Author Topic: Go Pro?  (Read 25124 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Go Pro?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
Playing with the go pro... And the Mac. More intuitive than you can believe.  I am not a natural techie and have to work at it... And read directions... And go on line and watch tutorials... But this is really easy... Gonna shoot some vid this weekend, sign up for Vimeo, and figure this out!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
Tim,
You'll do just find.  The only downside is how much time you will spend recording, watching and editing the clips.  It's addictive...

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 05:44:15 AM »
Oftentimes, I wish the Go Pro craze was gone.  Sure, I like to watch the well shot and edited work of places I've never been or learn from video done for instruction.  However, the drawback now is that when I travel to remote places where others also paddle, every Tom, Dick and Harry has this gay box attached to their helmet, board or paddle.  Now, I have accepted the fact that "the man" is watching whenever I'm driving or in virtually EVERY public place.  Now, "the dude" is filming when I'm off in the wilderness seeking an escape from all the trappings of modern civilization. 

Many years ago, non-paddling friends would ask if I have any pictures of some of the places I would travel.  My answer was normally, sorry but no.  The reason is simple, pictures rarely do the subject justice, the product quality will be crap in a few years, and I don't want to be that guy sitting on the sofa remembering the adventures from a picture book when I would rather be reliving them. 

Now, I'm going to go paddle on the last day of 2011 and start the first day of 2012 paddling.  Don't expect any video or pictures of anything cool or stupid that I will do.  I'll have to live with my memories for as long as they last.  Happy new year!

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 07:44:06 AM »
my kid has already made and edited and posted several vids to Vimeo-he and i notice a slight bluriness when we watch the vids on Vimeo?-anyone else?
Anyway i watch him zip around IMovie on the Mac and am just astounded-as you can tell from my Random Atari Ipad Time Waster post, a simple joystick with a red button is about as advanced as i get.
Agree a little bit with Paddle Anything-nowadays people can win surf vacations by using Google Earth and convincing SUrfer to send you there!?-so much for true surf exploration.
But you take the good with the bad and overall i think the Go pro thing is really cool.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 08:42:53 AM »
..... i notice a slight bluriness when we watch the vids on Vimeo?-anyone else?

Yep, slight loss in quality for me too. But still better than what Youtube does to videos.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
paddleanything

I don't mind the gopro documenting some good times to show others I'd like to show my kids the pounding i took that day or a video of them playing at low tide. Yes it is crazy everyone has a phone with video. To me the cell phone has killed those killer surf days that a swell sneaked in and no ones knows about. I run my dogs everyday on the beach and it's always cool  to hear the surf from the house see the wind is right run out on the beach and it's on, no one out. Those days are rare now I run out and guys are on there phones, then the crowd comes. We have had good surf the last few days and Dane Reynolds and crew are posted up with six cameras. Then all the camera guys calling in the wanna be surf stars gets crazy. So those days of telling guys you should have been here yesterday are rare.

I have to say that Roxy video is really cool.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
I am not sure of the sexual orientation of the box attached to my arm.  I can't wait to share the sunrise that I saw this morning with my wife.  Show my son the wave that nailed me inside... And have fun making movies.  And when I am too old to enjoy surfing... Or my future grand kids call me a kook... I will have evidence to perhaps refute their claims...

Peace,

I think admin might have to have a go pro topic for all the vid likely coming...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 11:31:18 PM »
Watching the old movies my dad made as a teen is always fun. If he had been able to do movies from on his board it would be more fun. I like the added first person view the gopro offers.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2012, 07:40:35 AM »
My go pro isn't being recognized by my mac (it was being recognized before) and it won't charge... And when I take the battery out and then plug it in... The light blinks lightly...

Went online and the concensus seems to be that I either have a bad battery or a bad unit... Anyone else have this issue?

I pulled the sd card out and downloaded the vid... But when you have to work hard to figure out tech, this stuff is a real bummer...

Anyone else w this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

trashinwb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »
I know that this has been asked a thousand times over as well, but the forum search tool isn't really giving me the answer. How do I post video? The forum won't let me hot link you tube and I don't know how to embed it....

trashinwb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »

and yesterday, 12/31/2011

http://youtu.be/B_arAphEfWw?hd=1
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:07:20 AM by trashinwb »

enden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »
What are you guys using to edit your GoPro videos?

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
@Tim, you need to power it up and toggle to USB mode.

@Enden, I'm using iMovie on my iMac to edit.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »
Also, it seems you can't charge it and use it at the same time.  If you get it to USB and the red light stays on, leave it until the light goes off.  At first I thought I had charged it enough, only to find it wouldn't record for a full hour.

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
I had problems getting my GoPro Hero 2 after the third week of use. I don't know if the battery ran down too low or if it was a problem with the camera. The camera also started to shoot images out of focus.

After a couple of email attempts at troubleshooting the problem, I sent the camera back to GoPro. I got a new one in the mail about a week and a half later.  Let's hope the replacement lasts longer.
Aloha,
Jeff

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard