Author Topic: San Onofre question  (Read 4192 times)

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
San Onofre question
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:08:48 PM »
Hi all,

It seems there are a couple of people here from the So Cal area so hopefully someone will be able to answer this.  I've been doing SUP since last year (still not that good and probably worse after my daughter was born because I hardly go out) but only in the Newport and Huntington area while I lived in Newport.  I've since moved a bit inland and still haven't tried SUPing in SanO.  I've heard that SUPs are restricted to certain areas.  Is that true?  If so, how can I tell if I am in the right place?

How about padding north to Church's?  or even further north?  Is that off limits to SUPs?

Any help would be great.  I don't want to piss off a bunch of people and give SUPs a bad name.

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: San Onofre question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:24:13 PM »
Don't worry about pissing people off. That happens not because of the craft, but because you're having wayyyy more fun then they are.

Paddle surfers or "craft" (because you have a paddle, you're considered craft. Dont get me started on dudes with webs)
must stay out of the surf line north of the "OK-KO" sign at the far south end of the surf beach. Drive down until you cant anymore, park, paddle out. If you look back to shore and it says "OK", you're good. You'll know that you're in the "KO" zone when one of 3 things happen...
1. the sign reads "KO"
2. One of the grumpy guys starts bitching at you
3. the life guards start bull horning you south.

I guess they have taken to giving folks tickets, but its not rocket science. The waves are mega crowded all in the SanO wave complex, so its not like you'd want to surf through them anyways. The area in front of the plant is a fun place to surf.

As far as Church's (the secret spot everyone in Southern California knows about) goes, it's a little faster wave, but crowded. And as a "craft" you cant surf in the state park part of it, which limits you to in front of the campground area. Fun on a stand up, its hard for anyone (regular surfers) to actually get into to, and make the bowl section. If you're unfamiliar with the area, I would suggest waiting until winter, and stroking up there on off peak swells/times.

Better off heading south through "trails" and surfing one of the 8 million little waves no one is on.

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 03:57:12 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I'm going to head down there on Saturday morning with the family.  It'll be my little girl's first beach day (she's 2 months old).  I'm going to take your advice and go in front of the plant or trails.  I prefer to SUP with no one else around. 

Don't worry about pissing people off. That happens not because of the craft, but because you're having wayyyy more fun then they are.

I know what you mean.  I always get these strange looks from everyone when they see me with a perma-grin while catching the smallest waves. 

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:38:32 PM »
Plan on an early morning or you'll be waiting at the top. It fills up quick on the weekends in the summer time. If its an all day thing and you gots kids, I would head into surf beach at 600 ish and camp out all day. Go down and park past the last cinder block house on the left. Set up a shade shelter and hang out. I may even peddle in withe my bike and a few boards and say hello...

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »
Plan on an early morning or you'll be waiting at the top. It fills up quick on the weekends in the summer time. If its an all day thing and you gots kids, I would head into surf beach at 600 ish and camp out all day. Go down and park past the last cinder block house on the left. Set up a shade shelter and hang out. I may even peddle in withe my bike and a few boards and say hello...

Thanks for the great info.  I'm going to try and get there early but I will likely get resistance from my wife.  She LOVES to sleep in! :)

Anyway if you are down there I would love to try out one of your boards.  I'll be the one on a 12' blue softop grinning from ear to ear.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal