Author Topic: Go Pro?  (Read 25057 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Go Pro?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
I need to get a new Go Pro. I have the earlier surf version...just stopped working one day.

I'd love to have two or three actually. I'd love to mount one under my board for those days on the Cape when there are 100's of seals in the water swimming all around me. Having a front mount, rear mount, and paddle mount for mixing and editing downwinders and surf would be sweet as well.

I'd also love to pair a Go Pro with one of the follow me camera setups. Check this out with a microcopter.

Maybe i can get Pono to build me one... ;D
http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/PointOfInterest#en.2BAC8-Firmware-0.84.viewing_direction_for_waypoints
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
I am in the process of building this one.  
Made and balanced specifically for a GoPro - and it has FPV. (First person viewer) - So I can fly it through goggles to where I can't see it.  Although that is going to take A LOT more practice.

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/stealth-quad-fpv-reconn
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
Very cool Warren. Wish list item for sure.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

UDflyer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I am in the process of building this one. 
Made and balanced specifically for a GoPro - and it has FPV. (First person viewer) - So I can fly it through goggles to where I can't see it.  Although that is going to take A LOT more practice.

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/stealth-quad-fpv-reconn

Thats soo cool. But theyre out of stock:(

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »
Hi Warren,
I think you've probably seen this already, but you can use a servo for the camera and work with a partner.
While one is flying the quadcopter, the other is handling the camera and shooting video.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »
Alternate mount.  The paddle attachment was carved from the spare plastic 4” X 4” black mount that was included with the GoPro HD Hero surf camera. The mount was duck taped to the flat section where the paddle meets the shaft.  Takes advantage of the flat base from the paddle.  Leash around shaft makes sure it doesn't disappear.  Duct tape makes it somewhat modular. 

The most effective trick I have employed was to wear a GoPro chest mount.  Paddle out with the camera on my chest, and only switch to the paddle mount once I have warmed up to the conditions.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »
Hi Warren,
I think you've probably seen this already, but you can use a servo for the camera and work with a partner.
While one is flying the quadcopter, the other is handling the camera and shooting video.

Mine is a fixed mount - so where the copter goes - it shoots. 
The FPV on mine is designed to fly it where you can't see it - inside of buildings / around corners / maybe even into the food court in the mall!   ;D
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
My mount was fixed too.  We were wearing goggles, but for wind protection.  

GoPro'ing can be more fun with friends.  Aerial combat adds to the excitement but may have catastrophic consequences.  Good news was that the GoPro survived despite airframe failure.  PS: Image was a bit foggy from salt air, not poor video quality.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:39:06 PM by Beasho »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
You guys might get hired by the government to fly drones... or maybe the anti drone squad...  I loved that vid.  Thanks

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
Jordanzs - Did you use the LCD back to compose shots, or just put it on burst, point & hope for the best? They seem too well composed for the latter.

I'm debating between a waterproof still camera that can take some video vs the GoPro Hero2. The Hero2 seems like a great option but the lack of a screen is troublesome.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »
Menlo, you can use the LCD back, but truthfully, the lens is such a wide angle that you can just shoot generally and then crop it later if you need. I was personally surprised.

I'm headed to the National Association of Broadcasters show next week and I'll be checking in on all the new stuff from the GoPro guys among others.

I do love getting to wander the show. You can go from a quadcopter and a GoPro to a full Bell JetRanger with a million dollar film rig all in the same square mile. Toys, small to huge.

StuBro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:14 AM »
I just ran across this thread and saw the Jordanz pics.  Absolutely amazing and photography is my other obsession with lens that cost more than quivers of boards yet your stuff looks incredible.  It all goes back to the best photographer is the guy that shoots not the guy who worries about equipment.

The funny thing is that growing up in Hawaii Kai my favorite beach as a kid was Sandys and this makes it look PLENTY scary!!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2012, 12:48:01 AM »
The state of Hawaii trans department bought a camera drone for $75k to fly over the port of Honolulu for security but it turns out they can't fly the thing because of the airport airspace being in the same vicinity.  So they screwed up and have this cool toy they can't use.  I bet they'd take $10k so they can say they sold it and not lose face.  The camera is uh.. slightly better than a GoPro.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal