Author Topic: New inflatable sup's?  (Read 165436 times)

SupPat

Re: New inflatable sup's?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »
Stubled across another decent looking board today made by Blue Planet Surf. Actually have a few variations of inflatables and a more moderate price. too many choices!!

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »
i have not been here for a while so...

first of all for those that do not know me and so there is no confusion like before

...i ride ULIboards...they work WELL...i am not allowed to say a lot here but...youtube has many videos of ULI's in action...search "uliboard"

a lot of comments about other guys pumps and psi in the boards...it used to be a problem...we have solved it...

;D

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »
I previously posted that I had picked up an Inflatable Hobie Drifter at the Surf Expo. It was one of the show boards and they had to ship me the pump....Came in yesterday and here's a few pics of the board (inflated) and the 3 piece paddle that comes with it. Haven't had it on the water yet and I'm interested to see how it paddles.....Tim

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
Good to hear from you Steamroller!  ULI will have a tent & demo boards at the Hanohano race this Saturday: www.hanohano.org  We're gonna see how the new 12'6" and 14' go against the hard boards...
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

gafas

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:01 AM »
Those racing ULI's look good.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »
they sure do!!!
 :o

i cant get out of work on sat otherwise i would be there too...have fun you guys...and say hi to the bulldogs if they are there...
 :D

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

I have a Naish Mana 6in,

It is a fun board. Super easy to paddle. I have no experience on other boards, but this one felt more like a big board than I expected. Paddles into small surf easily.

The pump provided is super high quality, and easily pumps the board to the right psi. Actually I am looking to buy an extra pump like that for my kites because of size and quality. It tells you when there is enough pressure in the board. Pumping it up on the beach was getting a lot of attention. Pretty funny really.
The Naish board also has things of for bringing a little cooler (read: beer) with you on small excursions. Super cool that you can put it in a bag and go. Though I would not use it in big waves, I think it is amazing what companies comes up with these days.

The board goes well with the telescope paddle.

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
I actually wrote this about a week ago but the dodgy internet connection prevented me from posting it.  It's a bit late but still relevant even now the Imperial effect has waned. -

Quick disclaimer here - I am a die hard Uli fan and have been for four years. Jim and the guys pretty much invented the inflatable Board concept and whilst the basic bladders may be from 'shared'  (read copied) variants the finished ULI products are massively reworked in the US. That reworking involves tuning the rocker with carbon 'stringer' strips and the use of hi quality US sourced fittings, grip and pumps.

I have had four ULI's to date and just this last week had the pleasure of hooking up with the ULI guy's again in Costa Rica where I had the opportunity to try an amazing new super stable prototype sub 9'r that I will probably be Steamroller'd for even mentioning. We surfed small punchy beach breaks and paddled down the coast a mile or so and three quarters of a mile out to surf an offshore reef at head high with total confidence.

My lightweight single skin 8'11 Munoz is well into it's 2nd season and has just been totally ragged two and three times a day at Playa Guiones for three solid weeks - no complaints no issues. ULI's are without doubt surf boards not just boards that can be paddled in the surf.

Personally I would rather have an original, but as I said I have a blow up bias. Just for the record I also love my Naish Hokua 9'3 and Mana 9, and am currently getting intimate with a DW 7'10" Dumpster Diver, not sure if any of that is relevant but all those boards are proper surf boards and my ULI  stacks up well with any of them, the  main difference being they don't fit in my suitcase.

Currently weighing in at 210lbs and typing this from our balcony in Guiones on our last night in Costa loaded with Imperial and Marguerita's.  Buenos Noches or something like that.

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 08:49:57 AM »
most people I've met that knock an inflatable are those that didn't get the pressure up high enough - 10psi is not enough.

with a board at 15psi or more you should have less to complain about.

if you're an average adult, and the board can't do at least 15psi  - don't buy it for surfing.

notes:
the boards with the "wavy" pattern on the top & bottom max out at about 12psi
(they have less drop stitch strings between top and bottom layer and are more prone to twisting).
the boards with a "golf ball" dimple pattern can take the higher pressure.
(more strings in side the board holding it together and allow higher pressure, both making it stiffer).
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
Airsup has got  it spot on in my opinion - all inflatables are not the same  - drop stitch is the state of the art in this field, couple that that with a carbon stringer, 17 - 20 psi and a custom shape and you are talking about  a proper usable surfboard.  Stiff and totally rip'able rather than a soggy, mushy mattress.

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 05:29:14 AM »
SupPat

I took it out today at around 15psi. Took some pictures of me and each one of my daughters on it with me. So that is 160 + 75 and 160 + 90. Paddled straight and wasn't too flexy. (will post later to tonight) Still though, it needs another 5 psi or so. It has little rocker but it is pretty solid and for knee or thigh high mush in south Florida (not sure where your at) it would work fine. For waist high low tide sandbar, your probably looking at another board all together. I would even say an epoxy board at that point.

Where are you located?

The red paddle boards are not available in the US. I have been talking to the owners via email to find  out when and if they will have anybody. Taking to them about purchasing a demo board, but for now a qty of one shipped to me in Miami is 175 dollars from Aus. Would like to test one out before I commit to a large qty.

Hey guys, there is a Red Paddle distributor in Canada, I got 3 of the 10'6's last year. The pump is good, and I have no trouble getting the board to 17PSI. I have 2 new ones that are for sale, see my post in the classified section. They are a nice board, paddles surprisely well in flat water, and I've surfed it in small waves and had a blast.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 05:43:23 AM »
SupPat

I took it out today at around 15psi. Took some pictures of me and each one of my daughters on it with me. So that is 160 + 75 and 160 + 90. Paddled straight and wasn't too flexy. (will post later to tonight) Still though, it needs another 5 psi or so. It has little rocker but it is pretty solid and for knee or thigh high mush in south Florida (not sure where your at) it would work fine. For waist high low tide sandbar, your probably looking at another board all together. I would even say an epoxy board at that point.

Where are you located?

The red paddle boards are not available in the US. I have been talking to the owners via email to find  out when and if they will have anybody. Taking to them about purchasing a demo board, but for now a qty of one shipped to me in Miami is 175 dollars from Aus. Would like to test one out before I commit to a large qty.

Hey guys, there is a Red Paddle distributor in Canada, I got 3 of the 10'6's last year. The pump is good, and I have no trouble getting the board to 17PSI. I have 2 new ones that are for sale, see my post in the classified section. They are a nice board, paddles surprisely well in flat water, and I've surfed it in small waves and had a blast.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
 :D

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »
Not spongy?
So I gather from this thread that the new inflatables are not spongy, at all?  I bought a cheap Sevelor inflatable early on.  It challenged my already challenged balance.

So which boards can zoners assure me are 100% hard, When inflated to 15+lbs?  How hard is that Ulo 14' when fully inflated?

Go ahead a chime in Steamroller.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »
The ULIs are rock solid.  Most people don't believe its an inflatable even after squeezing it.  You will get some flexing when you are on a wave face, and if you jump up and down on it.  But the board maintains its rocker profile even with 200+ riders, which is pretty incredible.  If it won't take at least 15 psi, just walk away.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal