Author Topic: Kalama and Naish part ways....  (Read 13600 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kalama and Naish part ways....
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »
Nice post from Dave about leaving Naish. Pretty much what he told me the other day. Classy guy.

http://www.davidkalama.com/2012/01/moven-on/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:09:54 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bean

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 04:58:05 AM »
That's very exiting news; I'm really looking forward seeing what he comes up with!

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 05:30:44 AM »
Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see what he comes up with; and after reading, I retract my previous comment about Southpoint.

bean

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 07:35:43 AM »
Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see what he comes up with; and after reading, I retract my previous comment about Southpoint.

But I'm sure many of us were thinking the same thing; one of the first boards I had the pleasure of paddling.

sideshore

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »
DK personifies "Lead by Example." For someone who has done and seen it all (and still rips with the best of 'em), he remains very humble yet he projects passion for the ocean and more "aloha" than just about anyone in the industry. Personally, I don't think Naish leveraged his star power and name recognition in the industry efficiently.  It will be interesting to see where he lands and how his new board sponsor leverages his universal appeal. Good luck Dave!

Waterline

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
DK personifies "Lead by Example." For someone who has done and seen it all (and still rips with the best of 'em), he remains very humble yet he projects passion for the ocean and more "aloha" than just about anyone in the industry. Personally, I don't think Naish leveraged his star power and name recognition in the industry efficiently.  It will be interesting to see where he lands and how his new board sponsor leverages his universal appeal. Good luck Dave!

Well said! I met Dave at a Naish demo day. Although I was in the process of buying a 7'8, went to the demo day just to meet Dave. What a great guy! Best of luck.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Personally, I don't think Naish leveraged his star power and name recognition in the industry efficiently.

Might that be the reason why they part ways? Neither parties got what they felt was best for them? Sounds like a perfectly reasonable arrangement and nothing to get upset about.

It is obviously good to see people can part like adults, but at the same time it is also obvious that these splits also affect future business relationships, and if Kalama or Naish had been abusing eachother, it would affect future potential business arrangements.

Either way I hope Kalama is not trying acting like his tow-in partner. ;-)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
Hey, I thought Laird was pretty good in the Descendants but no, I can't see Dave doing that, though he's done stunt work and some fine work in Waterman's Workout, which I have YET to finish (lazy bastard)
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »
Hey, I thought Laird was pretty good in the Descendants but no, I can't see Dave doing that, though he's done stunt work and some fine work in Waterman's Workout, which I have YET to finish (lazy bastard)

haha I was just kidding. Just weird to see him there.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:28 AM »
how about kalama sup?

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 07:10:10 AM »
Now that he's into shaping a bit, it would seem like that could be a great direction for him to go in.....he would certainly have the name recognition already.. 
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 08:30:51 AM »
Talked to Chris P. on a new Kalama shape at Ho'okipa a few days ago. He was loving it. If he makes a fat boy version I'm getting in line.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal