Author Topic: Paddling in cross winds  (Read 18941 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling in cross winds
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »
this ancient video (it says 2007, but by 2007 I had already given this board to Bob) show the kind of stroke you're talking about. Don't bother with the second half of the video--all BS.

SUP 101: Paddling Straight and Footwork

The legs in the drysuit remind me of another really stupid video I did: http://www.kenalu.com/shakira-sups-2/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:34:33 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »
there's no right or wrong, just what works for you, on that specific board in those specific conditions.  i'm 6-5 230, so my weight on the board may be different from yours thus effecting performance. try as I suggested and see what happens.  if not, edge the opposite way, etc...

And not all kayaks (and sups) react the same to those conditions either.  i just tested a TideRace Xtra for Sea Kayaker which tracked very well without a rudder in side winds, yet my Illusion (same length, rocker and type of boat) wants to turn downwind.  Adding the skeg on both - each still has slightly different reactions to the same conditions. 

personally my Illusion (sea kayak) does react similiarly as my longer boards in similar conditions.  and most displacement SUPs are only displacement in the nose, planning in the middle.  cheers.

Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

Adolfo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:35:39 AM »
this ancient video (it says 2007, but by 2007 I had already given this board to Bob) show the kind of stroke you're talking about.

Yes Bill.
Not only that video shows the kind of stroke I’m talking about, but that is THE video that thought me how to do it!!!
It was something like, 5 years ago, when I was searching the web for tips on paddling straight without switching sides every 3 strokes.
It really changed things for me back then.
Many thanks!!!
Starboard 12'2 x 26
Naish Javelin 14 x 26
Naish Nalu 9'6 x 28
Starboard Hypernut 7'4 x 30 + foil
Starboard All Star 12'6 x 26

PaddleSpot

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • PaddleSpot.net
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »
Hello everybody,

My name is Olivier, living in Marseille, France

I just wanted to let you know that I've been working hard on this crosswind issue, and starting to have very interesting results with this f-one 14

Olivier Drut
PaddleSpot.net  - Find your next SUP spot

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 04:59:27 AM »
Olivier, I like your experiment, but I would use a fin box. My concern would be getting hurt by falling on top of it when it's in the up position.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:15:45 AM by Chilly »
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

PaddleSpot

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • PaddleSpot.net
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
Chilly

You are right, I still have to improve a lot of things, but it's already really efficient. I did a lot of testing last week, flat water, wind between 15 and 25 knots. I must have paddled more than 50 miles over the week. With that small daggerboard, the board becomes amazingly soft and balanced. It just wants to go straight.

On the next version, the upper part of the daggerboard will be in balsa wood with just a thin layer of fiberglass, so it should break before my skull or chest does. The lowerpart will still be in carbon fiber.

Basically, downwind, I strap it on the deck.

Olivier Drut

PaddleSpot

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • PaddleSpot.net
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »
Previous versions, on a Redwood Paddle 12'6"

I still have to try different sizes, shapes and positions, before I think of a definitive pivoting system.

Olivier Drut

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 06:11:57 AM »
Oliver, your front fin set up is similar to the ventral fin system that Larry Allison has been perfecting this past year or so...which is probably something similar to something else that someone else did before....I'm still new to the sport and I am finding out that a lot of stuff with shapes of boards and fins tend to have histories in windsurfing, or surfing, etc...and I don't want to leave anyone out or disrespect anyone who may have pioneered something.  I think it's all pretty damn cool.

My main comment  to the crosswind/ chop issue:  In my experience, when I was on a Fanatic Fly 14 race, if I was running with a fin that stuck in deep, I had all kinds of trouble with crosswinds and cross chop.  The Fanatic had tall, squarish rails like some of the Naish boards do, and I ran into the same issues.  Chop would lift the nose and set it down towards the downwind side.  I experimented with standing forward and back, sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn't.  For me, the corrective strokes when having to be done repetitively were killing me.  They would wear out my shoulders pretty fast, and since I wasn't getting much power into them, I really wasn't moving forward.  I followed advice from Larry Allison and switched to a different fin, which made it little better, and from there kept playing with fins.  For me, on a 14', if i know I am going to deal with mostly side wind/ chop on a course, then I tend to go with a small fin.  In my experience, a big fin in those conditions feels like it is sticking deep and keeping the tail fixed and therefore becomes a pivot point, making the nose swing to the downwind direction even easier. 

I've recently changed to paddling a different board.  One that is a little wider with shorter, rounded rails.  Now, in cross chop, water will wash over the board at times, but I've gotten used to it.  On the higher volume, higher railed Fanatic, for me it would feel like I was on a cork as well as the other issues.  The biggest change for me though is that now that I'm on the wider board, I feel more stable and if I am forced to paddle on only one side to deal with the cross wind/ chop I can do more of a regular stroke that utilizes my core instead of corrective strokes that wear out my shoulders and sap my energy.  Not fighting the board when it feels unstable under me has meant that I don't burn so much energy just trying to stand up!
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

PaddleSpot

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • PaddleSpot.net
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 06:33:34 AM »
> In my experience, a big fin in those conditions feels like it is sticking deep and keeping the tail fixed and therefore becomes a pivot point, making the nose swing to the downwind direction even easier. 

Totally right ! But using a smaller fin means letting the tail drift, hence reducing the pivot effect but having the whole board drifting, even if you don't feel it in the paddle. I think the easiest way to get rid of this pivot point is to balance it with a fin under the nose.

Olivier Drut

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 07:11:24 AM »
True, I do notice a "slide" feeling at times, but for me at least, I prefer that feeling over the constant fight to correct the nose.  Especially if the chop is really close together, like we get in florida.  You will be at a point where you haven't even finished your corrective short stroke when another bump pushes your nose the other way again!  LOL.

This past summer at the Key West Classic, they had the typical epic crappy wind day...seems to happen every year, the day before flat and calm and the day after flat and calm, but the day of?  It sucks!  Anyway, this past race, I knew I wasn't in good enough shape for those conditions and I still had the Fanatic then, so there was no way that I was going to pay for a race that I was going to so frustrated in.  I went down with our club and did board caddy work and such for everyone else.  At the start of the 4 mile race, I ran down to a pier so that I could cheer on the club members that were doing the short course.  The pier was only about 200 yards into the race.  We watched one guy on a Nash Glide fight the wind and hellish chop coming from offshore.  He barely cleared the pier and he was so exhausted from the fight that he began falling...and falling...and falling.   No matter what he did, his nose just turned towards the beach so fast that it was freakish to watch it.  Finally, he went in and his board flipped and I could see that he was using one of those straight down dagger type fins, must have been 10" or longer.  The guy was done and one of our gang jumped off the pier to go get him back onto his board and just had him sit on it and ride it to the beach and then carried his board back for him.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 02:44:00 AM »
a removable skeg 1/3 of board length from nose... easy to put inand remove, helps paddling cross -up wind and buildup stability in chop...part of skeg below board is 1 ft by 4 in.
on a rounded shape board like mine this is a must. to addle out before starting a downwind run or touring when conditions are ustable.i can paddle both sides.when you don't need just pullit out,it takes 2 secs! It works  in 20 knots + winds. shape of skeg with cut out front face is to give some angle.
narrowskegs loose lift atlower speeds,soi try the best compromise between de^th and width.
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

PaddleSpot

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • PaddleSpot.net
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 07:47:31 AM »
My little daggerboard in action

Olivier Drut

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal