week. I have nothing to add besides this picture.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »

Blown up version of the Sweet Potato?

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
ill admit im totally trolling this thread!
I rule in favor of Wdog-i can totally see his frustration.
I also am a whore-just for Infinity-nice Tim-lets add an individual little venturi to each channel too yeah!?
Space Pickle?!-really?-sounds like the nickname for Major Toms favorite appendage! ::)
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »
 Sweet potato,Space pickles man I am getting hungry guess I'll be jammin it down with another cold one. I agree with jd pass the popcorn love threads like this.

pajsan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
go to slinghot website or goggle space pickle slingshot and there is a video from surfexpo with all their boards

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal